PDA

View Full Version : Thick Walled Maple Bowl - critique please

Tom Keen
02-07-2008, 7:14 PM
I took a few pieces a off Silver Maple stump that we pushed into the wood last spring. Ive been on thick walled bowls - concentrating on form. The wood really gets a chance to be the star with this form and this piece was especially nice.

Its 14.5" by 4.5" Couple coats of Danish Oil, buffed and waxed.

Im very curious as to what folk think about it..criticism is welcome

Thanks for looking
Tom

81052 81053

robert hainstock
02-07-2008, 7:24 PM
If that's the natural color of silver maple I sure wish we had some up here in the UP. That stuff is awesome figure wise, and you did such a nice job with form. Attaboy!:D:D:D
Bob

Jim Becker
02-07-2008, 7:30 PM
I almost have to chuckle as that bowl is (material and color-wise) a spitting image of my very first bowl...which I still have around here somewhere. Except...you finished off the bottom correctly. :)

I like the form you turned in general. Personally, I think I would like the rim more defined, but that's largely a preference instead of anything objective. Not really anything to critique.

David Walser
02-07-2008, 7:37 PM
Tom,

Let me preface what I'm about to say with I like the bowl. It's a pretty piece of wood and the finish allows the grain and figure to pop.

Having said that, I'm curious as to your attraction to the thick wall form. You say this allows the wood to be the star, but wouldn't that be the case with a thin wall, too? The pictures do not show off the profile of the bowl, but I'd think a nice, graceful, line would show off the wood just as well with a thin wall as it would with the thick wall you used. If anything, I'd think a thin walled bowl would have even more surface area to show off that beautiful wood.

If you'd used a wide rim to frame a shallow bowl, I'd agree that thick walled form might arguably have an advantage in putting the focus on the character of the wood. As it is, I think the thick walls just make the bowl look heavy. If thicker is better, why scoop out the bowl at all?

Please don't take this as being too harsh. I do like the bowl! I'm just not understanding your attraction to thick walls.

Ben Gastfriend
02-07-2008, 8:15 PM
I really can't find anything to critique- but sign your name on the bottom!

I actually think that thick sided bowls are easier to use, they don't tip over, and people feel more comfortable picking them up. "Art" collectors appreciate extremely thin bowls, but the average customer that is going to buy a nice wooden bowl to use will appreciate the thicker sides. About 70% of my bowl sales have thicker sides.

The form is great, and the wood is lovely.

Bill Stevener
02-07-2008, 8:37 PM
I think it's a nice looking bowl. The only thing I have to say about a thick walled bowl is: They hold less.:D
Nice job.

Tom Keen
02-07-2008, 9:34 PM
Ive been chasing the perfect curve and as I said, these thick walled bowls are an exercise in form. Can I take a curve and make it correctly from the bottom over the edge to the center of the bowl..a complete flowing line.. the heaviness in these bowls seem to accentuate the curves.. my wife calls them "chubby bowls". :) Ive made a few very small ones that I like (3 inches) and they feel good in hand.

I really do appreciate your comments..Im extremely critical of my work, no one on this forum could be harder to please than me. Thanks for the feedback!!

Tom

David Foshee
02-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Tom , nice bowl I really love the grain. I too have turned a few chubby bowls

Dale Gregory
02-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow, what a beauty! I like the form, the wood is outstanding, the rim looks nice. "Chubby Bowl", I like the name as well. Great job!

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2008, 11:24 PM
The wood is a beaut and you did a great job on it. I am not a thick walled person. I don't think the bowl being thick or thin is going to hurt the looks of the wood. I would make the rim more defined but in order to do that you would have to go thinner. I would slope the inside from the bottom to the top with wider rim sloping outward. That is just what I prefer.

David Walser
02-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Ive been chasing the perfect curve and as I said, these thick walled bowls are an exercise in form. Can I take a curve and make it correctly from the bottom over the edge to the center of the bowl..a complete flowing line.. the heaviness in these bowls seem to accentuate the curves.. my wife calls them "chubby bowls". :) ...

