PDA

View Full Version : Wood facade on fridge and dishwasher??

Chris Yarish
02-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I have seen high end kitchens where their appliances have received the same wood treatment as the cabinetry.

I saw a magazine article where they refaced a dishwasher. I'm just curious if anyone has done this or has any links to a "how to" page for this operation.

I have a Bosch dishwasher where all the buttons are internally located, so regardless of the facing of the machine, I can still operate it.

jason lambert
02-08-2008, 10:50 AM
I have done this you need to contact bosh and see of they make a trim kit for a wood pannel for your model, in the kit is all the dementions and instructions. Basically you take off the frount and replace it with the trim kit and it puts a 1/4" lip around to mount a panel in. You make the panel and mount it ot a 1/4 board and finish the whole thing in your favorite finish.

Chris Yarish
02-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks....

Mitchell Andrus
02-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Be aware of the kind of slight problem I had. Even the pros (in my case Crown Point, in NH) can miss by a bit. Notice that to get the D/W door to open, I had to reduce the size so it looks a bit 'off' - it's can't line up with the rest of the cabinets and the bottom.

Photo is from Crown Point's website.

Jim Becker
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Jason is correct...the right trim kit for the appliance will make the job a lot more practical and even doable.

Gene O. Carpenter
02-08-2008, 5:08 PM
I have done this you need to contact bosh and see of they make a trim kit for a wood pannel for your model, in the kit is all the dementions and instructions. Basically you take off the frount and replace it with the trim kit and it puts a 1/4" lip around to mount a panel in. You make the panel and mount it ot a 1/4 board and finish the whole thing in your favorite finish.

Yes that dish washer accessory panel kit is great BUT it ads the weight of the panel to the door weight so when you open the box make sure that it contains two ( 2 ) long replacement door springs AND make sure to install them in place of the originals..
They are stronger to compensate for the extra weight! If you do not install them and the person loading it for use doesn't hold and lower the door all the way to the "stops", instead they just let it fall, until the hinges contact the cabinet frame and the momentum causes the hinges and the door inner panel to warp slightly..
After a few of these "droppings" the door will not close properly at the top, the latch won't close, the dishwasher won't work and you'll end up doing those dirty dishes yourself.........
Then you'll call for repair!! A set of hinges, a door frame, a inner panel and a correct set of springs..Plus an hour,maybe an hour & a half plus a service charge = cheaper to buy new d/w!!
I replaced a couple hundred of those "dropped doors" from 1964 to 1992..And prices have risen drasticly since then...
Gene