PDA

View Full Version : That season....

Bonnie Campbell
02-06-2008, 6:20 PM
Well, turkey season for those that hunt it. So the orders are stacking up for calls. Here's the latest friction pot call. Zebra wood pot and striker....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/USHF/BizZebra1.jpg

Ben Gastfriend
02-06-2008, 6:30 PM
Looks really nice. Sure will be one happy customer!

Les Kuesel
02-06-2008, 6:57 PM
Really beautiful workmanship on the turkey call. I'm a turkey hunter that just started turning last year. I just bought some slate and zebra wood to do my own calls. So I really have a good ideal how nice they will turn out. My shop isn't heated yet and I live in Wisconsin. So hopefully soon I can get started. Can I ask what finish you use and how much you sell them for.

Bonnie Campbell
02-06-2008, 7:02 PM
Les I use Helmsmans Spar for my calls. Takes me longer in the finishing process, but I like the added weather protection it offers. As for pricing, my calls sell from $35 for plain calls up to $75. Just depends upon wood and surfaces.

Let me know once you start making yours if you'd like to trade a call :)

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2008, 7:03 PM
Beautiful work Bonnie! Glad to hear that you are getting lots of orders!!

robert hainstock
02-06-2008, 7:36 PM
also nice to know some people get paid for having this much fun.;););)
ob

Bonnie Campbell
02-06-2008, 7:38 PM
LOL that is one of the perks I like Robert! Actually my call making has been financing turning other stuff :)

Tony Wheeler
02-06-2008, 7:57 PM
nice looking work how does it work? do you sratach in that small hole in the center I usally holler cold bud light and the turkeys come a runnin with your i wouldnt have to share the cold ones

Bonnie Campbell
02-06-2008, 8:07 PM
Sorry, I forget most people don't know much about the turkey calls. What's pictured in the Zebra call is the bottom of the call (turkey people know what the top looks like, so they want to just see the bottom lol). Here is a picture of a cherry call showing the 'surface' which is what you use the striker on to make the call sounds :) It is a slate surface. Surfaces can vary from slate, glass, crystal, copper, aluminum.... etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/annieoakley/Turkey%20calls/CherryCall.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2008, 8:34 PM
Beautiful piece and work Bonnie. Well done.

Skip Spaulding
02-07-2008, 4:37 PM
Beautiful call Bonnie. Here in VT we still have a couple of feet + of snow and much more to come. Spring turkey season here starts in May.