PDA

View Full Version : Who let the Corel dude in here?

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Hey folks!

I didn't see an intro forum or anything so I thought I would post here..if this is the wrong pls feel free to move/bump/delete me. A few points...

- I'm not here to sell to try and sell anything
- I've been working at Corel for 14.5 yrs. I started in Tech Support...moved up through the ranks there and then moved to Engineering some 10 years ago this March...
- Official title is User Experience Designer...geeky or what?
- My role is to hang out with customers, see what gives them grief and then I try to make that easier in the next version of software
- Mike Clarke was in for a visit yesterday and told me I was crazy that I wan't hanging out in these forums...so..here I am....it's Mikes fault :>>>>

T.

Scott Shepherd
02-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Welcome Tony! It's really great to see someone with your experience and influence in the product come to this forum and listen to the users. That really means a lot to me, for sure.

Nice to have you here, I hope you stick around for a long time.

Joe Pelonio
02-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Welcome, Tony. Most of us with lasers here use Corel so it's great to have you here to help us out!

Barb Macdonald
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Nice to see you on the forum, welcome!!!
Mike Clarke, my tech ace for all things I can't figure out, has been a great resource/extra-smart brain over the years. I bought my first rotary from Mikes' Dad, for goodness sakes, I'm OLD!!

While I'm typing, can I ask, what does PhotoGrav do, that Corel Photo Paint can't?
I'm still not quite clear on why I'd spend $$ on PhotoGrav, when I have PhotoPaint?

Have a great day, enjoy the snow:)

Barb

corel x3, epilog legend ext 60watt, and other useful stuff.....

Phyllis Meyer
02-08-2008, 10:56 AM
How much time have you got on your hands? I have a feeling you will be bombarded with questions! Let's see, where is my notepad with my million questions...?

Welcome and have a great day!
Phyllis:)

Bruce Volden
02-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Welcome!!!! This is just ANOTHER example of what makes SMC a fantastic resource. Where else can you get manufacturing rep's, tech rep's, manufacturing companies....and now SOFTWARE dudes;) Thanks for joining!

Bruce

Anthony Welch
02-08-2008, 11:33 AM
...and thanks for joining our group of some of the finest folks I know.

I'm fairly new to the laser business and using corel as well. These guys have been great in helping me resolve my lack of knowledge of Corel.

There is one issue that I have. Take a look http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72466&highlight=background ... if you can add to it, please by all means. The work around is OK, but time consuming.

Again, Welcome!

Mike Null
02-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Tony

Thank you for joining us. I look in on the Corel newsgroup occasionally and see your name.

I hope you'll visit often as we seem to need more help than you can imagine.

One thing that's popping up lately is Corel, Vista and laptops. A number of our members have experienced all manner of Corel problems with Vista and with Vista on laptops. If you can shed any light on that it would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Rawn
02-08-2008, 1:18 PM
Thanks Tony for taking the plunge into the creek. A great group of people and a great many topics. It is nice to have a software tech on board.:)

Kevin Huffman
02-08-2008, 1:45 PM
Welcome to the creek man.
Good to have you aboard.

Gregg Vaughn
02-08-2008, 1:56 PM
Tony .... There are a lot of us trying to make friends with Corel. I'm glad to see you here and I'm sure I'll have lots of questions ...

John Lewandowski
02-08-2008, 1:59 PM
Thanks for hanging out with us. Like it or not, you will certainly find honest opinions and feedback. You will find this to be a good place.

John

pete hagan
02-08-2008, 2:23 PM
From someone who started using Corel on a 386 with OMG 4m of RAM (boy that was hot!) we welcome you and throw you the obligatory live preserver rings because you really jumped into a deep creek here! WELCOME

So how do you.....err I'll wait.

Vicky Orsini
02-08-2008, 3:17 PM
Hey Tony! Welcome to the Creek. So ... how long have you been a glutton for punishment? :D Just kidding. ;)

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-08-2008, 5:35 PM
Welcome to the creek Tony. Hope you enjoy these people as much as we have. They have saved us on more than one occassion.

Oh . . . by the way I am one of those that are having issues with Vista and laptops, I'm on my second laptop.

Now you'll get a laugh out of this. I waited two years from December of 2005 to December 2007, to buy the upgrade from 12 to 13, cause I was waiting on X4 to come but I went ahead and order X3 on 12-29-07. Needless to say I wasn't real happy with myself shortly there after, then I laughed at the whole thing and order the X4 upgrade too!

Welcome to the creek.

God Bless,
Zelma (Pslam 18:2):)

Darren Null
02-08-2008, 5:46 PM
Hi Tony,

One suggestion for your next release is to look here:
http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/
No offense intended, but THAT'S how to trace. Maybe you can lease their code or work out how they do it? Still a bit weak on text, but a definite leap forward for graphics and logos.

I'm skint, so can't say from personal experience (still on X3 and likely to remain so for a while), but well done on reintroducing the centerline trace...good move for us laser types. I'm still doing that sort of stuff the hard way, but look forward to getting X4.

Congratulations from the user experience point of view in the increased stability of Corel. I remember -and it wasn't so long ago- that coreldraw would explode on a regular basis...usually when you least needed it and taking out a significant proportion of whatever else you were doing on the computer. It's a lot better now. Thanks.

One feature that I do quite miss from earlier versions is the texture editor. Excellent for webdesign.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-08-2008, 5:59 PM
There is one issue that I have. Take a look http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=72466&highlight=background ... if you can add to it, please by all means. The work around is OK, but time consuming.
Again, Welcome!

I posted my thoughts..hopefully that helps.

