PDA

View Full Version : "Band" saw tension

Tim Allaire
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I own a Jet 1hp bandsaw and just recently realized that the tension should be let off if not in use. I have not used it for two months and the blade is still set at the same opperating tension as I had previously had it; will it affect the preformance of the saw? I plan to go this afternoon to take the tension off...what should it be left on if I am not using it for long periods of time?

Tim

Lance Norris
02-08-2008, 2:00 PM
Tim... its hard on the rubber tires. I have read its hard on the blades and bearings also. Release the tension enough to take the strain off as much as you feel is needed. I release mine all the way. Carter makes a quick tension release for your saw that works really well. Its around $150 but is nice because when re-engaged, your tension is right back where you were when released.

Keith Spaniel
02-08-2008, 8:33 PM
Tim,
wait for the blade to stop before you loosen the blade. I didnt once ,and the blade came off. I bought a single pole handle for turning the tention, i just count 10 time to loosen and then 10 to tighten. Keith

Pete Bradley
02-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Or don't bother. I almost never do. Bearings don't care, tires are cheap, and they don't go bad quickly whether you detension or not.

Pete