PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Lathe, Old Iron,

Ben Abate
02-08-2008, 1:16 PM
Hello Folks,

I have the opportunity to acquire a great old piece of woodworking equipment. It is an old Oliver lathe, this thing is huge. I was looking to contact Lou Sansone because Lou seems to know more about these pieces as anyone. I looked in the members list for his name to PM him but the name didn't fit the profile. It says Lou is only a member and not a contributor, I doubt that because of how much he contributes here in the way of knowledge. Are there two Lou Sansones that belong to the Creek? I was looking for the one that lives in Conn.

Anyway, if some one else could shed some light on this I would be grateful. It is a 1953 era machine and on the head casting the words Type "F" are casted in. This machine is at least 12 feet long, maybe 15 feet long. It has a factory duplicator on it and must weigh at least 3000 to 4000 lbs. I like old iron but I'm no expert. I know when I was at Lou's shop once he had one that was similar to this. But this one maybe bigger. And I think Lou's was a Yates and not an Oliver. I could be wrong about that.

thanks for any info
Ben

David G Baker
02-08-2008, 2:30 PM
Things do not exist with out pictures. I would love to see what it looks like.

Ben Abate
02-08-2008, 3:27 PM
David,

It exists in a steel mill that is going thru some changes. It hasn't been run in years but is from what I can tell still intact. It is sort of buried behind a few large shelving stantions. But it will shortly be uncovered within a few days or weeks depending on the clean up schedule. I'll see if I can get a few pictures of it. That maybe a hard thing to do, cameras are not allowed in most manufacturing industries because of giving out trade information. I discovered it setting there, everyone said they had forgot about it. I don't think anyone else has interest in it. I don't know if I do, this thing is big.

Ben

Matt Day
02-08-2008, 3:53 PM
Have you looked through the archives at OWWM? Those guys are the experts.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-08-2008, 4:05 PM
Forget it Ben. Oliver made some fine machinery but their lathes were not even good as boat anchors. It's trash, forget it.

What was the guy's phone number by the way?

CW McClellan
02-09-2008, 1:02 AM
I've got a 167 Oliver -- Eagle Man. has all parts ect. for them --they bought the molds ect. I got a few things from them for mine --nice outfit to do business with also. :D ITS MADE IN USA

Mike Vickery
02-09-2008, 2:43 AM
Hello Folks,

I I looked in the members list for his name to PM him but the name didn't fit the profile. It says Lou is only a member and not a contributor, I doubt that because of how much he contributes here in the way of knowledge. Ben
Contributor means you donated money at the last membership drive. It has nothing to do with anything but monetary contribution. SO it is probably the same guy.

robert hainstock
02-09-2008, 7:49 AM
Well said C.W.
Bob

CW McClellan
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I looked and said he was 2007 Contributor:)

Ben Abate
02-09-2008, 6:03 PM
Fellows,

I know this lathe is too much for me. But if some one want this thing I'll do my best to acquire it for you and all you have to do is come and get it. I'll have loading arranged and all paper work. Of course I'll expect a small finders fee. But seriously if one of you guys think this is something you want I'll see if it is going to be up for sale.

Ben

Alex Cam
02-09-2008, 6:12 PM
Hi Ben,

Brian Weick has an old Oliver that he restored to immaculate condition. He's an encyclopedia of information on them, and has helped me out more than a few times. You won't find a nicer Oliver enthusiast.

Alex

Allen Neighbors
02-09-2008, 7:14 PM
A man here in Childress has an old Oliver. It's all wrapped up with plastic wrap, and looks like it's in immaculate condition. He's had it for about 15 years, and has never used it. Says he's waiting 'til he retires. I've tried to buy it several times, but he won't budge. His isn't quite as long as the one mentioned in this thread, I think it's about 6 or 7 feet long. He wants to spin some metal with it.
I'd try OWWM, as Matt suggested. They'll be able to tell you all about it, and may even have a manual for it.

Ben Abate
02-10-2008, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the help fellows, I'm going to spend some time looking into this lathe just for the heck of it. I've always appreciated these machines but I'm like a lot of guy with restrictions to space and access.

Thanks once again
Ben

Hilel Salomon
02-10-2008, 8:46 AM
Hi,

I tried looking one up in oldwoodworkingmachines.com but the site keeps coming up as an error. In the past, I've gone to this site for tons of info. on old tablesaws, bandsaws and lathes. Oliver, I think, made many different kinds of lathes and many turners have them. If I'm not mistaken, they were bought up and the Oliver name is currently used in the manufacture of woodworking machinery such as jointers. Their site might also help out.
Regards, Hilel.

