PDA

View Full Version : Can you sandblast stuff in situ?

Darren Null
02-08-2008, 4:10 PM
I've got a possible contract coming up in a hotel- chap wants quite a bit of lasering done BUT he would also like etching done on many glass doors and mirrors...usually to big to even contemplate moving or cemented in place. Or both.

So with a sandblasting rig, can you move the kit to the bit to be blasted? What kind of protective kit is needed; both for the surroundings and for myself, if I'm under the screen?

Would a tarpaulin/lined tarpaulin do to stop the bits going everywhere? Can you do it slower and with less protection? And -importantly- cheaper? I must admit, I don't fancy wearing a diving suit in August here.

Thanks for your help.

Joe Pelonio
02-08-2008, 4:22 PM
Wow, that's going to be messy. All of the glass doors and windows I have done were "fake" etching, in other words, plotter cut vinyl that looks like etched glass. It's a lot less work, and can be pulled off in the future. For doors on site the most I would try is setting up a tent with sawhorses and doing the doors off the hinges for quick replacement. I wouldn't try the windows. It's just too hard to control where the abrasive goes. If each one had completely taped down strong plastic that contained the sand, it would be hazardous for you in there. You would need a hazmat-like suit and an air supply for breathing.

These are vinyl:

Howard Garner
02-08-2008, 4:31 PM
You would need a special sand blast rig for this.
It would include a vacuum opening surrounding the blast nozzle

Even with this you would have dust problems.

Howard Garner

Darren Null
02-08-2008, 6:07 PM
Thanks very much for the info. I was envisioning just wandering up with the compressor & bits, taping some dustsheets around and going for it. Thanks for sorting me out before I made some promises I couldn't keep. That could have been nasty.

Thanks Mr. Pelonio for the fake etching tip. Is there a laser safe version of that vinyl? What is it? Mylar?

Joe Pelonio
02-08-2008, 6:26 PM
Thanks very much for the info. I was envisioning just wandering up with the compressor & bits, taping some dustsheets around and going for it. Thanks for sorting me out before I made some promises I couldn't keep. That could have been nasty.

Thanks Mr. Pelonio for the fake etching tip. Is there a laser safe version of that vinyl? What is it? Mylar?
No, it's vinyl. The one made by Arlon, according to their tech people, contains very little PVC and should be OK for lasering but they could not give me anything in writing. I have plotters anyway so it wasn't a problem for me.
I don't know of any made with laser safe material but you might try googling
etched glass film.

Keith Outten
02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Darren,

There is a portable sand blaster that is a self contained unit (vac and blaster) that has a protective muzzle around the blast nozzle that is designed for blasting glass in place. I have seen the portable blaster listed for $850.00. You also would need a portable compressor.

Bill Cunningham
02-09-2008, 10:17 PM
You could also cut a mask, and use chemical etching..

Doug Bergstrom
02-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Although I have not tried it on glass yet, we have made many acrylic signs and displays that we cut a mask and us and orbital sander to "frost" the acrylic. Works great and looks just like it had been blasted.

Darren Null
02-14-2008, 4:17 PM
Thanks for the information. You guys saved me from making a right muppet of myself. And the chap owns 5 other hotels, so muppetdom is a professional impression I'm trying to avoid.

Gonna have to research that portable rig. And the vinyl. I have got all the tips for chemical etching, but don't really have the room for experimenting...not with kids around.

I can't envision how the orbital sander thing works. I can see cutting a hard mask and using a dremel- what can you use for mask that the sander isn't going to go through.

Darren Null
02-15-2008, 7:17 PM
There is a portable sand blaster that is a self contained unit (vac and blaster) that has a protective muzzle around the blast nozzle that is designed for blasting glass in place. I have seen the portable blaster listed for $850.00. You also would need a portable compressor.
I may be able to blag the hotel into buying one for the job. Could you give me a brand or search term please?

Greg Busch
02-17-2008, 9:49 AM
Darren,

It may be worth your while posting this query over at cutting edge sandcarving forum.
There are a few people over there that do onsite work, One poster, Randall in particular does a lot of display glass blasting.
quite a few others do onsite work as well but mainly outside with stone.

Every time i go past a door or window that looks like its been blasted i have a closer look or a feel and i reckon 9 times out of 10 its plotter cut vinyl.

Best of Luck
Buschy

Keith Outten
02-18-2008, 1:42 AM
I may be able to blag the hotel into buying one for the job. Could you give me a brand or search term please?

Darren,

Here is a link to a portable sand blaster at Northern Tools. There are other companies that sell the same or similar model. This unit is basically the blaster and vacuum combined, you have to provide an air compressor that most likely would be located outside on a trailer.

I had an opportunity to discuss this unit with my local glass provider who owns the same model. He claims it works well enough for remote work but they never use it in their shop. They own several large cabinet style blasters that are faster that allow large panes to slide through the cabinet on a track. Note the portable unit does not allow you to see the area you are blasting, you basically use it as a wand to pass over the surface/mask.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_138744_138744

Ron Hamilton
02-22-2008, 3:38 AM
I have been a sandblaster for some years now and have the blasting unit mentioned in the threads, I quit the onsite stuff because of the hassell and this unit is only good for blasting stencils eg lettering and small graphics. on large areas of frosting work it leaves streaks that are almost impossible to blend out.

This is because the sandblast tip is to close to the glass because of the brush shroud. If you need to frost out large areas it needs to be free blasted. Dust Dust Dust it will find alarm systems,computers, etc. You also need a fresh air helmet as your lungs will compalin bitterly. No Money is worth your health.........

The vinyl solution is the best way it looks great and as stated can be removed at some future date if needed.

Ron.......

Darren Null
02-24-2008, 6:17 PM
Again, thanks very much. I'd already guessed that you'd be firing blind (from the descriptions). Looking at the machine, it says that it's suitable for 'preparing a surface for refinishing'. Probably not good for artistic finish.