PDA

View Full Version : Look Ma, I'm on ASK This Old House!!

Jason White
02-07-2008, 9:07 PM
If anybody happened to catch ASK This Old House on PBS this week, I'm the tall goofy-looking guy who built Norm's storage shed (from New Yankee plans) and Tom Silva is showing me how to install fiber-cement shingles on it.

At least I've got a good face for radio!!

It was a lot of fun and Tom's a great guy! I also highly recommend Norm's plans for the shed. This thing is built better than my house!

Jason

Don Abele
02-07-2008, 9:12 PM
Jason, I saw that episode. You should have told those of us in the area, we could have all stopped by and helped with the shed. You know, after being here for almost 3 years, I've never seen any of their trucks or trailers driving down the street. I'd love to meet them and thought I may have a chance as Norm is a frequent visitor to the ship, but hasn't been around since I got here (go figure).

Anyway, congrats on making ATOH.

Be well,

Doc

Mike Cutler
02-07-2008, 9:12 PM
Very Cool.:cool::cool::cool:

It had to have been a lot of fun.

Zach Hanna
02-07-2008, 9:21 PM
Very cool! I did watch that episode .. there was some good info.

I figure most of the ToH guys are much like they are on the show. They all seem quite genuine and unpretentious. I laugh a bit watching Tom sometimes though .. he really lets someone know if they're doing something wrong. (noticed this when he helped a couple reshingle their garage on an Ask ToH episode).

Anyway, congrats. Looks like you did a good job on the shed.

Jim Becker
Congratulations on that experience, Jason! Tom's a class act and as real as they come.

Paul Greathouse
Jason

I missed that show, and also I'm very curious, how did you get picked to be in an Ask This Old House episode.

scott spencer
02-07-2008, 9:38 PM
That's cool Jason! We caught that episode last Thursday night here. We were marveling over how well Tommy's pieces fit together.

Gotta ask....how long did it take in real time? And did they make any mistakes in the process?

Matt Meiser
02-07-2008, 9:38 PM
I just finished watching that one. Congratulations.

Jason White
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Just lucky, I guess.

Jason

I missed that show, and also I'm very curious, how did you get picked to be in an Ask This Old House episode.

Jason White
02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
No way. Tom NEVER makes a mistake!

Took about a half-day to shoot.

That's cool Jason! We caught that episode last Thursday night here. We were marveling over how well Tommy's pieces fit together.

Gotta ask....how long did it take in real time? And did they make any mistakes in the process?

Greg Muller
02-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Sweeeeet!!:D

Congrats, J!! Hope you got some souvenir's to auction off to us mortals!

Greg

Dennis Hatchett
02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
I watched that episode this weekend and remember it well because I was considering the same siding system. You did yourself proud!

The siding actually looked pretty time consuming and made me rethink my decision. Now that you've used it, is it worth the trouble?

By the way, you guys in Mass. have way too much of an advantage.

Dave Lehnert
02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
I got to meet Tom S. one time by chance. I walked into a lumber store here on the East side of Cincinnati and he was there giving a deck building demo. I have an autographed photo and an autograph THO magazine.

Jason White
02-07-2008, 11:08 PM
The only real time-consuming part was having to rip the panels down to 12" so that we could get a 5" reveal (exposure). Otherwise, they go up really fast.

Jason

I watched that episode this weekend and remember it well because I was considering the same siding system. You did yourself proud!

The siding actually looked pretty time consuming and made me rethink my decision. Now that you've used it, is it worth the trouble?

By the way, you guys in Mass. have way too much of an advantage.

John Terefenko
02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
I watched the episode also and was wondering how far along did he stay to help you??? Did you both complete the shed???

I did learn a very good trick he uses and that was the story pole and the way he swung it to get his course of shingles to fit just right under the window. Have to remember that one. I bet he is full of little tricks like that.

Jason Beam
02-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I just watched a TOH and I noticed in the credits - someone named Jason White was listed for something to do with internet video? I may be remembering teh credit wrong, but i certainly saw a Jason White listed ... was that you? :D

Jason White
02-08-2008, 7:59 AM
He got me as far as the window, and I finished the rest.

I watched the episode also and was wondering how far along did he stay to help you??? Did you both complete the shed???

I did learn a very good trick he uses and that was the story pole and the way he swung it to get his course of shingles to fit just right under the window. Have to remember that one. I bet he is full of little tricks like that.

Augusto Orosco
02-08-2008, 8:20 AM
Damn! I missed the episode this week (baby duty, you know). I hope I can catch it on a re-run soon (gotta get myself some TiVo).

Anyway, congratulations, I am sure it was a lot of fun!

Rod Upfold
02-08-2008, 8:40 AM
What was the time between taping the show and been shown on PBS?

Rod

jeremy levine
02-08-2008, 9:06 AM
Wow I can hardly find time to watch the show and you were on it !!!

I'll hit the Tivo and see if I caught it.. Very cool.

Greg Heppeard
02-08-2008, 9:37 AM
I met Tom a couple of years ago at a tool conference. He is a nice guy and easy to talk with.. I tried to get a job on one of his crews, but he said there was a waiting list for that ;).

I'm gonna have to see if I can find your show and watch with awe. Actually making sawdust with him must have been great.

Michael Weber
02-08-2008, 9:51 AM
That was a very interesting segment and your building looked really nice. I remember watching Norm build it on his show (or one very similar) and thinking that I wished my home was built with that kind of quality and attention to detail. Of course then I wouldn't have been able to afford to buy it. :rolleyes:

Carl Eyman
02-08-2008, 9:53 AM
This past Tuesday was Mardi Gras as I assume all know. My son rides in the ZULU parade. As he and the rest of the Krewe were loading the float with beads and coconuts (Zulu gives decorated coconuts) They noticed TV cameras hovering about. They were filming Kevin O'Connor, host of TOH, who was riding as a guest. You may know TOH is airing currently a fix up on a flooded house in New Orleans. My son asked the cameraman "you mean the series is already on the air and you haven't finished filming yet?" He answered that they live dangerously.

Scott Kilroy
02-08-2008, 1:10 PM
Very cool! I did watch that episode .. there was some good info.

I figure most of the ToH guys are much like they are on the show. They all seem quite genuine and unpretentious. I laugh a bit watching Tom sometimes though .. he really lets someone know if they're doing something wrong. (noticed this when he helped a couple reshingle their garage on an Ask ToH episode).

Anyway, congrats. Looks like you did a good job on the shed.

I've seen that one a couple of times now, I would love to know what was going on that didn't make it into the show. Tom seemed like he was going to snap.

Jason White
02-08-2008, 6:58 PM
About 4 months.

Jason

What was the time between taping the show and been shown on PBS?

Rod