PDA

View Full Version : Endgrain turnning

Dan Williams
02-08-2008, 4:39 PM
Is there any way To keep the bark intact when turning Endgrain. I turned a cherry bowl, the bark I left on is seperating as it is drying. Is there a way to prevent this ?

Philip Duffy
02-08-2008, 5:42 PM
Get a bottle of medium CA glue and "walk it around" the top of the rim. Before that, Walk around a bottle of Thin on the cambium layer-- between the wood and the bark. Between the 2 treatments I have had good luck making them stick to the bowl. Make sure all the CA is really dry before you pull that Go switch! Wear your face mask anyway, just in case, and stand aside! Good luck. Philip

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2008, 10:20 PM
I have good luck just using thin CA. I just saturate the cambium and bark with it. Stays pretty well. As Philip said make sure it is dry and wear your face mask.

William Bachtel
02-09-2008, 3:22 PM
Is there any way To keep the bark intact when turning Endgrain. I turned a cherry bowl, the bark I left on is seperating as it is drying. Is there a way to prevent this ?

Yes cut it in the winter when the sap in down out of the tree. Dead of winter, that is. Summer and spring is a time, when trees have excess sap (water) in them. Hence more shrinkage, means bark falls off, and mold can grow, along with other problems, if at all possible cut in the winter to avoid lots of wood turning problems.