PDA

View Full Version : Clamping straps?

Al Willits
02-08-2008, 8:47 AM
I bought some of the 1" wide clamping straps that Rockler sells, they were on sale and I didn't have any, so I figured why not...
Last night I tried to use them, and on one the locking mechanism fell apart, the other did work but slips when tightened, but the third one worked ok.
Anyway, not overly happy with this model and would like to find some better ones.

Considering I had just applied the glue when the one fell apart, I don't have a lot of confidence in them, any suggestions for better ones?
tia

Al

James Sweeney
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I had the same issue, I thought they were a good deal and how could someone screw up such a simple tool. Not happy with mine either, it slips when tightened. I will most likely throw it in the garbage. In the past I have used regular ratcheting straps that you buy to strap things down in a truck. They sell at any HD or Menards. Usually they are pretty cheap and you can tighten them as tight as you like. You have to be carefull though since they get so tight, sometimes it can make nasty indents on the wood.

Randal Stevenson
02-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Also interested. I am wondering if anyone has the Bessy's? I know my father received one from my sister for Christmas (Shop Fox brand), and it looks more like a plain old EXPENSIVE truck strap.

Chris Padilla
02-08-2008, 10:46 AM
I have a band clamp from Bessey...has worked very well for me. Do a search...there was thread a couple days ago regarding band clamps.

Al Willits
02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Checked the search and came up with Merle and Bessey, but how do these work when they not supported, looks like the handle is heavy enough to cause problems when clamping tall items, like a TV cabinet.

I liked the Rockler design as the clamping mechanism is light and doesn't cause any sag when used.
I'd just like some like them that worked.

I can wander the web and find them, but its nicer if I can find a set that someone has used..and works. :)

Al

Chris Padilla
02-08-2008, 1:00 PM
Al,

I dunno...they aren't *that* heavy. Yes, they will sag but the pressure you apply to the piece keeps them in place. I'm not sure I follow what the problem might be when clamping tall items....

Al Willits
02-08-2008, 1:46 PM
If they're not heavy it wouldn't matter, but picture a 6 sided cabinet about 3 foot high and having to clamp the sides together, the clamps would be horizontal as the seams are in this case vertical.

Think H pattern maybe :)

In this case the weight of the mechanzism would cause them to sag, but if their light it'd be ok I'm guessing.

Al

Lance Norris
02-08-2008, 2:09 PM
I have 2 Merle clamps. They are a little hard to work with, but all strap clamps are kinda a balancing act. I also have JET nylon strap clamps and they are great.

Al Willits
02-08-2008, 10:36 PM
I think I found my clamps, these don't look like they come apart or slip...:)

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=3&cat=1,43838&p=31160

$12 a pop don't seem to bad.

Al