PDA

View Full Version : Bread board ends Breaking the rules

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-06-2008, 4:58 PM
Time to play Stump the Chump:

I'm taking apart an old maple table. It is well made dating from the 1950's. The extension slides on the ends are are wood. It's elegantly designed for a little dinner table.

The table top is laminated op from 3" wide flat sawn Maple.

The Bread board ends are glued along the entire length of the end pieces against all the end grain of the table top end. the joint is a tiny little strip of ridge that was raised along the length of the end piece and inserted into the end grain. It's about 1/8 thick and about as deep. They were generous with the glue~!

When I whack this sucker to dislodge the bread board end it breaks wood to come apart at that end grain seam.

This table was never in an HVAC environment and lived most it's life in the Mass Bay area. I took it to Maine where I used it in the 80's and then to NJ where over the course of 20 years it went in a couple of cellars one was always soggy so that mold was everywhere another was flooded often enough. The table top got wet. The Bread board ends didn't delamanate.

Taking it apart I recall all the hard and fast rules about bread boards I've seen here and other places about not using lots of glue; only gluing the center; using loose pins etc. All to prevent the problem of wood movement in different directions.

And ya just know that I've seen lots and lots of similar tables that were all age ranges too - still intact.

Help me out with this: How the devil didn't this construction tear itself apart?

Terry Sparks
02-06-2008, 5:13 PM
Help me out with this: How the devil didn't this construction tear itself apart?

I'm going to guess the builder of the table provided a groove that was deep enough to provide expansion of the tounge and didin't fill that void with globs of glue.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-06-2008, 5:32 PM
I'm going to guess the builder of the table provided a groove that was deep enough to provide expansion of the tounge and didin't fill that void with globs of glue.

Nope they glued the livin BeGeebus outta it.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-06-2008, 6:04 PM
It is Plywood. The plys are fully a 1/8" thick including the veneers.

That's now it stayed together. The cross grain of the ply negated the problem of wood movement.

I just took the table top for a pass on my saw and was admiring the wonderfully colorful grain along the cut and
?~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ HUH ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~?
Put my specs on and lo, it was plywood, really nice plywood made of all maple and all the plys are really thick.

Well, I feel silly.

robert micley
02-06-2008, 9:18 PM
i know the rules.10 years ago before i knew the rules i made a dining room table.3 pieces of very old mahogany 13 inch by 66 inch long glued together with a 4 inch maple wood 88 inch long on each side.my breadboard ends are 4 inch by 47 inch glued completely-maple wood.no cracks after ten years.i do not know how to explain this.

robert micley
02-06-2008, 9:25 PM
amazing- my wife gave me what seems like a great explanation why it has not cracked.if anyone is curious i will tell you folks.

Gary Keedwell
02-06-2008, 9:35 PM
OK. I'll bite......tell me...Please......:o

Gary

robert micley
02-06-2008, 9:46 PM
my wife said the wood is so old-at least 50 years that its moisture content by itself is stable.she thinks that i put so many coats of polyurethrane on it that it is like a shield that prevents any external temperature or moisture changes from getting to the wood.