PDA

View Full Version : More Corian Pens

Jon Lanier
02-07-2008, 2:29 AM
Purple and Dark Green Corian. Satin Gold Deco Slim and and a regular gold.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8805/corianpen2iu7.jpg

David Walser
02-07-2008, 2:48 AM
Jon,

Those are very nice. Two quick questions:

How do you like turning Corian? I've never turned a synthetic.
How does that satin gold finish hold up? The soft shimmer is a nice contrast to the shinny gloss of the Corian.Hope you don't mind my asking.

Jon Lanier
02-07-2008, 3:45 AM
David Walser,

Thanks. Two quick answers:

How do you like turning Corian? I've never turned a synthetic. It Turns just fine and sands well... not really any different than an acrylic and it is nice not needing to put a CA finish over it.
How does that satin gold finish hold up? I really don't know, first time I used the satin gold. The soft shimmer is a nice contrast to the shinny gloss of the Corian.I don't mind you asking at all. Just hope my answers helped. :o

robert hainstock
02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Nice pens Jon. I agree Corian is nice to turn, makes beautiful pens,and in my case inexpensive.(free leftover scrap at a local counter shop). You just have to remember to cut the blanks long to account for the drill tearout (2 1/2" for slimline blanks). Sorry Jon. :):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Jon those are beauties. I like turning Corian. It finishes well and really polishes up nice with the beall buff.

Greg Deemer
02-13-2008, 2:56 PM
Corian pens... They look great and you can sit hot things on them.... ;) Question: I have tried turning corian and it seemed like it dulls the tools faster then wood. Is that right? I have never turned acrylic, maybe its the same. Do you find it brittle with slim line pens? Off the subject but have you ever heard of turning bowling balls? They have a site on the net that shows you how to slice a bowling ball. The skin is about 1" thick and takes some imagination when you slice into it. Bit winded here but I'm just starting my turning hobby and like most very thirsty for knowledge.....

Denis Monti
02-17-2008, 2:32 AM
Greg.

I've turned many corian pens. It is harder than wood for sure, even harder than resin as it contains 25% marble. It therefore dulls tools quickly.
I've had no problems turning corian slimlines. All look good and sell well.

Denis