PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw recomendations

Prashun Patel
02-08-2008, 9:46 AM
Ok, I'm thinking to get a band saw this year. Never owned one, but cutting out some zeroclearance throatplates with my Skil jigsaw is making me hungry.

Any recomendations? I'm a weekend warrior - not a pro - but I appreciate a good tool, so I really want a decent entry level bsaw that'll last me 10 years.

To give you an idea of the kinda tool owner I am: I have Delta (don't laugh!) Shopmaster table and miter saws and they work great for me. It's for a basement shop.

Off topic: I really love the tablesaw. While less powerful than a lot of contractor saws, it's fully enclosed, quiet, and accurate. I'd highly recommend it for a beginner like I was - er, am - ...It's really been a great tool to learn on.

Alex Berkovsky
02-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Shawn,
I think you need to provide more details... other than cutting ZCI, what else do you plan on using it for? (i.e. resawing)

Jim Becker
02-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Shawn, it would be helpful to know your budget for folks to make a recommendation so that you can get the most for what you can afford. The range is quite large!

That said, I like beefy when you can manage it, preferring a design, such as the Grizzly G0513-type which is more of a Euro design than the more typical North American design saws like the Delta/Jet/Grizzly 14" models. But the latter are also good machines that will do a whole lot of work. So again...what's our target budget so we can help you better?

Prashun Patel
02-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Cutting thin/narrow stock for edge banding and molding, resawing/making veneer.

I know enough to know that once I get a tool, I end up using it way more and in a million more ways than I anticipated at purchase.

There's just a lot of cuts i find I need to make on everything from rough shop projects to nicer work that are beyond what my other saws can do.

Prashun Patel
02-08-2008, 10:14 AM
Shawn, it would be helpful to know your budget for folks to make a recommendation so that you can get the most for what you can afford. The range is quite large!

thnks, Jim. Definitely under $500. If under $400, then great.

Alex Berkovsky
02-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Shawn,
On your budget, I would look into a Grizzly G0555 or maybe start looking on craigslist for a used bandsaw.

Ryan Eldridge
02-08-2008, 1:37 PM
Shawn,

I was going through the same process you are. I ended up going with the craftsman 14" it seemed well reviewed and currently the price is right for it. Sears has it at 20% of $469 and then if you are in the craftsman club another 10% off of that.

I ordered mine online for instore pickup and apparently that meant I get a 3-d sander (not sure what that is) sent to me for no additional cost. It might be something you want to look into or at least read up more on the saw and see if it will fit your needs.

Peter Quadarella
02-08-2008, 1:57 PM
In your price range you are looking for a 14" bandsaw. I can't say the particular brand to go for as their are lots of choices; in the 17" class I have decided on a Grizzly.

Prashun Patel
02-08-2008, 2:20 PM
thanks ALL!!!

Dave MacArthur
02-08-2008, 5:00 PM
Shawn, click the link in my signature for some more threads on choosing a bandsaw.