PDA

View Full Version : New style Wixey digital planer head

Jim Solomon
02-07-2008, 9:57 PM
I was at Wixey's site and see they have a new head for the planer. It is a new model. You can also click on spare parts, and purchase it there ($19.99) to retrofit your old one. I though about it, but for $20 it would cost 1/3 of a new one. I don't know if they are in the stores yet, but you can order it from Wixey for $59.99 for the whole unit. Thought I would bring it up incase anyone was going to purchase one. I have he older model and like it.
Jim

Steven J Corpstein
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
I just got mine last week, and though it works well, I don't think it seems as beefy as the original. The slot that rides on the scale is totally plastic, where the old 500 was steel with a brass or copper shim for wear. It was made similar to the various digital calipers on the market. Time will tell if the new 510 holds up as well.

Jim Solomon
02-07-2008, 10:33 PM
That is good to know Steven. Thanks for adding that, something my old grey head didn't think of. :o
Jim

fRED mCnEILL
02-08-2008, 9:17 PM
That is a VERY good improvement. I use my gauge all the time but reading it is difficult because of its shape. I rigged up a sepcial LED light to help but that is less thatn satisfactory.

On the other hand I have the Wixey on my table saw and reading it is a snap because it is at the proper angle.

Fred Mc.