PDA

View Full Version : Pad Printing vs. Laser Engraving

Jared Greenberg
02-06-2008, 2:46 PM
I posted this in the sign form as well, don't know which forum it applies to better...

I have been looking at a laser engraver for a few months now and just haven't been able to pull the trigger.

I started to look at pad printing. Some machines tend to be less expensive and since I am going to be using it for one application this seems like a decent way to go.

Anyways I will end up printing either way on the barrel of a baseball bat. Right now I use vinyl, which works fine, but isn't allowed by MLB since it is raised.

On the end of the barrel we have 3 lines of text.

Line 1 - Model of the Bat
Line 2 - Player's Name
Line 3 - Type of Wood and the Length of the bat

All three of these lines could change from bat to bat; which could be bat for pad printing with multiple plates...am I correct in this? If I am set up and making new plates would be combursome and costly (??). With a laser I could just type in what I want in the software and engrave.

One thing I do like about the laser engraver is I can scan someone's signature on the bat and engrave it, which is a nice touch and something that could generate some $. Also the engraver could spiral off into other forms of income.

I don't like the fact that I might have to bore through a wall to vent the thing. Pad printing seems a lot cleaner.

Any suggestions, comments, recommendations or sarcastic remarks are welcome.

Rodne Gold
02-06-2008, 4:07 PM
Pad printing is not at all suitable for info that changes. Why not sub out the work to a laser engraver near you?

George D Gabert
02-06-2008, 4:40 PM
Could you use the laser to cut a mask out of paper and then stencil the part with spray paint. This would be fast and masking paper material cost much less then pad material.

This will also allow for a smaller laser, as the part will not need to fit into the cabinet. A rotary fixture will also not be required.

Jared Greenberg
02-06-2008, 5:51 PM
Could you use the laser to cut a mask out of paper and then stencil the part with spray paint. This would be fast and masking paper material cost much less then pad material.

This will also allow for a smaller laser, as the part will not need to fit into the cabinet. A rotary fixture will also not be required.

I won't need the rotary attachment for this, the cuvature where I would be engraving wouldn't doesn't have a lot of curve to it. I've had a demo on an Epilog and it engraved fine into the wood.

That's a good idea....only one problem with this I see, what about the bleeding of paint under the paper, thus not leaving clean lines.

Mike Null
02-06-2008, 7:51 PM
Bleeding in ash is a major problem. I've even puts two coats of lacquer on the engraved area then color filled and still had bleeding. Now I refuse to do color fill.

Bill Cunningham
02-07-2008, 7:56 PM
Pad printing, depending on the ink, can put out horribly toxic fumes, and many inks must be cured with heat to be permanent.. Makes poking a hole in the wall look good!!

Roy Brewer
02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I have been looking at a laser engraver ... I started to look at pad printing.

Rodney is right. You may want a laser, but you certainly don't want a pad printer for the application you describe.

My experience is: over 85% of the people who get a laser engraver are profitably using it years later. Over 65% of the people who buy pad printing have discarded the process after two years.

Tracey Bakewell
02-08-2008, 12:57 AM
About a year ago I purchased a laser engraver, and about 3 months ago I purchased a pad printer. I have yet to do a job on the pad printer, have subbed out the jobs thus far. When I have tried using the pad printer on my own, I actually am glad I have the laser with the blower, I actually, leave the laser off, open the lid of the laser, turn on the blower and that helps suck the horrible fumes out of the air. I am not yet sorry I purchased the pad printer, that's just where I am to date. Please PM me if you will be pursuing a pad printer. I may be willing to part with this one, just haven't had the time to learn how to use it! :D