PDA

View Full Version : DC Pipe Straps

Sean Troy
02-06-2008, 5:57 PM
Does anyone know where to find Pipe Straps (large tube straps?)for the 6" PVC. I was thinking I would like to strap the pipe to the wall on some of the down drops for the DC setup. I think the preformed straps would give more holding ability. Thanks, Sean

Jason Beam
02-06-2008, 6:11 PM
Ya mean like perforated plumbers tape? BORG's got galv, copper or plastic ones in the plumbing department - usually down on the floor near the hose clamps.

Edit: Just re-read - you actually meant to type preformed, I thought you were shooting for perforated. Now I know what ya meant - nevermind me :)

Rob Will
02-06-2008, 7:26 PM
Sean,
I made saddles from plywood to fit the DC pipe and pocket screwed them to the wall. Painted to match - it looks very clean.

The saddles are sort of a "J" shape. This also provides just a bit of stand- off from the wall so your blast gates will fit better.

Rob

Chris Padilla
02-06-2008, 7:35 PM
I just used plumber's tape and if necessary, a strip of plywood behind the pipe to grab two studs. It is certainly no where near as elegant as what Rob above describes but I was only interested in getting it done at the time. :)

Steve Clardy
02-06-2008, 8:04 PM
I just used plumber's tape and if necessary, a strip of plywood behind the pipe to grab two studs. It is certainly no where near as elegant as what Rob above describes but I was only interested in getting it done at the time. :)

Ditto. My shop is not a studio. I work in it.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2008, 8:07 PM

Ditto. My shop is not a studio. I work in it.

What would you expect from the Clardy twins?:eek::rolleyes::D

It's hereditary!

Steve Clardy
02-06-2008, 8:12 PM

It's hereditary!

Ol' Mom taught us well ;):D

Mike Cutler
02-06-2008, 8:14 PM

It's hereditary!

Is this one of those Loggins and Messina things? Ya' know, "Twin sons of a different Mother"
:D:D:D:D:D

Chris and Steve.
Sorry, but i had to do it.;)

Steve Clardy
02-06-2008, 8:18 PM
Is this one of those Loggins and Messina things? Ya' know, "Twin sons of a different Mother"
:D:D:D:D:D

Chris and Steve.
Sorry, but i had to do it.;)

Lol. No problem.

Chris and I became twins down in Arkansas a few years back. :eek:

Now thats gonna be a long story as to how that happened.

My keyboard and fingers probably couldn't handle that long story:rolleyes:;):D

Matt Meiser
02-06-2008, 9:32 PM
I put a large screw eye in the wall or ceiling and then ran a giant zip tie through it and around the pipe. It worked great and is plenty strong. The giant zip ties are for HVAC duct work.

Jim Becker
02-06-2008, 9:38 PM
I use the 24" "wire ties" for this.

David Giles
02-07-2008, 9:54 AM
Sean, I used a tip from another Creeker and it worked well. Buy large diameter hose clamps from Home Depot. 5-7" size if I remember. Drill a hole in the middle and screw the clamp to the wall. The PVC pipe is well supported by the 1/2" wide metal band and there is some wiggle room for adjustment.

The clamps also worked well with the wood standoffs for floor supports.

Mike Wilkins
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I made my own since I was unable to find what I was looking for; plus the wallet was reluctant to give up it contents without a fight.
I used some 3/4" wide aluminum straps from the metal section at the local Lowes. After experimenting with some 4" PVC to find the right length, I used a hack saw to cut strips to length. I then bent the straps around this pipe to make the mounting tabs, and then drilled holes in each tab to drive screws with washers into the wall studs every 32".
Picture an upside down "U" with tabs on each leg.
Looks just like the ones in the catalogs & satisfied my frugal nature.

Sean Troy
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Great information !! Thanks all. now that the storms have passed, I better get back out to the shop and finish the installation. Sean

Stan Welborn
02-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I use the 24" "wire ties" for this.

Yep. Those 24" zip ties are fast and esay.

Jim Becker
02-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Yep. Those 24" zip ties are fast and esay.

And...easy to cut when you make changes down the road...which you WILL do! ;)

Brian MacDonald
02-07-2008, 7:48 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Cutler

Chris and Steve.
Sorry, but i had to do it.

Actually, Dan Fogelberg/Tim Weisberg.

:)