PDA

View Full Version : How to adhere laminate to wood for a router Table

Michael Lutz
02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I have read though several accounts of how to adhere the laminate to wood, such as Contact Cement, water based contact cement, and Titebond Cold Press for veneers (which doesn't mention laminates).

I have heard that the solvent based contact cement is smelly, so how bad is it? Could you do it inside a house or is it similar to using polyurethane?

I have heard that the water based contact cement has less odor, but doesn't work quite as well.

Has anyone used Titebond Cold Press for Veneers in this application. I know titebond makes some glue for laminates, but the quantities it is sold in are large and I am unsure of availabilty.

Any other options?

Thanks,

Mike

Jim Becker
02-07-2008, 10:23 PM
I used the water-based contact cement for both router table tops I made as well as the outfeed table system I had on my cabinet saw with no problems.

Jamie Buxton
02-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I regularly glue high-pressure-laminate to plywood with Titebond and a vacuum veneer press. I've never quite understood why Titebond adheres so well to the back of laminate, and not to the front, but it does.

Art Mann
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I use the solvent based material but only when the weather is such that I can run the exhaust fan in the shop. The smell is stronger than polyurethane. I would definitely not use the solvent based contact cement in the house.

Jim McFarland
02-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I use solvent-based contact adhesive but only in a well ventilated area. I prefer to wait until the weather permits and use it outside. I definitely would not use it inside the house (and the label directions state to avoid open flames such as pilot in gas water heater and/or furnace). I haven't used the water-based.

Edit: woops, Art beat me to it -- so I'll just 2nd the opinion not to use it inside

Ben Martin
02-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Not to hijack, but where do you guys get the melamine-like laminate from? Woodcraft didn't have any...

Bill Isaacs
02-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Not to hijack, but where do you guys get the melamine-like laminate from? Woodcraft didn't have any...

Ben - I found some laminate at Lowe's in my area just yesterday. No luck at either of the HD's.

Bill

Jamie Buxton
02-08-2008, 12:22 AM

When people say "melamine" around me, they generally mean the extremely thin (like 5 mils) stuff which is thermally bonded to particle board. As far as I know, it is never sold separately for shops to do their own bonding. Melamine-covered particle board is used for inexpensive cabinets, but never for counters. When folks say "laminate" (as a noun) around me, they mean Formica or any of the other high-pressure-laminates. That stuff is about a sixteenth of an inch thick, and is sold as separate sheets so that shops can do their own lamination. High-pressure laminate is still the most common kitchen counter surface. You can buy HPL in a very limited selection at HD and the like, but speciality distributors are the source for the full range of the stuff.

Ben Martin
02-08-2008, 7:53 AM
When people say "melamine" around me, they generally mean the extremely thin (like 5 mils) stuff which is thermally bonded to particle board. As far as I know, it is never sold separately for shops to do their own bonding. Melamine-covered particle board is used for inexpensive cabinets, but never for counters. When folks say "laminate" (as a noun) around me, they mean Formica or any of the other high-pressure-laminates. That stuff is about a sixteenth of an inch thick, and is sold as separate sheets so that shops can do their own lamination. High-pressure laminate is still the most common kitchen counter surface. You can buy HPL in a very limited selection at HD and the like, but speciality distributors are the source for the full range of the stuff.

Yeah, I meant the formica stuff. Looks like I will check the Borgs.

Anthony Whitesell
02-08-2008, 9:43 AM
Borgs in the kitchen supply/cabinet area.

I just got finished laminating my table top together using the water-based contact cement. I doesn't have hardly any odor, I think latex interior house paint or paint thinner has a stronger odor than the water-based contact cement. Call back in a few years and I'll let you know how it's holding up.

Michael Lutz
02-08-2008, 9:53 PM
Looks like I will try the water based contact cement. What brand did you use? I know that HD and Lowes sell the Weldwood stuff made by DAP.

Mike