PDA

View Full Version : Used Jet 15" Planer Comment

Don Abele
02-06-2008, 7:39 PM
Wow, I was checking out Craig's List and ran across a 15" Jet Planer for sale. I wrote the individual to ask if it was still for sale as the original post was made in the middle of December.

He replied it was and he was asking $800 for it. OK, a quick check finds it retails for $1249 and Grizzly sells the identical type unit for $795 (but with solid cast iron extension wings). This unit has been used in a professional cabinet shop for several years, so you can imagine it's seen a few feet of boards through it.

Am I just way off base on this or do these really hold their value that well? There's no way I would pay that kind of money for a heavily used tool.

I have a lunchbox planer, but thought I'd take a bite at upgrading - not at that price though.

BTW, he's also been trying to sell a Reliant dust collector for $700!!!

Oh, and he did turn down the lower offer I made ($500).

Be well,

Doc

Mike Cutler
02-06-2008, 8:07 PM
Doc

He's off base.
I loaded my Jet 15" planer into the back of my truck, brand new, from a Woodcraft, for < $800.00, not including tax. It was a floor demo unit, with some other specials kicked in. The only thing I didn't get was the shipping crate.I got a good deal, no doubt.
The Griz' with the solid CI extension tables is a better set up than the Jet with their cheesy rollers. I know, I have them on mine.

Your offer was a fair start point in my opnion.

Derek Hansen
02-06-2008, 8:33 PM
I've been watching Craigslist (Houston) for months now and it seems like everyone thinks their tools are worth a lot more than they really are. I have seen plenty of people with tools in good condition asking 80% of retail! I've made offers in the 50-60% range and been turned down.

Jim Becker
02-06-2008, 9:54 PM
Yea, off base. Buy the new one, Don! Cast iron extensions and a new warranty for the same money the dude is asking for used trumps things pretty good in my mind!

Jason Scott
02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Same problem here in Louisville, people wanting 90% of what tools are new, it is ridiculous...I am buying a new Jet 14" bandsaw from woodcraft in a couple of weeks on sale b/c I have been looking 6 mos. and can't find one for a decent price...