PDA

View Full Version : Need 55"+ CSM in SE Pennsylvania

Daniel McCurdy
02-06-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey everyone! Does anyone here know if there's someone with a large 55"+ csm anywhere near SE PA? Got a job for them...

Thanks!

Rob Will
02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Christian Science Monitor
Colorado School of Mines
College of Southern Maryland
Cluster Systems Management? (that's what I need)

So what exactly is a CSM?

Rob

Dan Owen
02-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Maybe custom saw mill?

Jim Becker
02-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Maybe custom saw mill?

If that's the case, Hearne Hardwoods (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com) has BIG one....but you'll need to bring the log(s) to them.

Mark Federwisch
02-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I think he is looking for a 4'7" Customer Service Manager.
:):)

Mark

Steve Clardy
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Mark

ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!

Daniel McCurdy
02-06-2008, 11:39 AM
ChainSaw Mill aka Alaskan Mill

Already called Hearne's...VERY expensive. Plus, they're 4000+lbs...I really don't want to have to move them. I had a 36" csm with a 395xp and was going to upgrade it to a 64" bar. Ended up decided it wasn't worth investing in that since I had a different option for sawing them up at the time. Sold the saw and csm. Now it appears my milling option is falling through...so I need to look elsewhere.

Daniel McCurdy
02-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Mark

Haha, good one!

Rob Will
02-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Duh....It had to be something simple:o.
The biggest I have been around is my 660 with a 36" bar. I use it for splitting big logs to fit in a woodmizer (27" at best).

There was some discussion about a year ago regarding ripping chains. Around my neck of the woods, none of the saw shops have ever heard of such.

In a side note to all of this......let us know what you find out (and who sells a true ripping chain for my CSM). Right now, I am simply running a skip-tooth chain from Stihl.

Rob

Daniel McCurdy
02-06-2008, 12:33 PM
...who sells a true ripping chain for my CSM). Right now, I am simply running a skip-tooth chain from Stihl.

Rob

I used a skip tooth with the angle ground to 0-5 degrees. Probably was closer to 0. I've heard from several big time CSM users that they prefer the skip tooth over the ripping chain from somewhere like Baileys.

Daniel McCurdy
02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
If that's the case, Hearne Hardwoods (http://www.hearnehardwoods.com) has BIG one....but you'll need to bring the log(s) to them.

For reference sake, Hearne's estimates the cost of using their bandsaw at roughly $1000/hr for a 50" log. Best case scenerio is an hour minimum.

Jim Becker
02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Dan, suspect that whomever you engage with is not going to be inexpensive. Sawing stuff that big is pretty much a specialty. There is another mill just north of Doylestown that can saw large stuff (they, along with Hearne and others supply Nakashima with slabs). I don't know what they use nor do I have contact info. If I can come up with it, I'll pass it on.

George Morris
02-06-2008, 1:04 PM
Hudockshardwoods.com lumber mill near norristown? Try google them ? George

Prabha Gopinath
02-06-2008, 1:24 PM
Good source for Chain saw mill ripping chain:
http://www.baileysonline.com/

They have other relevant items for CSMs.

Regards
Prabha

Brian Willan
02-06-2008, 1:38 PM
Hey everyone! Does anyone here know if there's someone with a large 55"+ csm anywhere near SE PA? Got a job for them...

Thanks!

Are you looking for a chain saw mill that size in order to create slabs from a log or other big timber?

If not, perhaps a circular swing mill might be what you are looking for. They are designed to handle really large diameter logs.

You could also check the database over at http://www.forestryforum.com/datasearch.html

Good Luck

Brian

Rob Will
02-06-2008, 1:48 PM
Dan, suspect that whomever you engage with is not going to be inexpensive. Sawing stuff that big is pretty much a specialty. There is another mill just north of Doylestown that can saw large stuff (they, along with Hearne and others supply Nakashima with slabs). I don't know what they use nor do I have contact info. If I can come up with it, I'll pass it on.

Hey Jim, this is a bit OT but how is the Nakashima operation doing these days?

What are they using those big slabs for and how are they drying them?

Rob

Daniel McCurdy
02-06-2008, 2:12 PM
Hudockshardwoods.com lumber mill near norristown? Try google them ? George

Thanks, I had forgotten about them. They're in Perkiomenville, which is right inbetween Pottstown and Quakertown. I called him and left a message.

Daniel McCurdy
02-06-2008, 2:15 PM
OK, I just got off the phone with the tree guy I use. He knows somebody that has a large lucas mill (for slabbing, not swing arm). I had recalled him mentioning this guy before and it sounds like we may be able to work out a little trade here...

Daniel McCurdy
02-06-2008, 2:18 PM
Are you looking for a chain saw mill that size in order to create slabs from a log or other big timber?

Slabs. Big beefy beautiful slabs.:p

Jim Becker
02-06-2008, 2:25 PM
Hey Jim, this is a bit OT but how is the Nakashima operation doing these days?

What are they using those big slabs for and how are they drying them?

Mira has the business running pretty well, both for her father's designs as well as her own. They have a large kiln on-site now and also a very large "drying/storage" barn that is to die for...

Chase Gregory
02-06-2008, 5:49 PM
Post a question on ArboristSite in the milling forum. There is a guy there w/ a home built CSM in the 72" range and others w/ setups in the 60" range. Might be one in your area.

It won't need to be that large a setup if you slab it down enough to quarter it.

An 066 or 394 would do fine for that w/ an auxilliary oiler setup, but anyone setup for 60" or more is likely gonna have an 088, 090 or 3120 anyhow.

That's a LOT of bar and chain to have lying around for occasional use!

I've an 066 w/ 36" setup and will be using it on some pecan trees I've got to remove soon for my barn project... Probably worthless trees, but it'll be fun making chips!:D

Chaser

Daniel McCurdy
02-07-2008, 9:57 AM
Post a question on ArboristSite in the milling forum. There is a guy there w/ a home built CSM in the 72" range and others w/ setups in the 60" range. Might be one in your area.

It won't need to be that large a setup if you slab it down enough to quarter it.

An 066 or 394 would do fine for that w/ an auxilliary oiler setup, but anyone setup for 60" or more is likely gonna have an 088, 090 or 3120 anyhow.

That's a LOT of bar and chain to have lying around for occasional use!

I've an 066 w/ 36" setup and will be using it on some pecan trees I've got to remove soon for my barn project... Probably worthless trees, but it'll be fun making chips!:D

Chaser

Already posted it on there. I'm going to assume you're talking about aggiewoodbutchr with the 72" set up. I actually was speaking with him yesterday.

BTW, he recently posted a thread on milling pecan. I'd hardly say they're worthless trees! Take a look at the grain in those boards he cut.