PDA

View Full Version : Finished Computer Desk- Winter Project

Rick Lasita
03-07-2004, 12:35 PM
For those of you that don't often visit the quiet side, each winter I try to do a "big" project, well for me, this is it. I have attached are a couple of pictures of the computer desk I just finished. It was featured in FWW August 2003 and was built by Charles Durfee. I used white oak, and applied 2 coats of General Finishes Shaker Maple, 2 coats of GF poly blend, and wax. This project allowed me to attempt hand cut dovetails, half-blinds for the front of the drawers and through for the backs. I killed some electrons too, but I cut a LOT of dovetails, and I could actually see the last ones look better than the first ones. I really enjoyed building this project. I am going to tuck those wires up along the apron on the left, and the cabinet on the right.Thanks for looking, Rick

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-07-2004, 1:20 PM
Rick
Very Nice!
Daniel :cool:

John Miliunas
03-07-2004, 1:39 PM
My hat's off to you, Rick! I've attempted hand-cut dovetails (just through DT's) and failed miserably. I couldn't imagine myself doing HB ones! :rolleyes: Very, very nice job on the desk, though I can't help notice that you do indeed have several electron killers in the background! :D Lovely piece of furniture and well done! :cool:

Bruce Page
03-07-2004, 1:55 PM
Nice work Rick, the color is very rich looking. I really like the cabinet doors hiding the drawer fronts but I cannot for the life of me, figure out where they disappear to when the drawers are open! :confused:

Good looking shop helper too!

Rick Lasita
03-07-2004, 2:54 PM
but I cannot for the life of me, figure out where they disappear to when the drawers are open!

Bruce, should have included this picture too to take away the mystery :cool: as you can see, they are bi-fold doors and swing to the side so you can access the drawers. Rick

Waymon Campbell
03-07-2004, 6:04 PM
Very classy piece Rick. Well done.

Bruce Page
03-07-2004, 7:32 PM
but I cannot for the life of me, figure out where they disappear to when the drawers are open!

Bruce, should have included this picture too to take away the mystery :cool: as you can see, they are bi-fold doors and swing to the side so you can access the drawers. Rick

Thanks Rick, eye’s understand now. :rolleyes: