PDA

View Full Version : Incra Universal Precision Positioning Jig

Alex Carrera
02-08-2008, 4:28 PM
What's the verdict on this jig? I'm thinking of picking one up at rockler this weekend. For the price ($100 with fence and right angle guide) it looks like flexible tool capable of making very precise joints. I'm even wondering if I can get over the 8" max thickness limitation by mounting it to my Unifence, as my router is in my TS extension table.

Brent Ring
02-08-2008, 6:26 PM
Alex,

I was thinking like you, but then I keep seeing the Incra Ultra Lite at Amazon for only about $20.00 more. I think I am olding out for that at this point. http://www.amazon.com/Incra-ULTRALITESYS-Ultra-Woodworking-System/dp/B00004TRBZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1202513113&sr=8-1

I would rather have the machined aluminum, then the plastic one. IMHO

Wayne Cannon
02-11-2008, 2:49 PM
I think I'm in the minority here, but I found my Incra jigs where less usable that I originally anticipated. They are great for doing indexed work (e.g., uniformly-spaced parallel grooves). A dovetail jig is far faster, and a traditional router fence is both faster, more rigid, and more flexible. I've never done a dovetail within a dovetail.

JayStPeter
02-12-2008, 11:03 AM
I would go for the Ultra Lite myself. On my router table I have a Jointech setup.

You can get over the max travel limitation by mounting the jig to something that is moveable to an extent. But, once you start using it for joinery you cannot move the jig or you lose your reference. So, the pieces you're joining will be limited to the jigs maximum.

These two systems this thread is talking about are not general purpose router table fences. The fence itself needs modification to be used as such. Even then, there are compromises. As delivered you can't use much more than a 3/4" bit. If you want to spin rail/stile, panel cutting, or lock miter bits you have to modify the fence with a larger opening which I've found compromises the integrity of the Incra fences. I modified two of the Incra pro fences and both eventually bent a little bit. Both Incra and Jointech offer more expensive positioners with nice fences that work great as a general purpose router table fence. Alternatively, you could mount a homemade fence to the positioner, then remove it and install the joinery fence when you desire to use it. But, the joinery fence needs to be shimmed to be perfectly square to the table so it takes some effort.

I really like these positioners and the ability they bring for real fine adjustments and repeatability. The joinery capability is really quite limited though. It really depends on what you have and what you hope to get out of it wether you'll be happy with either the cheaper positioner or Ultra lite. If you want to make large drawers and blanket chests, go with something else. If you want to make smaller jewelry boxes, smaller drawers and stuff like that it will work well for you. As bought, the smaller less expensive systems are really only good for that. The bigger more expensive systems work great as more general purpose and finely adjustable router table fences that can also do the small joinery tasks. The smaller systems can be used this way, but it requires you to modify or build the fence portion yourself.