PDA

View Full Version : ?bandsaw blade moves in and out?

Keith Spaniel
02-07-2008, 9:34 PM
Help , I have a delta 14'' with bearing guides, when the blade goes around, you can see it roll next to the back bearing and then roll away from the bearing, about 3/16'' from the bearing ,then back to the bearing. What would cause this? The wheels are copler , a flat edge touches on each side of the wheel. the rubber on the wheels seem fine.I have ajusted the blade travel, the blade is in the center on the top wheel and the bottom is about a 1/4'' from the front of the bottom wheel. Is this normaL? thanks ,Keith

Jim Becker
02-07-2008, 9:36 PM
Does this happen with more than one blade? If it's just with one blade...it's the blade, likely due to a bad weld.

Keith Spaniel
02-07-2008, 9:40 PM
Im not sure, I will try another blade.thanks

Mike Cutler
02-07-2008, 9:40 PM
Keith

As Jim stated a bad weld.
Should you rule that out, you are looking for a fatigued portion of the blade, possibly due to micro fractures of the metal.

You might want to consider replacing that blade. That much fore and aft movement is bound to cause trouble.

Keith Spaniel
02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Jim ,You are right, it is just the blade. went and tried another blade , it only came away from the bearing about a 1/16'' and it was by the weld . thanks ,Keith

Keith Spaniel
02-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Mike , I was cutting a 6'' thick log , went in 3'' and tried to pull the log back out of the cut ..Dumb move, the blade came off and stopped when it hit the steel guard.. I hand sharpened the blade and it lays flat on a table , may be i will just retire it . thanks ,Keith