Bob Hallowell
02-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Ben,
look up current member Brian Weick, he just recon'd an old oliver and if you look in the "turners and the lathes" or in the turner interview you will see his monsterous lathe.

Bob

Kaptan J.W. Meek
02-10-2008, 7:54 PM
I have an Oliver "59" or 159 I think.. It's heavily modified but it works well.. 12" swing and about 50" of usable bed length.. I bought it, and my dad and I did a "restoration" on it.. I couldn't find all the original parts, so like I said it's "modified"... I'm turning a cherry hollow form on it right now, so maybe some pics in a day or two.. I'm having trouble hollowing out the thing though.. I've got that discussed in another thread.. Good luck with the big "O"!

Jim Underwood
02-10-2008, 10:05 PM
The Old Woodworking Machines site is still out there. I think it's changed the domain name so you'll have to Google it. That site is chock full of info on old iron.

I'd love to see someone pick up this old Oliver. If I had room and was nearby, I might get it. Hate to see the thing get scrapped.

Brian McInturff
02-10-2008, 10:37 PM
And there just happens to be a Model F picture over there. The site is back up and running again. The Model F looks like it runs off of a Jack shaft. Has 84" between centers too. No room in my shop for it, that's for sure.

Kim Ford
02-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Ben, If you think it is an Oliver, dig around and get the serial number. Put in a call to Rich Fink at Eagle Machinery and Rich will tell you immeadiately if you have an Oliver, and probably it's life story.

If it is a big old Oliver, then you may have a find. Love em or leave em they were great machines that were made for industry and may or may not be something that will work for you. Don't be afraid of the weight, that's why they rent forklifts. Just make sure that you have enough room in your shop..

Good Luck

Hilel Salomon
02-11-2008, 9:21 AM
Thanks Brian,
It's back up, and here's the last thing I looked at on the site when I bookmarked it. Might be interesting.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=185
Hilel

John Cooper2
04-02-2008, 2:06 AM
For a big Oliver I would build the room.

Might even travel cross country.

Matt Hutchinson
04-02-2008, 8:05 AM
Oliver lathes rock my world. Oliver's big iron was even commissioned by the US NAVY shipyards (if I remember correctly)!! Anywho, I live in Grand Rapids, MI, the home and birthplace of Oliver. I have been to the original factory, and they are really helpful there. If you can get the serial number off the machine, they can tell you EXACTLY when it was built, and who bought it. They currently use the name Eagle Machinery, because the owner of the company sold the name. Search for Eagle Machinery in Grand Rapids, and you will get their homepage.

I have old iron, but not Oliver. Get it if you have the room and you can afford it. You'll regret it later if you don't. Of course, I am partial. GOod Luck!

Hutch

P.S. Cliff, I know yer joking.

Steve Ash
04-03-2008, 5:18 AM
I have a Oliver 159 that I did a restoration/restification to and documented it here on SMC.

There is a series of updates if you look under my "started threads" in profile.

But there is a post by John Hart in this thread

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36322

that shows a few pictures at different stages of the process.

And if you look you can find one finished and chromed somewhere in those old posts/updates.

Brian Weick
04-09-2008, 7:48 PM
Where you able to get some pictures of the "Oliver Lathe" ~ I am a little curious about the lathe you found. I own what is commonly known as a "20C" pattern lathe - However,,, there is an "F" stamped on the headstock and all the individual parts that makes up the lathe. this lathe that you are looking at must run in age around 90~ 100 years old. If what you are saying is correct than there a few things you need to take in consideration~ first of which is the bed ways. Being in a Steel plant , it may have been used for other applications than what it was designed for. Check to see if they are true through out the entire length. the lathe will also come with babbitt bearings or brass sleeve~ either of which is probably out of wear and may need to be addressed. You do have options to update the headstock bearings, if this is the case. It does involve sending the headstock along with the tail stock off to the machinist for new high thrust/high load capacity bearings that will alter the operation to a very precise rotation and very smooth operation of the spindle and drive system~ the other is the drive system itself- It probably is the 2.25 or 2.5 leather belt with the 4 step combination drive system,that can be updated as well. if this lathe is in good condition, in my opinion , it is definitely worth looking into.
Good luck,:)
Brian