PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Gloatations

Jim Koepke
02-08-2008, 3:05 AM
Took a bit of a vacation to hunt for a few acres with house for retirement living. On the way back of course, we stopped at any open looking antique shop. In Oregon, we stopped at one and I saw something I have been out bid on a few times on the famous uPay site, a Stanley 4 1/2 plane. I picked it up and was excited until it lead me to confusion. I was trying to retract the blade, but the more I turned the adjuster, the further out the blade came. Then it dawned on me. There is a patent date inside the adjuster. What is real weird, is there are three dates on the lever and the blade has the large hole at the bottom, but the stamp on the blade is pre- 92 patent. So it is between type 5 and 6. In the same store, there was another No 4. I almost passed this up, but I had to look. That is when I noticed it was a bedrock with the wrong lever cap and a corrugated sole. The 4 1/2 also had the wrong lever cap. The two of them came to $54, no sales tax in Oregon.
Further down the road another shop had an old No 4. The blade had a SW logo. Noticed the same backwards adjustment on this rust collector. For $7.50 the ride down the slope is cheap on this one. The front knob is incorrect or missing. There was a knob there the store owner let me have.
Haven't gotten the picture thing down real good, but hopefully this will come through.

Jim

Jim Koepke
02-08-2008, 3:22 AM
Got the wrong picture in the first time. Not a great photo, but what can you do when you have to compress it to less than 100Kb?

Jim

Thomas Knighton
02-08-2008, 5:58 AM
Jim,

Congrats on your new toys! Nice finds!

Tom

David Tiell
02-08-2008, 6:21 AM
Nice finds!

Lee Koepke
02-08-2008, 8:16 AM
Familiar name, no relation ???

Marcus Ward
02-08-2008, 9:08 AM
Try jpeg. Jpeg is for photos, gifs for graphics because gifs have a limited color pallete and don't compress real well. Oh, nice finds. That's what kind of finds I usually talking about when I say you need to hunt.

gary Zimmel
02-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Jim

Congrads on the finds..

Jim Koepke
02-08-2008, 1:11 PM
Familiar name, no relation ???

Interesting, My dad's family went all the ways of the wind when his mother passed on back in the early 1900s.
Not a common name, but there are quite a few around.

Jim

Lee Koepke
02-08-2008, 1:31 PM
Interesting, My dad's family went all the ways of the wind when his mother passed on back in the early 1900s.
Not a common name, but there are quite a few around.

Jim
:cool:

Roots of mine are from Wisconsin, my particular tree branch grew in Central Florida for a couple of generations.

At least we share a common interest !!

harry strasil
02-08-2008, 5:07 PM
just some old iron planes to me, but do I see the top of a stanley 95 at the bottomof the pic. now that's interesting

Phillip Pattee
02-08-2008, 6:46 PM
Is that Stanley 95 a stealth gloat? Nice haul.

Jim Koepke
02-08-2008, 7:18 PM
just some old iron planes to me, but do I see the top of a stanley 95 at the bottomof the pic. now that's interesting

Yep, that is the one where I paid full retail. It has the word MADE from the decal left. When I bought it, it looked like a drop of paint. Has a SW Hart blade. Big whoop.

Jim

Jim Koepke
02-08-2008, 7:23 PM
Is that Stanley 95 a stealth gloat? Nice haul.

Yep, forgot to mention it and the Henry Taylor gouge, #4 - 1/2 inch, bought on the trip.

Jim