PDA

View Full Version : Jointer/Planer - First gloat!!

Kevin Groenke
02-07-2008, 6:43 PM
I picked up an old Dewalt DW50 10" Jointer/Planer off of CraigsList a while back. I didn't realize what a buy I got until I saw what modern incarnations of this machine are selling for here:
http://sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=767694&postcount=30

I've run the machine a few times and it's smooth, relatively quiet and way lighter the the G0609 12" jointer in our shop. I jointed some 6' stock and it didn't seem that the short beds presented too much of a problem, of course I doubt it would handle all stock without the short tables being an issue. The 10" jointing capacity in such a small/light footprint is great, even if jointing long stock could be problematic.

Oddly I don't really have a use for the machine, (unless I could find the mortiser) it was just too good a deal to pass up. The FIL is going to take it to his shop next time he's in the neighborhood.

Oh yeah, I paid $200. Got the original manual,an extra set of sharp knifes and a very pleasant chat with a fellow woodbutcher (hi Paul!) in the bargain.

-kg

Curt Harms
02-07-2008, 7:16 PM
I don't know how others work, but I like to cut stock to near finished sized before face jointing if possible. It's easier to handle and if the piece is pretty bowed or twisted, a lot of material has to be removed before one face is flat and the finished piece may be too think. Shorter/narrower stock needs less thickness removed in order to be flat. I guess if I were doing tall solid wood cabinets that wouldn't work but for me I seldom need to joint anything longer than 4 feet so those beds would work out fine.

Enjoy

Curt

Paul Snowden
02-07-2008, 7:21 PM
$200??? For that price you should be arrested.

Joseph Ragsdale
02-07-2008, 7:22 PM
That's interesting. I didn't know Dewalt made combo jointer/planer machines.

It looks like an old machine. I thought all Dewalt tools are yellow :D

I like the concept of combining these two machines into one. They're used together so much, I've always thought of them as one anyway even though they're usually separate machines.

I'm tempted to hold off on buying an 8" jointer and 12" portable planer and buying a 6" jointer instead with the same portable planer. After I save up some more money, I'll upgrade from those two machines to a 12" combo jointer/planer.

An 8" jointer with a portable planer costs about $950. A 12" combo jointer/planer cost twice that amount if not more.

The combo machines are just cool.

Good find. Have fun with it!

Jim Becker
02-07-2008, 7:40 PM
Nice find, Kevin!

Peter Quinn
02-07-2008, 7:40 PM
Kevin, you go back there and give that guy the rest of the money you owe him right now! Nice Find.

I have a 1951 Dewalt GR RAS 14"blade--24"crosscut in my shop, cuts true and square, lady I got it from said I could take it if I could move it, her contractor left it in her basement 22 years ago..never came back! I moved it, now I own it. I won't buy a yellow dewalt but they sure made nice green ones!