PDA

View Full Version : Beech

Tom Bucanan
02-07-2008, 9:53 PM
Have you guys ever turned beech? It seems like the only kind of wood I can find and it is relatively plain? Any tips I should know about turning or drying it?

Jim Underwood
02-07-2008, 9:57 PM
Oh I love the Beech. It's got a nice even grain. Should turn rather well too. It might be a good candidate for embellishment such as pyrography or texturing or carving. Good luck with it.

David Wilhelm
02-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Tom what I've got here that been cut when the sap is high spaults up really nice and gives up great color. Hard as a brick when dry. I've not turned much of it. I've got some to go pick up this weekend thats been down for a couple years.

Jim Underwood
02-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh yeah... It's absolutely gorgeous spalted. I'd forgotten about that. I even turned a little birdhouse out of some spalted beech last year, and it was one of my favorite ornaments. Gave it to my Mom for Christmas...:)

Jim Becker
02-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Beech turns nicely, although when wet it can crack very nicely. Spalted beech is really very nice.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Beech is some nice turning wood. Some I have turned are pretty plain but nice. I have been talking with Steve Russell about air brushing these beech bowls with dyes. I purchased a air brush system so when I get some time I am going give it a go.

Tom Bucanan
02-08-2008, 4:05 PM
I agree that beech is a nice turning wood, but it just doesn't seem to be too interesting. I cut wood from the left overs of a logger and even the crotch sections fail to have the beautiful grain found in maple, birch, and oak.

robert hainstock
02-08-2008, 5:22 PM
Tom I use Beech for utility turning, cause we have lots of other prettier woods up here. I use it for tool handles and spacers, etc. The old Munising woodenware factory had talented ladies paint designs on those kinds of plain pieces. Luck! :)
Bob

Rasmus Petersen
02-09-2008, 2:39 AM
Have you guys ever turned beech? It seems like the only kind of wood I can find and it is relatively plain? Any tips I should know about turning or drying it?

Yep i have turned beech. Here in DK thats one of the easyst trees to get hold of. have tons of the stuff.. turns very very nice. the wood is hard pale and great for turning both bowl and kitchenware.