T.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-08-2008, 6:01 PM
While I'm typing, can I ask, what does PhotoGrav do, that Corel Photo Paint can't? I'm still not quite clear on why I'd spend $$ on PhotoGrav, when I have PhotoPaint?

I'm a little rusty on Photograv..but if memory serves it converts pictures to 1 bit black and white with a special dot pattern (stochastic if memory serves)....in PHOTO-PAINT if you convert to black and white you can select the different Halftone types to be used and one of them will probably look pretty darn good when engraving.

The only thing that comes to mind is that you can't play with the gamma when you're in that convert to black and white dialog whereas you can in PHotograv

T.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-08-2008, 6:02 PM
How much time have you got on your hands? I have a feeling you will be bombarded with questions! Let's see, where is my notepad with my million questions...?

Welcome and have a great day!
Phyllis:)

Is there a place to put suggestions for software? I didn't see a software form so I jumped in here.

Maybe the forum admin could start a sticky post called CorelDRAW Suggestions and folks could add to that.

Tonythekingoflists

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-08-2008, 6:06 PM
I think I posted elsewhere about laptop stuff and DRAW refresh issues....if that's not what's giving you angst pls start a new thread and I'll check it out on Monday.
T.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-08-2008, 6:06 PM
I've seen that Stanford thing...pretty crazy.
T.

Darren Null
02-08-2008, 6:37 PM
There's several ways of converting to black and white. Corel has a couple of (quite old) algorhythms which don't don't really do the job. I use Andromeda's Etchtone photoshop filter; which isn't as good as photograv, but it just works on the graphic -without machine specs being taken into the equation- and gets reasonable results for me.

Here's what I want from coreldraw as a laser engraver....
.Harvard-quality tracing, but does text and intricate symbols too
.A hardcore convert to black and white algorhythm.

Jeanette Brewer
02-08-2008, 6:41 PM
- Mike Clarke was in for a visit yesterday and told me I was crazy that I wan't hanging out in these forums...so..here I am....it's Mikes fault :>>>>

Welcome, Tony! If you visited with Mike Clarke yesterday, you visited with one of my very favorite people. Our families go WAAAAAAYYYYY back.

When I see Mike in Vegas later this month, I'll thank him for sending you our way!

Mark Winlund
02-08-2008, 8:13 PM
Hi Tony.... I've been a Corel user since Corel Headline. Every version from 1 to X3. The one thing I would like to see is a true curve distortion... similar to the old Casmate, and also Flexisign Pro. I can hardly count the times I have had to create a true curve distortion in some other program and then import it into Corel.

In case you don't follow, a true curve distortion is an image that is distorted to fit exactly into an area defined by two concentric circles.

Used a lot in circular signs and logos. Corel can't do it.

Regards, Mark

Larry Bratton
02-08-2008, 8:51 PM
Is there a place to put suggestions for software? I didn't see a software form so I jumped in here.

Maybe the forum admin could start a sticky post called CorelDRAW Suggestions and folks could add to that.

Tonythekingoflists
Welcome Tony,
I would say that at Sawmill Creek, this is the place that has more Corel users than others. We're all laser engravers and most use one version or another. I personally use X3 now, but have been a user since Version 6? long time. Foster Coburn bootcamp graduate in 1995 I think it was. Thanks for coming here.

Bill Cunningham
02-09-2008, 8:22 PM
Hello Tony.. Welcome... By your comment:

One can only assume that Mike has been silently lurking here for a while Now.. Hi Mike!!!! You've been 'outed' :D

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
02-13-2008, 5:16 PM
Hey Mark!

Can you email me an example of that?
tony.severenuk@corel.com

Ricky Gore
02-13-2008, 6:06 PM
Tony,
I have a suggestion.

When creating a Fit Text To Path on a circle, you use this drop down.
http://www.chiggerhill.com/Corel-FT2P1.jpg

A lot of times I want to put the text in the bottom of the circle, right side up, I know how to do it, but it bothers me that it doesn't have this as an option in the drop down. I'm on X3, so I don't know if the new does this or not.
http://www.chiggerhill.com/Corel-FT2P2.jpg

Thanks,
Ricky

James Stokes
02-13-2008, 7:32 PM
Ricky, X4 is better for putting text on a path. You can grab the text and pull it to where you want hit the mirror button and it is done.

Levi Chanowitz
02-14-2008, 3:03 PM
I would like a horozontal and vertical line fill similar to the hatch fill in the engraving programs. This will help me with mecanical engraving paths for logos

Mark Winlund
02-14-2008, 3:52 PM
Hey Mark!

Can you email me an example of that?
tony.severenuk@corel.com

Hi Tony... sorry about the delay; Trying to make a buck! (With Corel, of course!) Here is the sample. I have made it extreme to show the differences. Note the tapered vertical strokes. In sign usage, the effect is more subtle. The Arced text will look much more homogenous, more than just placing letters on an arc. This one was done with Flexisign Pro, which preserves the bezier curves. The old Casmate will do this also, but converts it to straight line segments.

Mark

Mike Klafehn
02-14-2008, 8:59 PM
Hey Tony! Welcome from yet another creek member and loyal Corel user.

If there was one thing that you could tell me how to do it would have to be with the printer or how Corel handles the printer driver.

I use Corel for more than just engraving so what I would like Corel to do would be to save the printer I am using with the file. I hate to say this but Illustrator does this and it is a time saver.

Whenever you open a file, the printer you used the last time you opened that file is still there, instead of reverting back to the default one. I print to 3 or 4 different printers including my laser and it's a pain to keep selecting the correct one everytime I open up a file I used previously.

Thanks and hope your stay is a pleasant one.