PDA

View Full Version : source for a good 3/4" spiral upcut bit?

Brandon Shew
02-07-2008, 8:28 PM
I need to drill some holes for bench dogs in my new worktop. I figure that I could start them with the plunge router and then finish w/ a drill.

While I'm at it - anyone make any non-marring bench dogs. I like the looks of the Veritas ones, but it would be nice if they were coated as the metal could cause some damage.

Tom Veatch
02-07-2008, 8:46 PM
I need to drill some holes for bench dogs in my new worktop. I figure that I could start them with the plunge router and then finish w/ a drill.

While I'm at it - anyone make any non-marring bench dogs. I like the looks of the Veritas ones, but it would be nice if they were coated as the metal could cause some damage.

I doubt that you'll find a 3/4" diameter spiral bit since those are ususally solid carbide and the cutting surfaces won't be larger than the shank diameter. That limits them to about 1/2" diameter. You might consider instead an upshear plunge cutting straight bit. Amana makes the AMA-42460 and I imagine there are a number of other quality bits in that style.

As far as the bench dogs are concerned, it's a fairly simple matter to make your own from 3/4" hardwood dowels with a wooden spring or bullet retainer.

Steve Marcq
02-07-2008, 8:46 PM
Lee Valley sells plastic covers for their bench dogs - think they're called bench pups. Got 4 and they work great.

glenn bradley
02-07-2008, 8:56 PM
These (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1396) are HSS but some bench making guru that writes for one of the mags (can't remember which one) used this for a bunch-o-dog-holes and recommended it. I used a 3/4" brad point bit from Rockler and a guide made out of a milled-square 4x4. The router will be faster. Don't forget to back your exit point; I got excited and forgot to move the backer board on one hole . . . what a blowout.

Tom Veatch
02-07-2008, 9:54 PM
Well, I'll be durned. Learned something today! Thanks, Glenn. The only spiral bits I'd run across up to now have been solid carbide. Personally, I think I'd opt for using $15.00 Ship Auger instead of a ~$40 HSS router bit. But, then my experience with HSS router bits hasn't been altogether positive so YMMV.

Brian Dormer
02-08-2008, 6:58 PM
Woodcraft sells a 3/4" upcut spiral bit - but it's only HSS, not carbide. Still - for the "one off" purpose of drilling dog holes, it should be "good 'nuff".

I'm opting for a slightly different strategy - a Rockler drill "jig it" and a 20mm drill bit. Granted, this will be slower going than the plunge router method. But my gameplan is to start the hole with the Jig-it and bit, then hog out the hole with a plunge router (I'm pretty sure I have at least a 1/2" bit on hand). Then go back and finish it off with the 20mm bit.

This should let me use 3/4" dog hole accessories as well as all the Festool stuff (like the "clamping elements").

I'm doing some testing of this methodology (and all my 3/4" goodies) this weekend. PM me if you want to know what the results are.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-08-2008, 8:15 PM
OSG You want a single end, end mill with a half inch shank.

Cary Swoveland
02-08-2008, 10:18 PM
...I'm opting for a slightly different strategy - a Rockler drill "jig it" and a 20mm drill bit....

This should let me use 3/4" dog hole accessories as well as all the Festool stuff (like the "clamping elements").

Clamping elements, yes, but to use Festool hold-down clamps, your bench top can't be more than about 3/4" thick.

Cary

Brandon Shew
02-09-2008, 3:01 PM
Thanks Glenn. That's exactly what I was looking for. I went to my local Woodcraft, but I didn't see anything like that in stock. Looks like I may have to order it.

I believe that Christopher Schwarz is the bench making guru that you are referring to.

Greg Hines, MD
02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I used a 3/4" straight bit and a plunge router to drill in the first two inches through my benchtop (it is 4 layers or plywood in thickness), and then finished off drilling the through holes with a 3/4" auger bit in a hammer drill.

I have the Veritas 4" Bench Dogs, and they do not mar my work, since they are brass.

Doc

Charles Wiggins
02-13-2008, 7:55 AM

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4222

jim sasser
05-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Brandian, I just built a new workbench and want to drill for dog holes. 3/4 inch is recommended with a 3/4 inch upcut spiral bit on a plunge router. In your testing ..will 3/4 inch bench dogs ( metal) fit into these holes? If so the 3/4 inch dogs must not be 3/4 inch exactly???? I built my bench form a magazine article...I think woodworking or wood magazine cant remember which and they recommend purchasing the dogs from a source I can t recall. Thanks Jim

pat warner
05-24-2008, 11:50 AM
PRC has 3/4CD up spiral on a 1/2 shank. Flute length = 1-1/2"