PDA

View Full Version : Arbor runout for TS

John Lannon
02-08-2008, 4:52 AM
Performed a basic tune up on the TS yesterday and notice the face of the arbor had a little over .001 runout. The was no wobble at the shaft

Most articles that I read say that the runout should be less than .001.

What do you guys in the real world consider to be excessive?

The saw is a Craftsman hybrid........zip code saw...... 22104

Kev Godwin
02-08-2008, 6:20 PM
In Kelly Mehler's book "The Table Saw Book", he says runout of the flange around the arbor should be less than .001 (see page 88). Also says, "More than that will cause enough vibration in even a good sawblade to cause rough cutting and splintering".

I checked my zip code saw 22124 and mine was difficult to read any runout. My fathers saw had a problem with the flange several years ago and had it repaired by a machinist shop. Hope this helps.
Kev

Chris Padilla
02-08-2008, 6:50 PM
How new is the saw? You might contact C-man and see what they have to say about it.

Have you cut with it? Notice any issues?

CPeter James
02-08-2008, 6:56 PM
Remember that .001" at the flange is .005" at the tooth. You should be able to do better than that.

CPeter

Pete Bradley
02-08-2008, 7:58 PM
The answer is "it depends". There are ways you could measure .001 face runout with no actual effect at the blade. There's also no guarantee your blade is good to .001.

How well does the saw work? If fine, I wouldn't mess with it.

If you think there's a need for improvement, it would be worth measuring at the blade, then seeing what rotating the blade to different positions with respect to the arbor does.

Pete