PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy

Mike Golka
02-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Had this very plain little maple bowl about 5 1/2" x 2". Hardly any color or figure. Hmmmm.:rolleyes: what could one do? Shoe pollish maybe---

Finished with a couple coats of Shelac.

ross russo
02-08-2008, 9:04 AM
What about some tung oil, or danish oil, or enven some buther block oil. Sometimes simple is just as striking with a slight shade of color.:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
02-08-2008, 9:23 AM
I would also try some danish oil or antique oil. It is simple to apply and gives a good simple finish. That is a nice looking bowl. Well done.

robert hainstock
02-08-2008, 9:41 AM
Mike, I use a chemical solution that I call liquid rust. Formula a gallon of white vineger, a 1lb box of small nails. Put nails in vineger let set in a corner for a month or so, apply to the surface of the turning, let dry, and rub down thoroughly with a green scrubby pad from the grocery store. This solution is used on some woods to blacken them but because of the density of maple only colors it a warm brown. If the "stained" wood is too dark, it can be lightened with oxalic acid, (lightly applied). If the maple is figured, this treatment will realy "pop" the figure. Good luck! :):)
Bob

Tom Sherman
02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Mike that's a nice little maple bowl.