PDA

View Full Version : Input on Drum Sanders?

Roger Barga
03-07-2004, 6:31 AM
I would appreciate input on the smaller drum sanders.

For the past few years I’ve had easy access to a 50” commercial drum sander, but those days are coming to an end. I am considering buying a drum sander for my shop, which my wife calls the garage, and certainly can’t afford the space or $$$ for a 50-incher. I have seen smaller Performax (their 16/32) & Delta drum sanders at my local Woodcraft but haven’t heard any first hand reports. I’d greatly appreciate hearing feedback, both positive and negative on these units, whether you use it all that much, as well as any tips on buying (where to get a good buy, best model, etc).

Thanks,
Roger

Dave Avery
03-07-2004, 9:15 AM
Roger,

I don't have either, but this is my thinking on the issue......

The $8-900 machines do OK sanding, albeit at a relatively slow pace and after some small-medium amount of fiddling with the machines to get them to work well. The larger machines do better and faster work, but room is an issue for you.

As a hobbiest, I use a local shop when I need a drum sander. It doesn't happen all that often, it's reasonable in cost, and I don't have almost $1K tied up in an "OK" machine. One disclaimer...... my Festool Rotex sander, along with careful preparation, milling, and assembly minimizes the need for using a drum sander. I'm sure you'll get other opinions, though. Dave.

Mark Singer
03-07-2004, 9:22 AM
Roger,
I have the General 24" drum sander. It is a 3hp machine with a rubber -like conveyor belt and does a good job. I used to have the Performax 16-32 and it was slow and only good for smaller boards. The General is about $1500

Jim Becker
03-07-2004, 9:27 AM
I can't speak from experience, but I can tell you that I'm considering purchase o the new Performax 22-44 Plus...which is a slightly larger version of the popular 16-32 machine. (The 22-44 Pro is an entirely different machine) The new machine speaks to the one thing I don't like about the 16-32 and that is the maximum width without flipping the workpiece around. 22" will cover virtually anything I would normally build in one direction, yet the machine will still be useful for wider stock. The closed-end machines are nice and yes, you can get them a little beefier as Mark indicates, but for a hobbiest, I'd like more width versatility and am less concerned about speed.

On the other hand, Dave's method is certainly worth considering, espcially if the need for the drum sander is sporatic. After all, they do take up space in the shop!

Mark Stutz
03-07-2004, 10:18 AM
Roger,
I have th 16-32 and am happy with it. I am compulsive about the instructions, and watched the video several times before set. It came out dead on the first time and has sayed that way. It depends on what you will be doing. As has been posted, it is SLOW. I feed a piece thru 2 or 3 times before changing the setting. For short pieces that I use for boxes, etc. it seems ideal. I have not yet tried wide pieces that need to be flipped other that when I was setting it up. It also works better on figured stock than my planer, though admittedly I don't change the blades as often as I should.

Earl Reid
03-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi, Roger

I've had the 16-32 since the were first introduced. It is a great machine for me. All my boards are planed and then final sized on the sander.
Often I run it thru 2-3 times between ajustments. I very seldom have to sand wide boards or panels. A few times I have used it as a planer with 30 grit sand paper. the results were good. There have been times when I used it for several hrs at a time, the motor would get quite hot , I'm sure it wouldn't work very well as a production machine.
Earl

John Miliunas
03-07-2004, 12:14 PM
Roger, I too was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Performax 22-44, but then I ran into a treeeeeeemendous deal on the Delta 18-36. For the majority of work I do and the $$ saved, I can't say enough good about it. Spot on for all the adjustments straight out of the box, very good to excellent dust collection, easy paper changes and I bought it during Delta's rebate thing and got a free PC LR690 to boot! Like the Performax, it's not going to break any land speed records and I too prefer a couple passes at the same depth before changing to the next. When using higher grit paper (220), one barely has to touch it with ROS after that. I've not had a need (yet) to use the capacity for flipping stock around, but I did do a quick test on it and it seems to do an equitable job with that, as well. :cool:

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-07-2004, 1:28 PM
Roger
I am very pleased with my Performax 16-32
You might give General Industrial Supply a call
On the web they are generalindustrialsupp.com
They sell scratch and dent Performax equipment.

The usual disclaimer - I am not affilliated - just happy with their customer service and consideration.
Daniel :cool:

John Weber
03-07-2004, 1:45 PM
Roger,

I would also run to the local mill and use their sander, cost was about $5 a board I think. But since I bought a Performax, I use it on almost every project with very good results. I guess it is a little slow, but it is nice to use it at 11 pm, rather then waiting until the next business day. You can quickly get the hang of paper and feed rates. I would buy it again, if I had more room I might look at a closed end drum sander, but they have a big footprint for a small shop.

John

Greg Heppeard
03-07-2004, 1:57 PM
I've used the Delta 18-36 in the shop for the last couple of years. It is kind of slow, but I have time to kill most of the time when I'm doing a project. It does leave a line when you do a piece wider than 18 inches, but it's easily sanded off with a ROS. Most of the big pieces I've run thru it were burls that wouldn't have been pretty coming out of the planer, and I was dealing with a chain saw finish from the start. Turned out really nice.

Kevin Post
03-07-2004, 5:46 PM
I've used the Delta 18-36 in the shop for the last couple of years. Most of the big pieces I've run thru it were burls that wouldn't have been pretty coming out of the planer...

