PDA

View Full Version : Delta 22-580 13" Planer - Depth stop not working

Quesne Ouaques
02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Has anyone else out there had this problem? Or have you seen it posted in the past, perhaps?

My Delta 22-580 depth stop stops stopping! It happens intermittently. If I play with it enough, it (eventually) seems to work again. But I can sometimes go a week or more with it not working properly.

If anyone has had this problem I would sure like to hear if they know why.

Thanks

Michael O'Sullivan
02-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Mine has actually stopped working completely, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it.

I would be curious if anyone has figured it out.

Mike Goetzke
02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I haven't had problems with mine but since I bought a Wixey digital gauge I never use it anymore and couldn't be happier.

Mike

Tim Reagan
02-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Just fiddling with my broken stop last night. No ideas, will try to give delta a call.

Larry Fox
02-08-2008, 1:01 PM
I have had the same issue and, on mine, I narrowed it down to essentially operator error combined with poor design. It is a fussy little gizmo but I have to push mine down and keep turning it until I feel it "engage". Then if I let up it holds. That being said, I never trust it the first time out and always do a test board to make sure it holds. Crappy design if you ask me though.

Tim Reagan
02-08-2008, 2:02 PM
Just spoke with the Delta cs. She said turn the blue knob 10-12 times clockwise, ? or until it stops, then depress and turn as you normally would and it should work. Will try after work. Hope it helps.

Quesne Ouaques
02-08-2008, 5:14 PM
Just spoke with the Delta cs. She said turn the blue knob 10-12 times clockwise, ? or until it stops, then depress and turn as you normally would and it should work. Will try after work. Hope it helps.

Tim:

I tried it an it worked like a charm. Works like new!

Thanks

Michael O'Sullivan
02-08-2008, 11:49 PM

That solution didn't work for me.

Instead, after a thorough examination and cleaning (including taking a shaving off of one knuckle that I didn't even feel 'til I saw the blood -- those blades are still sharp), I determined that the depth stop was "stuck".

An extra hard twist of the depth adjuster crank with the lock engaged seems to have solved the problem for me.

Rob Bois
06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
I just got the Delta 22-580, and I'm pretty sure my depth stop doesn't work. Wether I twist without pushing down, or twist while pushing down, the stop locks in about a quarter turn. Then I can't lower or raise the cutter head. When it's locked, I should be able to raise the head right? Otherwise this is just a cutter head lock, not a depth stop. Is the knob supposed to rotate more than a quarter turn? Other posts make it sound like it should rotate multiple turns to raise or lower an internal stop, right? Any help or explanation of how this is supposed to work would be very helpful. The user guide is mostly useless in this regard.

Rob Bois
06-26-2008, 1:33 PM
I finally figured out the depth stop was just over-tightened when I got it, so it was fixed to the depth adjuster. I used a little force in raising the head with the lock engaged, and it did finally pop loose. So now it is working fine, and my planer will be so much easier to use now. I must say, Delta has really bad description of how this depth stop is supposed to work.

Pat Germain
06-27-2008, 9:12 AM
I must say, Delta has really bad description of how this depth stop is supposed to work.

I agree. In fact, I never could figure out how the depth stop was supposed to work. I've never used it. Now that I've seen some detailed info here, I'll go ahead and try it.