Well, Tom, if that's what you were after -- a smooth, continuous curve, from the inside of the bowl all around the outside and back inside, you achieved your objective. You shouldn't be bothered by the fact I don't get it. Shoot, there's lots of "perfectly good" music I don't get, either. For that matter, I still don't understand why women cry when watching Gone With the Wind....

Thanks for being open to my thoughts.

David

Brian McInturff
02-08-2008, 6:58 AM
I usually don't chime in on the "critique" ones. I always feel I shoot for an obscure approach to my bowls anyway.. Having said that: I think you need to change the background color in the picture for this bowl to be seen the way it should. As for the design, I think you achieved what you were after. I do think the design is pretty common but to tell you the truth I've never turned that design so it may be much harder than it's perceived. I think with the chatoyance that the grain has in that bowl it needs a high luster finish to really show it off also. I think maybe changing the finish to a higher luster may really make that grain "burst out" and shimmer. I will say that it's obvious you have great tool control also.

Steve Schlumpf
02-08-2008, 9:02 AM
Tom,

I see by your other post (showing the pieces going to the gallery) that you are into thick-walled turnings. Some people will like them - some probably not but the fact that the gallery tracked you down to request them proves that there is an interest out there.

Critique of the bowl - I love the size and the sheer mass of it. The wood is beautiful but I agree with Brian that a high lustre finish would showcase the wood even more.

Next thing to consider is the photography. It would be nice to see a profile shot the next time you request a critique as it is hard to really 'see' the bowl with only a top and bottom shot. Also, to truly highlight the wood you need a background that is not competing for attention. It doesn't have to be a photo tent but should be something non-textured and neutral in color.

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing some more!

Frank Kobilsek
02-08-2008, 9:05 AM
Tom,

Thick bowls offer some design opportunities, especially on the rim. Try a bowl of same outside shape and thickness but a flatter rim that is either tipped inward or outward. As David suggested this will frame the center. Painting, burning, carving etc are all great highlights of this surface. On thicker bowls I like to under cut the inside of the rim a bit. This makes the piece easy to grap by the rim.

Your shallow shape is very nice and you do appear to have achieved the steady curve from rim to foot. Good bowl. Fill it with popcorn and put in a turning DVD, sit down, plop that bowl in your lap and enjoy.

Frank

Kevin McPeek
02-08-2008, 9:49 AM
I'll take a stab at it.
I believe there may be a little too much imortance placed on wall thickness on a lot of turnings. Thick or thin doesn't necessarily change the look of the wood, although it may, because you may uncover new features ot turn them away, it does however change the look of the piece. In any case there should be some definition to the shape and parts of the bowl.
Your example appears to have a very nice flow to the shape of the bowl, inside and out, but it is a little difficult to see where the bowl stops and the base begins. The base appears to be a little larger than one would expect but a little definition could clear that up. (A more direct view of it may clear change that perception though) The radiused rim is something that just doesn't have a "finished" look to it. It may be appropriate on a dough bowl or something where that tactile aspect is as important as the aesthetic aspect.
No matter these things the bowl is very nice, it'd be a good addition to anyones collection.

Paul Engle
02-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Now see , the bowl is perfect and I think you achieved your goal , I do agree with the back ground change .... but Gone with the Wind? ....tears???? :confused:

Tom Keen
02-08-2008, 10:32 AM
I will try to take a profile shot tonight.. but the base is almost round. There is a small flat spot to give the piece a little stability.

Yes, a high luster finish would be right and I'll work on it.

Im not sure how I would put some more definition in the rim..I could have a half radius with the outside edge sharp.. something like that?

Thanks,Tom

Harvey Mushman
02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Regarding thick walled bowls and vessels -

Check out Dennis Elliott

http://www.denniselliott.com/imagepages/12.582.htm

Tom Sherman
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Tom I think you achieved what you were shooting for. It is a very nice shape and the wood is spectacular. Nice job.

Arlan Ten Kley
02-08-2008, 1:04 PM
Tom, thanks for posting! I'm learning a lot with this too!

Glenn Hodges
02-09-2008, 2:30 PM
I can only add to what has been said that I like it.