PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood vessel

Arlan Ten Kley
02-06-2008, 9:53 PM
I've come to terms with another piece of the hollow dogwood stump. Once agan the wood has revealed some great character. One of my motivations toward form was to capture more of a functional vessel look with a lower center of gravity. I am particularly interested in hearing your opinions on the appropriateness and proportions of the lip as well as other aspects of the form or shape. Other observations, suggestions or critiques are welcome as well.

3 5/8" wide and 3 1/4" tall

Curt Fuller
02-06-2008, 10:05 PM
There are some shapes and forms that look good regardless of the wood. And there are some woods that look good regardless of the form. But in my opinion you've nailed it on both accounts with this. Without knowing the whys behind the form and opening all I can say is it looks great.

Tim A. Mitchell
02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Looks good to me. I think the lip is well done. It has a real "pottery" feel, as if it is an old pot.

Edit: Oh, and that wood really has it going on.

Richard Madison
02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
The wood is beautiful, and I think the lip is just fine. Given a choice, I would like to see it taper a bit more as you move upward from the widest point to the neck. Not sure that made sense. In different words, would like to see it narrower at the point 2/3 of the way up from the bottom, but still a smooth curve all the way to the neck. The lip is great. It's a beautiful piece.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Arlan

I like this one for a couple of reasons. First - it's has a real painted pottery look about it. I figure that is the result of the combination of form and the beautiful wood. Second - I like the undercut lip. Bet that was fun to make without tear-out!

As to a comment on just the form - I can't tell if it is the photo or not but the form looks just a bit out of round at about the 1/3 point - up from the foot. Wierd thing is - because it is not spherical it creates more of the old pottery look. Hey, congrats - this piece works! I am seriously looking forward to your next piece!

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Beautiful piece Arlan. The wood and form are great. Well done.

David Walser
02-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Arlan,

That's a wonderfully simple pot. It looks like it had been made by a master potter and could have been dug out of the earth where it had been for 3,000 years. It's wonderful.

Don Eddard
02-07-2008, 3:58 AM
Beautiful piece and I really like the lip. My only critique would be the slight flattening out of the curve in the middle part of the form. I think it could still have the ancient pottery look with a bit smoother, but still appropriate 'bottom heavy' curve. It's still a great job that you should be proud to have come off your lathe.

Arlan Ten Kley
02-07-2008, 7:37 AM
I value all of your comments. Thanks for taking the time to note them. As to the slightly flattened curve...yes, I've observed that also, more so after it was complete...! Thee piece does have an area that is natural surface, causing some of the "out of round" look. It is located in the area of the lower left portion of the first view..with the dark, smaller spots.

One thing I learned, or was reminded of again...is the drastic difference in hardness of the various areas of the spalting. The lip particularly was a victim of this while sanding...!

Here is another view that shows more of the out of round, though it is hidden on the right side. This side view also exagerates the flattened curve.

Mike A. Smith
02-07-2008, 8:18 AM
I wanna hold it! Just for a few minutes I promise!

Tom Sherman
02-07-2008, 9:29 AM
A very nice piece Arlan, the wood has awesome figure, and the shape shows it off well.

robert hainstock
02-07-2008, 9:55 AM
You ahve done an outstanding job with this piece. I am always impressed with your work, and your sense of perportions and the lip treatment ore in my humble eye perfection. :D:D:D:D:D
Bob

Skip Spaulding
02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Sure does have that pottery look but the wood grain adds the beauty. Wonderful!

Ben Gastfriend
02-07-2008, 5:53 PM
Yep, you nailed it! I really like that flattend out curve and the rim. And look at that wood! Great job.