PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Forge?

Jon Lanier
02-06-2008, 10:45 PM
The wife and I are going down for a convention next week and I was wondering if there was any "woodworking" sites to visit in the area? Anything of interest down that way? I've never been to that area of the country before.

Matt Meiser
02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
There is (at least was) a tool place at one of the outlet malls that carried a lot of scratch-n-dent Delta stuff. Its been 5 years since I've been down there though. No real reason to go down there now that my BIL that used to live there moved back here.

Its off-season down there and I think a lot of the tourist traps, shows, etc close down.

Jim Tobias
02-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Jon,
My wife and I went there several years ago and while Pigeon Forge is interesting, the most enjoyable part of the trip was when we ventured down/up to Gatlinburg. It was a short drive and the Gatlinburg area is filled with artist and craftsmen of all types. The town proper has shops , but what was interesting is just driving around the mountains and stopping at individual art/craft places. There are a lot of artists and craftsmen that have their own studio/stores along the mountainous neighborhoods of Gatlinburg. You would need to ask someone in town which dirstion to go , but we found it to be very relaxing and leisurely to roam/drive from shop to shop.
Jim

Colin Giersberg
02-07-2008, 8:58 PM
One of the big woodworking schools is in Gatlinburg, not too far from the Gatlinburg Aquarium, on the other side of the highway, unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the school. I will try to find out, and if I do, then I will edit this reply.

Regards, Colin

It is called the Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts.

Dave Lehnert
02-07-2008, 11:24 PM
ON the highway going to PF in Sevierville, TN. is a place called Workshop tools. They have some very good deals. Little bit of everything. www.workshoptools.com (http://www.workshoptools.com)
Across the street is Smoky mountain knife works. I did not plan to stay long but spent a few hours in there. Some woodcarving tools and mallets is the basement by the knife sharping shop. http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

Matt Meiser
02-08-2008, 8:41 AM
Ah, that's the place I was talking about. Sounds like they've expanded since I was there last. It looks like they have those old locations, plus the new one. And three in other cities.

Thomas Canfield
02-08-2008, 10:30 PM
A couple of years ago there were 3 different Workshop Tool stores in the area some different larger tools at each one. There is also a good source for hardwood lumber and some turning stock in Knoxville on the SE side, but I cannot remember the name. Call before you go there because they had some different hours and days, and you need to get directions.