PDA

View Full Version : 2 1/4 HP Routers

Greg Pettis
02-06-2008, 1:23 PM
It is time for a new router for the table. Both Freud and Milwaukee have 2 1/4 hp models which seem well suited for table use - above table height adj., variable speed etc. - for around $170. Has anyone spent enough time with these to know how well they handle the larger bits at slower speeds? I don't want to spend the $300 for a 3+ hp router if the 2 1/4 will do an acceptable job. Thanks in advance for your comments.

John Thompson
02-06-2008, 1:59 PM
I can't speak for the large bit use Greg, as I have a 3 1/2 Milwaukee under my table. But.. I got the Milwaukee 2 1/4" Combo kit about 10 weeks ago and it handles everything I've thrown at it. That includes a 1" dia. x 1 1/2" length over-head brg. template bits free-hand that shaped some 1 1/2" curved legs.

It is the best hand-held I have ever had and I sold my Bosch and DW plunge after using it. The router is well made as the 5625..

Good luck..

Sarge..

Jim Becker
02-06-2008, 2:02 PM
You can spin the larger cutters with the 13 amp routers, but if this is going to be a dedicated-to-the-table machine, I highly recommend you do invest the extra money in a 15 amp router for the purpose. Some of them are sold well below $300, especially if you catch a sale. You will be happier in the long run with the extra power of a 15 amp router and if you use larger cutters often, it may even last longer. You'll often see the Freud and Hitachi 15 amp machines at attractive sale prices. The Triton, too.

Greg Heppeard
02-06-2008, 2:03 PM
I have the Triton 3 1/4 hp and it works great in my current table

Eric DeSilva
02-06-2008, 2:29 PM
I bought a Triton 3HP like Greg, and like it in my table--the DC actually works! I'd note they also have a 2.25HP version that was on sale with a bunch of accessories at WC within the last couple weeks. That one also had a base allowing above-the-table height adjustment.

David Gunn
02-06-2008, 3:17 PM
I have the Freud FT1700 2-1/4 hp router. I love the above the table height adjustments and bit changes. You can do anything with a 13 amp router that you can with a 15 amp router. It will just take a few more passes on bigger bits. If getting the job done quickly is important to you, I would suggest a 3hp router. That being said, I have never lacked for power from my router, but I have never tried to take off too much material at once either.

Alex Carrera
02-06-2008, 4:24 PM
Due to a sale and some gift certs I bought the Ridgid combo kit, and I've been very happy with it so far. I just leave the regular base fixed in the router table. It's got through the table adjustments as well. For $179 I couldn't pass it up.

scott spencer
02-06-2008, 4:26 PM
Can't go wrong with either of those. I've got a Bosch 1617 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Bosch_1617PK_2_Horsepower_Router_Combination_Pack/content_411480657540), Milwaukee 5625 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Milwaukee_3_1_2_HP_Fixed_Base_Production_Router_Wi th_Electronic_Variable_Speed_Feedback_Circuitry_An d_Soft_Start/content_245903494788), and a Freud FT1700 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Freud_FT1700VCEK_2_1_4_Horsepower_Variable_Speed_F ixed_Base_Router/content_411774455428). I use the FT1700 in my router table a lot for the convenient above table features. It'll spin big panel bits for occassional raised panels with no problem. If you plan to do alot of them, a 15 amp router has an easier time.

Alison Gray
02-06-2008, 9:09 PM
I picked up a Triton 2 1/4 HP and it works great for around $200. Also got the top review in FWW for plunge routers. I find it is very easy to change the bits when in my table as well.

Art Mann
02-06-2008, 9:18 PM
I replaced my 15A Hitachi M12V with the FT1700 in my router table for a while. The above table features were nice. However, I went back to the M12V because power trumps convenience when you really need it with big bits. I plan to build a second smaller router table for the Freud for use with edge profile bits and rabbet cutting. If you will seldom use use your router table for really big bits, it will work nicely.

Chris Muirhead
02-06-2008, 9:45 PM
The Triton 2 1/4 has worked very well for me in both free hand and under my table. Enough power so for whatever I have had to do. Cost at about $200 - well worth it.

Quesne Ouaques
02-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I also have the 2 1/4 HP Triton under my table. Very happy with it. Comes with lots of accessories, the most important of which is the above table adjustment rod.

Also has very nice safety features and the collet comes up through the table for bit changes with an automatic spindle lock. Single-handed bit changes and no more broken knuckles. I love it!

John Lemke
02-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I really like my Triton, which I've dedicated to a table. Bit changing is sensible and easy, and height adjustment is simple. But there's a limit to the diameter of bits it'll take, and some of the large panel raising bits are too big. I just checked the manual, and I didn't find a statement of exactly how big a bit it will take. A quick measurement (without pulling it from the table to get the rule closer) suggests it's somewhere around 2 1/2". (Ooops -- a little too quick. The FWW review says it'll handle 3 1/16" diameter bits.)

Dave MacArthur
02-07-2008, 12:40 AM
The 2008 FWW Tools Review is out, and I just read it an hour ago for "under the table routers".

They did not do 15A (3+HP) routers, but did 2.25ish. They said that the Triton HANDS DOWN was the clear winner across the board. The test included the Bosch 1617, Milwaukee 5625, and the Freud 1700. They cited numerous advantages and reasons, many based on actual above the table function. I bought the mag just for that review, and I was easily convinced the Triton was the way to go. And yes, they did say the Triton would do a 3 1/8 " bit, which was a bit smaller than all the others--some went up to 3 15/16. Be aware that many authorities, specifically Pat Warner, do not believe bits of this size should be used in a router table, especially a 2.5HP router--I believe Mr. Warner limits the cutout size on his offset-bases, and recommends a true shaper for larger.

HOWEVER, there is still one problem: as Jim Becker said, for dedicated table use where I plan on spinning large panel raising bits (and I DO, because I don't have $ or space for a shaper), I would get a 3+ HP machine.

This limits you to about 5 this year: the PC 7518, the Milwaukee 5625, the DW 625, the Freud (1700?) and the new Triton 3+HP. I would just go with the triton, except that the 3HP version was the original triton--and while it got many good reviews, the newer 2.5 HP version has been greatly upgraded with engineering tweaks learned from the 3HP. What I REALLY want, apparently, is the 3HP triton upgraded and newly released with the 2.5HP improvements!

Good luck, I'm in the same quagmire as you... so many great routers, so little space in my shop! To make matters worse, I currently have the DW625 but have to rebuild my TS router table extension to fit my wider PM66. I also have the rockler table with the jessem/rockler lift... which only holds the bosch/PC 2.5 HP machines! I'm looking to sell that table/lift off, build a new TS router extension, and put the Triton 3HP or better underneath, bolted directly to the table with no plate.

Good luck!