PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the INCRA 2000?

Joe Tonich
03-07-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm looking at miter jigs for my Delta CS to make EXACT miters and can use stop-blocks for identicle sides. Also looking at Delta's jig. Any opinions? I'm hoping to keep the $$$'s down to under $200.

Thanks,

Joe

Michael Ballent
03-07-2004, 11:24 AM
I've got it I recommend that you look at the 1000 or 3000. The 2000 is VERY accurate but only moves 90º so it's a pain. Also if you want to use it in the other miter slot you have to partially disassemble it and move the plate to the other... I would have to say that it is my most disappointing tool/jig purchase. The best place I know of to buy Incra tools is at http://www.woodpeck.com great folks and usually the best prices in Incra tools.

-Michael

Don Abele
03-07-2004, 1:18 PM
Joe, I have the 1000SE and absolutely love it. I bought mine about 6 months ago after comparing it to the EB-3. The accuracy of the miters is always dead on and repeatability is a snap with all those detents. The fence is plenty long enough (and can be extended longer) and the stop also is beneficial for repeat cuts.

I looked at the 2000, but as Michael points out, it's really only half of a miter gauge. It's claim to fame (and reason for it being twice as expensive as the 1000) is the detents. The 1000 has them every 5 degrees while the 2000 is every 1 degree. I tend to only use the common angles and there are specific detents for those, so no need for a detent at every 1. Oh, you can set the miter gauge between detents, but like a standard miter gauge.

Joe Tonich
03-07-2004, 1:38 PM
Joe, I have the 1000SE and absolutely love it. I bought mine about 6 months ago after comparing it to the EB-3. The accuracy of the miters is always dead on and repeatability is a snap with all those detents. The fence is plenty long enough (and can be extended longer) and the stop also is beneficial for repeat cuts.

I looked at the 2000, but as Michael points out, it's really only half of a miter gauge. It's claim to fame (and reason for it being twice as expensive as the 1000) is the detents. The 1000 has them every 5 degrees while the 2000 is every 1 degree. I tend to only use the common angles and there are specific detents for those, so no need for a detent at every 1. Oh, you can set the miter gauge between detents, but like a standard miter gauge.

Thanks,

Can the 1000SE be set up for the right side of the blade? Thats how I'd need to use it. All pic's show it in the left slot of the TS. Price looks a lot better than the 2000 also. :)

Joe

Michael Ballent
03-07-2004, 1:46 PM
Yep... just loosen a couple of screws that attach the fence to the body of the miter guage, slide the fence over and retighted... Do we get a finders fee for possibly saving you a few bucks :D If you are looking for the stops make sure you get the flip stops and not the saw stop (don't get me started on those) great for 90º cuts but lousy for 45s.

-Michael

Bruce Page
03-07-2004, 2:21 PM
Joe, I have the 2000, as Michael points out, the 2000 is very accurate (you can actually set it in ½-degree increments). It only takes a minuet to switch from one slot to the other, but it is a bit of a pain.

If I were shopping again I would probably go with the 3000.

Fred Voorhees
03-07-2004, 7:23 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce Page]Joe, I have the 2000, as Michael points out, the 2000 is very accurate (you can actually set it in ½-degree increments). It only takes a minuet to switch from one slot to the other, but it is a bit of a pain.

I also have the Incra 2000, and I haven't ever had a problem with its limitations, if in fact there are any. It is VERY accurate and as Bruce points out, even goes down to 1/2 degree increments. It is not very much work to change from one miter slot to the other. I can probably accomplish the task in about a minute. No big deal. I have never, never regretted purchasing this miter gauge.

Steven Wilson
03-07-2004, 8:33 PM
I have the 2000 (36" fence and extension) and the 1000 (18" fence) and I use the 2000 for all cuts from the left miter guage. I use the 1000 for cuts on the right side or when I'm using my 90 degree jig (i.e. cut both side of the miter with the exact same setup). The 2000 is just more robust with the longer fence. If I were to have one it would be the 3000.

Mike Cutler
03-08-2004, 9:32 AM
Joe. I also have the Incra 2000, and have been less than impressed with what I got for the money. My chief complaints are that the face of the fence did not sit 90deg to the table.It required me to finally bring the small angle brackets to work and mill them both to 90deg on the Bridgeport( I went thru 4 replacement sets of these before I gave up and did the job myself). The other problem I saw was that the extruded aluminum fence was not beefy enough. I had to put a length of aluminum bar stock inside of it to stop it from flexing. These were small problem, and easy to overcome, but I don't think a tool that cost this much should have had these problems. I use mine in the right hand miter slot of the saw with no problems. The assembly instructions were easy to follow, and other than small design/manufacturing flaws I encountered, it seems to be a nice miter fence system

Chris Padilla
03-08-2004, 1:22 PM
I have the 3000 mounted on a sled (it then becomes the 5000) and love it. I had to do some very minute angle cuts once and it was more than up to the job and I nailed the angles on the project I was working on.

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-08-2004, 7:43 PM
Joe. I also have the Incra 2000, and have been less than impressed with what I got for the money. My chief complaints are that the face of the fence did not sit 90deg to the table.It required me to finally bring the small angle brackets to work and mill them both to 90deg on the Bridgeport( I went thru 4 replacement sets of these before I gave up and did the job myself). The other problem I saw was that the extruded aluminum fence was not beefy enough. I had to put a length of aluminum bar stock inside of it to stop it from flexing. These were small problem, and easy to overcome, but I don't think a tool that cost this much should have had these problems. I use mine in the right hand miter slot of the saw with no problems. The assembly instructions were easy to follow, and other than small design/manufacturing flaws I encountered, it seems to be a nice miter fence system

The fence on mine isn't 90 degrees to the table, either. I've also noticed some 'slop' in the head, which may actually be the deflection in the fence that you mention. It's not much, but if you don't hold it juuuust right, the angle can change 1/2 degree or so. I thought it was slop in the bar/miter slot, but the one in the Woodcraft shop does the same thing...and mine is adjusted tight to the slot. Switching to the right side only takes a minute, but it's a PITA. I really like the stop thingy, though...and especially the micro adjust. That works as advertised.

Doing it again, I'd be looking real hard at the JoinTech sled...and I may still get that.

KC