PDA

View Full Version : Best Router for table use only and best router lift

Charlie Patterson
02-07-2008, 4:37 AM
Ok time for some more great input. I would like to know what everyone thinks is the best router to use only in a table and also the best lift that allows bit changes from the top. I am still undecided to build or buy yet but it will either be the NYW table or one of the RT-1000 tables.Decisions,Decisions

Thanks
Charlie

Bill Huber
02-07-2008, 5:31 AM
I can't tell you which one is best because I haven't tried then all (yet).

I do know that the Jessem Router R FX Lift is a really nice lift. It is made like a battleship and works very well. I am using it with a Bosch 1617 EVS and the comb is great. The lift is smooth and will raise the router up for table top bit changes. I can set a height and lower the router and come right back to the same height, just count the turns. The router comes out with just one lever and it will just slide right out.

I have the left on the Jessem table with the Jessem fence. I did build my cabinet for the table.

The Jessem is just one sweet setup, it is flat, I have checked it, it is smooth and really nice to work on.
The fence is, I really don't have the words to say, it just damn good. again it is build like a battleship and the way it mounts is the main reason I got it.

Here is the left.
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/85312068

This is the fence and you can see how it mounts.
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/85312069

This is set up and ready to go.
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/85895627

The macro adjuster I made for the fence
http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/88805460

scott spencer
02-07-2008, 7:12 AM
I can't tell you which one is best because I haven't tried then all (yet)....

Bill said it well! I've been happy with the MW5625 and FT1700 as table routers....I especially like the above table features of the FT1700 but it's not as powerful as the MW5625. My former FT2000 worked well but didn't offer the features that the other two have.

Brad Ridgway
02-07-2008, 8:02 AM
I'm a mix of the previous two posts... I use the big 3+ milwaukee and the jessem... OK, i haven't actually used it yet :) (awaiting my 1/2 collet from amazon)

but the lift is nice. I think someone at amazon said with the built in lift feature of the milwaukee (they provide a t-wrench), no other lift is needed.

I dunno, i sure like the crank/measurements on the jessem...

Alan Trout
02-07-2008, 8:31 AM
I have a PC 7518 that is an absolute workhorse. It will power through just about anything. My lift is the Jointech Smartlift Pro. It has the digital readout which is a very nice feature when needing to make precise height adjustments. It is amazing how you become so dependent on that feature. It really works well.

Good Luck

Alan

Dick Bringhurst
02-07-2008, 8:49 AM
PC 7518 and Woodpecker PRL. Hard to beat. I've had mine for 10 years and no problems. Lots of use. Dick B.

Peter Quinn
02-07-2008, 8:55 AM
I have the jessem lift with an old 3 1/2hp ryobi (pre-home chepo...when ryobi was going for quality) and an Extreme shaft extension. Hangs in the outboard of TS. Works great. Nice phenolic inserts can be cut zero clearance when needed. Little bit of slack in the hight mechanism, always gotta adjust hight coming up, but fine precise adjustments are easy. All bit changes are above table.

Have used the bench dog lift in another shop, worked well, I just didn't 'connect' with it as well.

Also have a bosch 1617 with extra base screwed to an 1 1/2" melamine lamination with a piece of poplar clamped to the table. Crude looking, low tech, works just as well, little bit harder to change bits and adjust hight. If you spin big bits really need a 3+hp machine.

I have a bosch 1619 ready to replace the ryobi (if it ever lays down and dies!) Have not tried to table mount it but they enginered it to go in a table, you can disengage the plunge mechanism quickly for table use. Above table the 1619 is great...big smooth and powerful. PC speedmatic is the toughest motor I have ever used, really an industrial production tool. Last big router you might ever buy. No need or budget for that tool personally though. Opted for a few more horses in my stable in stead of one thorobred.

Beware: if lots of doors and curved work is your game, shaper is your tool. Seen guys spend more on router tables than I did on my used delta HD shaper, makes me scratch my head. My router and shaper are comlimentary, not competitors. Making a few doors? Get a verticle bit in a 2 1/4hp router, tall fence. Making more than a few or your own moldings? 3 1/4hp, horizontal bit. Making lots of doors over a lifetime? Simple router table, start saving for shaper. Just my advise. Still use my router tables daily but haven't made a door or raised a panel since I got the shaper.

Bruce Page
02-07-2008, 9:07 AM
PC 7518 and Bench Dog.
Built for the long haul.

Jim Becker
02-07-2008, 9:09 AM
"Best" is relative. My choice has been the PC7518 router and the Bench Dog lift...in the Bench Dog cast iron table top. Very "shaper like" in many respects.

Earl Reid
02-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I use the "Router Rasser" and love it
Earl

Mike Wilkins
02-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Another vote for the PC7518 and Woodpecker PRL.
But I like Mr. Becker's set-up even better. Can't go wrong with massive amounts of cast iron.

jason lambert
02-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I have done alot of reasearch here. I have a woodpecker and love it.

The benchdog is the most durable and in a production shop this is what I would buy, it is also the heaveyest.

The woodpecker I think is a little nicer and has some added features but is alumin instead of steal. I can't say if that is good or bad never I have never known anyone to ware one out.

Jensen I have herd good things about, I looked at there set up and was going to get the whole kit and table till I found out I can not put a fence riser on it.

My favorite and net one is going to be a Smartlift Digital Router Lift (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17320). Everyone likes it and you can repeat cuts. So I will never have to measure and test cut my joining bits again will save so much set up time.

Stan Welborn
02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
PC 7518 and Bench Dog.
Built for the long haul.
yup. Was my choice as well.

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I really like the idea of the digital read out for repeatability. BUT, I have the PRL and 7518, and it is very nice. Jim.

Jim McDonald
02-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Same as Alan. Had a little problem with the digital portion, but that is in the process of being taken care of by Jointech. As far as the router is concerned it,s really a horse @ 3.5 hp. The router lift portion is well built, and when the digitals work, it will be great.

Ken Glass
02-07-2008, 6:11 PM
One more vote for the 7518 with a Woodpecker 420A Quick Lift. It had saved me countless hours in adjustment time.

Ray Scheller
02-07-2008, 6:24 PM
Another PC 7518 owner with a Bench Dog lift, in fact I like :Dthat combination so much I have two of each in a double set Bench Dog router table. This really speeds up raised panel doors, lock miter joints etc.

Dan Lee
02-07-2008, 6:55 PM
Same PC7518 for 13 years and Jessem MastRLift for 4years great combo for me

John Dingman
02-08-2008, 8:32 AM
Another 7518 user with the Woodpecker Quick Lift.

John

Chris Padilla
02-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Another vote for the PC7518 and Woodpecker PRL.
But I like Mr. Becker's set-up even better. Can't go wrong with massive amounts of cast iron.

Ditto for me...I love it but the PRL does require a good yearly cleaning to keep it moving smoothly.

Bill Wyko
02-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Almost every quality lift is made for the PC 7518 router and everything else is adapted. I have 2 7518 router tables and I can tell you that they will take anything you can dish out to it. You could burry it in saw dust and it'll keep going. IMHO you can't go wrong. As far as lifts go, I have a Rockler and a Jessem. Both are quality units but I really like the one with the dial indicator and the crank handle on the side of the table.

Byron Trantham
02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
PC 7518 and Woodpecker PRL. Hard to beat. I've had mine for 10 years and no problems. Lots of use. Dick B.

Same here!:D