Add another satisfied customer to the list of Delta 18/36 owners. I've had one for about a year. I never expected it to be speedy or have the muscle of the larger machines. For that reason, I am completely satisfied.

I rarely need to use it for anything that requires me to flip the stock and pass it through the other way. I decided on the Delta over the Performax because of those extra two inches. I purchased it specifically for use on highly figured wood and veneers. It's been great...

-Kevin

Jerry Todd
03-07-2004, 7:27 PM

For the past few years I’ve had easy access to a 50” commercial drum sander, but those days are coming to an end. I am considering buying a drum sander for my shop, which my wife calls the garage, and certainly can’t afford the space or $$$ for a 50-incher. I have seen smaller Performax (their 16/32) & Delta drum sanders at my local Woodcraft but haven’t heard any first hand reports. I’d greatly appreciate hearing feedback, both positive and negative on these units, whether you use it all that much, as well as any tips on buying (where to get a good buy, best model, etc).

Thanks,
Roger
Hey roger, I purchased the woodmaster drum sander and have been happy with it. Great customer support.
http://www.woodmastertools.com/
Jerry

Dennis Peacock
03-07-2004, 8:45 PM
Roger,

I have the Performax 16-32 and really like it. I have looked at sanders from 16 to 52 inches wide. The cost gets too ridiculus for a hobbiest. If I were a pro shop like Todd Burch or Bobby Hatfield, then I would be looking into the largest sander I could possibly afford. With limited space, the 16-32 will serve you well. I know people say that the smaller drum sanders are SLOW.....but compare the speed of sanding 1/16" off of a board by hand and have it dead flat, compare that amount of time and labor to the time and labor involved in feeding the 16-32 and WATCH the boards get sanded for ya. One thing to consider here with a drum sander is Very Good Dust Collection.!!!!! You really need some air to keep the paper from clogging prematurely and generating more heat during the sanding process than necessary. Customer support for the Performax is EXCELLENT and when my power switch went out, they had me a new switch delivered to my door in short order.

Cost of the machine should be the least of your concerns. It is most commonly the support AFTER the sell, necessary supplies and availability should also be in your mind. After all, the purchase of any tool is just the beginning of your expenses and time involvement. Kind of like buying a lathe.....the lathe purchase is great....but all the stuff needed to make the lathe work for you is another sizeable investment. :)

I recommend the 16-32 to any hobbiest. Fast it's not, works...it does and faster than what any of us can do by hand.

Just my 2¢ worth on this.

Stan Smith
03-08-2004, 10:52 AM
I have had the Performax 16-32 for over a year. I had trouble getting the drum in proper adjustment at first, but now it's just fine. I called tech support and got some pointers on making the adjustment.

This sander has saved many a project for me in getting the wood flat. In fact, I have hardly ever used the planer since I got the Performax. I do small stuff and you can't run it through the planer without making special jigs to carry the stock. I've gotten pretty fast at changing belts, too. Dust collection is a must with this sander--which is also a great feature.

Stan

Jason Tuinstra
03-08-2004, 1:17 PM
Roger, I have just started to use my 16/32 Performax. I have nothing but good things to say. Unlike others, I don't run the boards thru multiple times before adjusting and I haven't had any problems with burning. I don't take off more than a quarter turn at a time and make sure that the sand paper is clean with one of those eraser things. A few weeks ago I sanded a 24"x42" table for an EC and had no problems. I don't have the infeed and outfeed tables, so I was a little nervous. I ended up feeding it onto my table saw top and used this to prevent snipe. I have found it invaluable for figured woods as well. Can't say enough about it. As for the speed, it hasn't bothered me at all.

Chris Padilla
03-08-2004, 2:13 PM
Well, doggone it. Am I getting a bandsaw next or a darn sander now? :mad: :confused:

Since I gloated about the nice figured wood I have that I'm sure my planer (Delta 13" xx-580) would make a mess of, now I am seriously thinking about a drum sander. Sigh...space and money, space and money.... ;)

Dick Parr
03-08-2004, 2:17 PM
Chris, it's only money. Get them both. :D :D :D :p

John Miliunas
03-08-2004, 2:46 PM
Well, doggone it. Am I getting a bandsaw next or a darn sander now? :mad: :confused:

Since I gloated about the nice figured wood I have that I'm sure my planer (Delta 13" xx-580) would make a mess of, now I am seriously thinking about a drum sander. Sigh...space and money, space and money.... ;)

Well.....The BS takes up less floor space! :D I think the BS is far more versatile and you'd use it more. Depending on the project at hand, you could effectively double (or better)the mileage of your pretty woods with a BS. As for planing the pretty stuff, wet it down pretty good and take very, very light passes. Then use a ROS to smooth it out. Yes, the drum sander alleviates much of this and is "safer" than the planer, but the process can still be accomplished without one, whereas things you can do with a nice BS are much harder to duplicate by other methods. Just my $00.02.... :cool:

Jim Schmoll
03-08-2004, 10:57 PM
I have a 16/32 in my back yard...To slow and under powered for what I need. Give me a shout or e-mail if interested.

Jim from Idyllwild CA
909-415-1010

Mike Evertsen
03-09-2004, 8:38 AM

Thanks,
RogerI have delta it's been a good sander,,don't know where your at but there is one is for sale at Woodnet.