PDA

View Full Version : Made a couple of

Julie Wright
03-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Pens for my first Craft show. Better get turning, dont have to many at this time.

Julie Wright
03-06-2004, 10:17 PM
oops, guess you might want to know what type of wood they are.

1. Redheart
2. Osage Orange, my daddy sent it to me :)
3. Stabilized Box Elder, Chris J sent it to me :)
4. Purpleheart
5. Canarywood Chris I'm saving your piece, which is very beautiful, for a special kit.

oops, guess I was sleeping when I wrote this. The Redheart is on one end and the Carnarywood is on the other END ! :)

The middle is Curly box elder.

Jim Becker
03-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Veddy, veddy nice, Julie!

Tyler Howell
03-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Very Nice! Curvie! Hubba Hubba!;)

John Miliunas
03-06-2004, 10:43 PM
Ooooo. I think I just fell in love with Osage Orange! They ALL look superb, but that one, in particular, really stands out. Nice job on all of them! Let's see MORE! :cool:

Doug Jones
03-07-2004, 6:52 AM
Julie, your pens make mine look sick. Great job. I am a little confused about one thing though. Your descriptions of your pens, do they describe the pens as pictured from left to right? The reason I ask is, I always thought that Osage Orange (Hedge) was a yellow-ish type wood then darkening to a orange-ish color and yours looks red.

Rob Littleton
03-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Julie, your pens make mine look sick. Great job. I am a little confused about one thing though. Your descriptions of your pens, do they describe the pens as pictured from left to right? The reason I ask is, I always thought that Osage Orange (Hedge) was a yellow-ish type wood then darkening to a orange-ish color and yours looks red.

Now I aint the sharpest tool in the shed, but whether it be left to right or right to left, isnt the orange one the middle one still?

John Miliunas
03-07-2004, 1:13 PM
Now I aint the sharpest tool in the shed, but whether it be left to right or right to left, isnt the orange one the middle one still?

LOL! :D I'm a few fries short of a Happy Meal myself, but that's *exactly* what I was thinking! :D (Doug, no cuts intended, but that was funny.) Regardless, if that really IS Osage Orange, I gots to get me some! That's really nice. What finish did you use on those, Julie? :cool:

Doug Jones
03-07-2004, 1:51 PM
Congratulations Rob and John, you two are able to go to the next round. By passing the test that I set up, you have proven your worthiness.

Yeah, I guess I asked for the slamming on that one. middle is middle reguardless of the direction. Still does not answer my question though. Isn't osage orange more of a yellow/orange color. What I see is red, maybe my computer moniter is messed up.

Julie Wright
03-07-2004, 2:23 PM
used Hut friction polish, sanded to 12000 MM.
Thanks for the super pats on the back... :)

sorry Doug, I was sleep typing when I posted the pic, the osage orange is on the ___ the one with the black enamel kit.

John Miliunas
03-07-2004, 2:24 PM
Congratulations Rob and John, you two are able to go to the next round. By passing the test that I set up, you have proven your worthiness.

Yeah, I guess I asked for the slamming on that one. middle is middle reguardless of the direction. Still does not answer my question though. Isn't osage orange more of a yellow/orange color. What I see is red, maybe my computer moniter is messed up.

Hey Doug, we may have made it to the next round, but Julie's edit of the original post tells me YOU won the "Know your woods" contest! :D OK, so I take back what I said about the 'Orange. I want some of that stabilized Box Elder! Nice stuff! :cool:

Roger Barga
03-07-2004, 2:31 PM
You do great work and your Osage Orange pen is stunning. Where can we purchase one of these - do you have an online store?

cheers, roger

Chris Johnson
03-07-2004, 5:03 PM
I can check to see if I have any more laying around. Wanna trade some blanks? I probably have some stuff you might not have tried. I had a bunch of the red stab. boxelder burl laying around, but used most of it. Let me know if you want to trade.

Hey Doug, we may have made it to the next round, but Julie's edit of the original post tells me YOU won the "Know your woods" contest! :D OK, so I take back what I said about the 'Orange. I want some of that stabilized Box Elder! Nice stuff! :cool:

John Miliunas
03-07-2004, 9:12 PM
I can check to see if I have any more laying around. Wanna trade some blanks? I probably have some stuff you might not have tried. I had a bunch of the red stab. boxelder burl laying around, but used most of it. Let me know if you want to trade.

Hey Chris, first of all, my compliments on your signature line! That's a hoot! :D As for the trade, you bet, though I don't have a whole lot of what one might term "exotic". I just recently acquired a bunch of Black Locust, which has some beautiful graining to it, though I haven't tried it for a pen blank, yet. I've also got some Bloodwood, Walnut and a little each of Lacewood and BE Maple. If you're interested, drop me a PM! Thanks! :cool:

Julie Wright
03-07-2004, 9:36 PM
You do great work and your Osage Orange pen is stunning. Where can we purchase one of these - do you have an online store? cheers, roger

Roger,
First off, THANKS for the very nice compliment.!
No I do not have an online store yet. However, sure I'll sell you the osage orange pen.

PM me
thanks