PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor 750X -$99.99 - Amazon

Mikail Khan
02-07-2008, 8:42 AM
Drill Doctor DD750X Drill Bit Sharpener $99.99 @ Amazon.

This is about $30 off the regular price.

Mikail

Elena Demeris
02-07-2008, 8:54 AM
I've often wondered if these are worth the $$. Have you used one?

Tim Malyszko
02-07-2008, 9:09 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to purchase one ever since I saw a late-night infomercial on them. I have so many dull drill bits that needs sharpening.

$99 is the cheapest I've seen the 750x on sale anywhere. Happy Thursday to me!!!:D

Brian Kerley
02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
My father has one, but they will only sharpen twist bits. For what you pay for the drill dr., it'd probably be cheaper just to go buy some new twist bits. They aren't expensive.

rob forham
02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
If you do a lot of drilling its worth it. Think of the time/gas saved by not going to a store for a new bit. Also consider project momentum. 5 to 10 minutes sharpening a bit ver 30 minutes + to run out for a bit.

jason lambert
02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I have one I think it is well worth it. Although I do allot of drilling with long bits in walls so every time I sharpen a bit it saves me like $15 not to mention I always have sharp bits now and don't struggle with semi dull ones. I never realized how dull my bits where and how much better a sharp bit is. The machine also allows you to split the tip for better accuracy and no walking even on bits where this was not originally done. Not to mention I don't have to go buy new drill bits when one in my set goes dull I just never really replaced them anyhow to much of a pain. I think it is well worth the money.

Jim Solomon
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
If you do a lot of drilling its worth it. Think of the time/gas saved by not going to a store for a new bit. Also consider project momentum. 5 to 10 minutes sharpening a bit ver 30 minutes + to run out for a bit.

I agree Rob. Nothing more of as pain then to be held up or botch up a project because of a dull bit. I'd pay that much to stay out of the checkout line at HD/Lowes, etc.:D
Jim

Randal Stevenson
02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
My father has one, but they will only sharpen twist bits. For what you pay for the drill dr., it'd probably be cheaper just to go buy some new twist bits. They aren't expensive.

Correction, they will sharpen masonary bits, besides twist drills.
I have some higher dollar bits that I found at a damaged freight store for reasonable (about the cost of three sets of cheap bits). They last a LOT longer, but the Drill Dr. also helps, as I used to do automotive work and was always wearing them down from inept self mechanic attempts (common thing was if one bolt was left hand threaded, then ALL the bolts must be left hand threaded/broken bolt).

The ONLY thing I would MAKE SURE, is IF you order the left handed chuck, MAKE SURE IT SAYS for the 750X NOT just the 750. I bought mine on sale at Amazon about 2 years ago (shouldn't need any bits in a LONG time), and at the time they only carried the old style left hand chuck. Mine was linked to as an accessory and returned because of that.

Ted Herazy
02-07-2008, 4:14 PM
This is another reason why I'm glad I visit this board a couple of times a day. I've been wanting to get one of these and that is a good price with free shipping.

I'd spend a couple of bucks in gas and 30-45 minutes round trip going to the nearest HD. Since I always break a bit at the worst possible time, I'd consider this thing paid for if it kept me from making an emergency trip just two or three times.

Jack Ganssle
02-07-2008, 4:51 PM
I love mine. I drill a lot of stainless, which dulls bits pretty fast. I used to just replace bits, but always a little too late, so seemed to work with less-than-sharp stuff too much. Now everything is sharp, all the time.

The only downside: my friends bring all their bits over here to sharpen them!

Ray Scheller
02-07-2008, 6:36 PM
I've been wanting one of these for a long time. I just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up:D

Larry Anderson
02-07-2008, 7:39 PM
The 750 will accept up to 3/4" bits, the 350 will do up to 1/2" bits. Other than that is there any difference between the two models. I ask because I have a coupon and $25 vs. $75 matters to me.

Rich Schneider
02-07-2008, 8:17 PM
Dang..thanks a lot...I promised myself this year I would curb my impulse shopping...so much for that...but I'll have a new toy to play with now!:D

Larry Anderson
02-07-2008, 8:27 PM
I know what you mean Rich, I bought the $27 Emerson clamp from Amazon and now find I really don't need it.

Ted Herazy
02-13-2008, 8:40 AM
My DD arrived last night and I sharpened a few bits this morning. I'm impressed with the results and how little time it took to do the sharpening.

One of the bits I worked on was broken. It probably took an extra two minutes to get a sharp edge compared to touching up a dull bit.

Now to work on the container full of dull bits . . .:)

Tim Malyszko
02-13-2008, 8:50 AM
I got mine too last night. I sure wish I had it on Sunday. Drilling 1/4" holes in the side of my cast iron bandsaw table was not an easy feat with a partially dull bit -- I was mounting my Kreg fence to my bandsaw, which did not accept the Kreg Fence without slight modification to the table.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-13-2008, 9:32 AM
Back oh maybe 30 some odd years ago I started in a little machine shop as a not terribly competent apprentice.

the crabby old guy who was teaching me how to be a machinist with a lathe thought I need to learn how to sharpen a drill. So he handed me a box of old drills, said something rather vulgar, and sent me to the pedestal grinder.

It took me all of less than an afternoon to figure it out and get it perfect. Maybe an hour maybe. If you are looking for deadly accuracy then you want a Black Diamond drill grinder. If you want sharp drills that work great just look at the end of a drill bit and think about duplicating that geometry by hand on a grinder.

It really is quite easy and by hand it's way faster than the gizmo.

fred woltersdorf
02-13-2008, 9:54 AM
Drill Doctor DD750X Drill Bit Sharpener $99.99 @ Amazon.

This is about $30 off the regular price.

Mikail
it's up to $109 now, is it still a good deal?

Tim Malyszko
02-13-2008, 10:28 AM
it's up to $109 now, is it still a good deal?

The normal price is around $130 and the lowest price I've ever seen it is $99. Over the holidays, I was going to purchase it at Rockler with my 20% off any single itme coupon, which would have put it around $103 before taxes.

In my opinion $109 is still a good price.

In all honesty, I won't use mine a ton since I don't drill metal too often or break bits too often, but when I do, it will be much more convenient having the 750x on hand than having to run to the hardware store to get a new bit.

Chas Richter
02-13-2008, 5:33 PM
I just went to amazon and they are selling for $129.

Alex Shanku
02-13-2008, 7:14 PM
Larry,

The 750 can change angle from 115*-140* or anywhere in between. It also can handle up to 3/4"

Cliff,

I would bet you I can sharpen 10 bits faster will the DD than you can by hand. ;)