PDA

View Full Version : To sapwood or not to sapwood, that is the question

Bill Wyko
02-08-2008, 3:17 PM
I know many wood workers like to loose the sapwood but myself, I like the natural contrast. I'd like to get your opinions on this subject please

Jesse Cloud
02-08-2008, 3:27 PM
I like to use sapwood. When putting together veneered panels, sapwood on the edge will make a striking bookmatch. In hardwood panels, I sometimes try to lessen the contrast or make it more interesting with dyes and glazes. For instance, on walnut, I dye the sapwood to a golden tobacco-like color. Lots of contrast, but not stark.

Peter Quinn
02-08-2008, 4:07 PM
Been told its less stable in most species. Like the look of it, especially in woods like walnut, butternut, apple. Guess I'm afraid of it behaving badly. Usually lose it. Made custom interior doors commercially, most clients specified no sap, no streaks, no mineral stains. Got trained to cut it out. Maybe furniture clients are more daring?

Richard M. Wolfe
02-08-2008, 6:15 PM
Like most subjects, I see no absolute. It depends on the wood and on the project. I would guess overall I get rid of the sapwood more than keep it.

Jess Wetherhold
02-08-2008, 6:28 PM
I vote yes. Here are a couple of photos of some recent orders. The sapwood was requested by the customers. Cutting boards or furniture, I really think it can add something nice and still remain quite stable.

Earl Reid
02-08-2008, 7:14 PM
I like to use a mix of sapwood.

Earl

Jim Becker
02-08-2008, 9:30 PM
I really can't respond to the poll as-is because there is no "it depends upon the project" entry and for me, "it depends upon the project". For my natural edge piece, there is always sap. For finer furniture, I generally avoid it, although a small amount did sneak into a current cabinetry face frame, but in an unobtrusive way.

Dave MacArthur
02-08-2008, 9:34 PM
Jess, I love those two pieces--what is the red wood, just a dyed product? And what is the function of the 2nd piece?

Sapwood, I like contrast--I've only used it once, but I think I'm leaning towards it more and more.

Bill Wyko
02-09-2008, 12:35 AM
I vote yes. Here are a couple of photos of some recent orders. The sapwood was requested by the customers. Cutting boards or furniture, I really think it can add something nice and still remain quite stable.

Home run Jess on both pieces. Is it Bloodwood and rosewood or maby walnut? Great use of the sapwood.

Steve Roxberg
02-09-2008, 10:14 AM
You need to have a yes, no and both. Depends on the piece and what I'm trying to accomplish.

John Shuk
02-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I have to say it depends. I've seen sapwood included on a lot of pieces that I really like. Cocobolo for instance is really nice with sapwood included.

Jess Wetherhold
02-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys. The first board is walnut and padouk. When I finished the first one I wasn't even sure that I liked it but I sold 6 at Christmas. Go figure.
The second was an order that I was very hesitant about. The customer wanted a 1/2" thick board that fit over his kitchen double sink. I informed him that in a few weeks he would have a banana board and I finally agreed to make it 3/4" thick. It's been 8 months and I haven't heard anything so I guess it is fairing well.
This is my personal favorite:

Kevin Godshall
02-10-2008, 5:47 PM
I like to use and see the natural beauty of the wood. So whenever possible, its a clear coat and whatever figure I can get out of the wood. Sapwood is a definite yes in my book, and judging from the products I've made with it, and the small amount of time they remain in my possession, I will keep using it.