PDA

View Full Version : Quarter sawn wood: is there a standard?

John Stevens
02-07-2008, 9:11 PM
I know there are all kinds of standards for grading lumber, but I've never seen one that determines whether wood is graded as quarter sawn. Is there such a standard? Or does each seller decide for itself what it will sell under the description "quarter sawn"? I hope this question isn't too dumb. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,

John

Mike Cutler
02-07-2008, 9:18 PM
I know there are all kinds of standards for grading lumber, but I've never seen one that determines whether wood is graded as quarter sawn. Is there such a standard? Or does each seller decide for itself what it will sell under the description "quarter sawn"? I hope this question isn't too dumb. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,

John

I remember reading once that Qsawn was anything between 60 and 90 degrees to the face of the board. Rift sawn was 45-70 degrees
I can't remember where though. Probably was someone here on the board.

Peter Quadarella
02-07-2008, 9:19 PM
Hi John. Quartersawn refers to the way the wood was cut and determines the grain pattern. Quartersawn wood moves less and sometimes looks nicer too. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I found a link which shows the 3 ways wood is usually cut (plainsawn, riftsawn, quartersawn). Quartersawn wastes more which is why it's rarer and costs more.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-quartersawn-wood.htm

glenn bradley
02-07-2008, 9:24 PM
60 to 90 degrees from flat is what I've read as well. Here's (http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Materials/MaterialsArticle.aspx?id=28324) the Wood Whisperer laying it all down.

Peter Quinn
02-07-2008, 9:34 PM
John...NHLA (national hardwood lumber association) rule book 2007 page 11, paragraph 35 states : In species where figure is not required, pieces shall be considered quarted when 80% of the surface of the required cuttings in the aggregate shows the radial grain at an angle of 45 degrees or less with one face.

So yes, there is a rule, 80% of grain at 45 degrees. I worked for a custom flooring outfit for a while, made millions of feet of rift and quarter sawn white oak flooring. 2000BF packs rolled in mixed R&Q, rift and quartered, we sorted them while processing into rift and real quartered (light to heavy medulary ray fleck) All other species I remember were sold as quartered if they followed the NHLA rules.

Peter Quinn
02-07-2008, 9:40 PM
If your not too familar with white oak (I am WAY TOO FAMILAR) the rift saw straight grain exists with grain running 45 degrees to about 75 degrees to the face. As the grain goes from 75 degrees to 90 degrees you expose more pronounced ray fleck figure. Some wood like sycamore also have a type of ray flec, and soft woods call it by another name, whose name I dont remember!

Chris Friesen
02-08-2008, 12:19 AM
This is something that's bothered me for some time. It seems there are multiple definitions for "rift sawn".

Peter Quadarella's link shows the version that I learned originally, where the board is purely radial from the center such that all rings are at basically 90 degrees. On the other hand, I've seen other places where they use the 45-70 degrees (or 30-60 degrees) definition. Still other places use the terms interchangeably.

I wish they'd make up their minds...

Greg Funk
02-08-2008, 1:04 AM
Definitely confusing. I had always thought rift sawn was between plain sawn and quartersawn, however, lots of sources would lead one to believe rift sawn lumber is the highest grade with the most pieces close to 90 degrees. Here is a hardwood flooring site (http://www.savinobrothers.com/cuts.htm) that actually show conflicting pictures for rift and qtr sawn boards.

Jack Briggs
02-08-2008, 8:51 AM
In luthier's circles it's generally within 20 degrees of vertical grain.

George Bregar
02-08-2008, 8:59 AM
The only standard that matters is mine. Pick your boards.

jeremy levine
02-08-2008, 9:04 AM
I like this explanation ( which is rather specific , to oak )
I also like the other pictures

http://www.stickley.com/TheStickleyDifference.cfm?SubPgName=ConstructionFe atures&MoreTxt=15

Peter Quinn
02-08-2008, 8:09 PM
I like George's standard the best. Its the same one I use.

Jeremy, the Stickley definition seems to be nailed, but if I'm reading my school text right, the picture/graphic of the tree is actually that of rift sawn, which produces greater yield than quartered, less 90 degree grain, and less figure in oak,

Michael Morgan
02-08-2008, 9:22 PM
Since we are talking about it, here is a piece of 5/4 QSWO,

Peter Quadarella
02-08-2008, 9:25 PM
Well, I think the one thing common to everything called quartersawn is that the log is cut in quarters prior to cutting boards.

harry strasil
02-08-2008, 11:33 PM
lots of debate and differences. This is what the old turn of the century 1900's books say, and the one that was left out by everyone is Pie cutting which is the most wastful, but gives all quarter sawn lumber.

Chris Friesen
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
...and the one that was left out by everyone is Pie cutting which is the most wastful, but gives all quarter sawn lumber.

There are places that consider "rift sawn" as equivalent to what you call "pie cutting". Every piece is cut radially out from the center, with lots of wedge-shaped waste.

For instance...

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-quartersawn-wood.htm
http://accesshoganhardwoods.com/hogan/pages/technical/Technical_01/lumbersawing_02.htm

John Stevens
02-14-2008, 6:34 AM
The only standard that matters is mine. Pick your boards.

Hah, good one, George. I find that when I buy rough lumber, the ends and faces often aren't smooth enough to show the grain orientation. I drive about two hours to reach the better sawmills and lumber yards in my area. I'm willing to bet my money that they will follow an industry grading standard for all their lumber, as long as there is one. Now I know that there is one. Thanks to everyone for your help with this.

Regards,

John