PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Gloat(and 2nd and 3rd)

Jim Solomon
02-06-2008, 9:02 PM
A while back in Dec. I had a chance to purchase a PM 66 and a Delta DJ 20. They where bought new in 1989 and never used. My orginal thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=725437&page=2 Any way, I got them for $2150.00 First pic is of the hole I drilled into the face of the saw and installed a grommet to run the motor wire out. I want to someday make a cover for the motor. I have to get some dimensions. And as of now I still have to attach the Wixey digital fence and a extension table. I can not find any solid color Formica in my area. It's all fake granite/marble... uck. So as of now the saw hasn't had a board run through it yet:( I wanted to purchase a TS aligner JR. but came across a great deal on a never used BenchDog 360 miter guage for $175. I wanted an Incra but after seeing this I am very, very pleased:D
The jointer is finished. I call it the aircraft carrier, and my old Craftsman King Seely the rowboat:D I was completely amazed that after putting it together and setting the outfeed table correctly for the cutter head, none of the knives needed adjusting from factory. Thank goodness I purchased The Lee valley 50" straight edge. I faced and edge jointed two 8/4 x 5' hard maple and they came out perfect. This thing is a beast, well at least for me coming up from a 4" jointer
I'm happy that I hel off on the TS Aligner and got the BenchDog. It is a very nice piece of equipment. My only wish, is that I had a smaller fence system on the saw. I very rarely cut full size sheet goods and this thing takes up some room! But, all in all I am very lucky to have new (old)American made iron.
Jim

Jim O'Dell
02-06-2008, 9:10 PM
Congrats! Nice equipment. Now get that TS fired up!! :D Jim.

Jim Solomon
02-06-2008, 9:15 PM
More pics. Lucky I have a beam in the shop. I used it to lift the jointer onto the base. And did the same to lift the saw. I wrapped two slings around the bottom of the base to the top of the saw and lifted it onto it's mobile base. No other choice I didn't have any help.:(
Jim

Jim Solomon
02-06-2008, 9:18 PM
Congrats! Nice equipment. Now get that TS fired up!! :D Jim.
I fired it up, did the nickle, dime, penny test...passed. But I have to align the table and fence before I can work with it. I have it close, but want to save some more pennies to get a tool( ts aligner) to do it correctly. I have a dial indicator/ magnetic base but aside from checking the runout of arbor (none) and the flange .002 I couldn't figure out how to use it to set the table parralel to the slots.:o
Jim

Rob Will
02-06-2008, 9:23 PM
That is classic stuff Jim, congrats and enjoy:D

Rob

Jim Becker
02-06-2008, 9:41 PM
Lucky Dog on the BenchDog!! Oh how I wanted one of those right after they discontinued them. And I would have paid the high price, too...

Congrats on all!

Jim Solomon
02-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jim. It is nice. I like how the indents work. And extending it to the full width it seems pretty stout. All in all a good buy on my part. I can see why they had to stop making them. Well engineered, perhaps too well for their bottom line.
Jim

Jim Solomon
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I think I will cut off the long cord I put on the saw. I also put on a longer one on the Jointer. It is 18' long and I can see it being a problem storing on the saw. I'll leave a 4'/5' pigtail and with the extra, wire it into a satey switch mounted on the wall. I'll also put a red and green pilot light on the safety switch to indicate when the saw has power. That way I can roll up and hang the excess on a wall holder rather then haveing it dangling all over the saw when it's not in use. I do not ever invision me moving this saw further away the 8' from the wall switch. Anything wrong with this idea???
Jim
PS: The main reason I got such a long piece is Lowes had it on sale for .96 a foot. That was for 10ga. 4 wire SO wire. It was regulary $2.34 a foot. They have since marked it up to $1.93 a foot.

Mike Spanbauer
02-07-2008, 1:28 PM
They were amazing miters Jim. I think less than 100 left the factory to customers. I just sold mine last week as I've moved on to the Mast-R-Slide.

You have the same vintage PM66 as I do, except yours may have come w/ the plastic cover vs. my Metal cover ('84 vintage here.)

I could take a few measurements if you'd like.

mike

Bruce Page
02-07-2008, 2:36 PM
Congrats Jim, that's a worthy gloat!

Jeffrey Makiel
02-07-2008, 3:35 PM
I noticed that your dog has pretty good taste in machnery too.

-Jeff :)

Jim Solomon
02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I noticed that your dog has pretty good taste in machnery too.

-Jeff :)

Heh heh, yeah Jeff, she has to get in the pic. I call her my shadow.
Jim