PDA

View Full Version : Help with spindle ID

David Gunn
02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
I just bought an off brand chinese made lathe. I am linking to some pics to try and get some help with the spindle. I was told I probably would not be able to get standard attachments to fit my lathe. One pic has the live center, I think that's what it is called, removed to show the threads. The other pic has it installed. The threads in the first pic are either 10 or 12 tpi. The diameter is 3/4". There is a small hole you may notice, but it is only on the very end. It is not hollow. So my question is, does anyone know where I can find attachments that will fit my lathe? I would like to be able to turn pens and bowls. I was told that if my spindle was not hollow, I will not be able to turn pens with it. Any help will be greatly apprectiated.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/dlgdoo/spindle002.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh4/dlgdoo/spindle001.jpg

Tim A. Mitchell
02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Kind of an odd threading. I thought most of the 3/4" stuff was 16 tpi, but perhaps I am wrong.

You could use a collet chuck like item 014-0040in the CSUSA woodturners catalog (page 118 in the 2007/08 paper version). This would appear to require a spindle adapter, and if the threads are non-standard, you might need to have it machined.

You could also make your own collet, and screw it to a faceplate (might still need adaptor). This would save the $85 for the chuck I noted.

Edit: Throw a ruler on those threads and find out the count for sure. It will help you look for any adapters, etc.

Rich Stewart
02-05-2008, 11:49 PM
PSI has 'em. 12 bucks if I remember correctly. Then their chuck will screw right onto it.

Jason Hallowell
02-06-2008, 12:03 AM
As I stated in the other post, I think it's the same lathe as the HF, but with a larger motor. If that's the case, I think it's a 3/4 x 10tpi, but I'm not positive. It's easy to check for yourself- tpi stands for threads per inch, so just hold a ruler up to it and count how many threads there are in a one inch length.

If it is 3/4 x 10tpi, the only chuck that will fit it is a fairly useless 4-jaw independent that HF sells ($27). When I had mine, nobody sold an adaptor for it. but it looks like PSI now carries one.

Even with an adaptor, you will curse the tailstock every time you tighten it, you won't be able to drill anything centered, and your turnings will be out of round any time you try to adjust anything.

I might look closely at another inexpensive lathe, like one of the jet/rikon/delta mini lathes, or even the HF copy of the jet 1236. Whatever you end up doing, be safe and good luck.

David Gunn
02-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks guys. I put a metal rule on it and I can count 5 or 6 threads, depending on which way the thing is turned. The threads are only 1/2" long so I am not sure which one it is. I think I will pick up a couple of nuts tomorrow to check which one it is. A fellow creeker is coming Thursday to teach me some about my lathe. He has four lathes and knows quite a bit. I am really looking forward to that.

Christopher Hunter
02-06-2008, 9:21 AM
you could buy a oneway chuck and order the spinle thread insert to mach from their website.
Before I upgraded I used to own a Lathe just like it.
Obviously there is no Morse Taper so you are out of luck with pen mandrel, but if you get the oneway chuck you could improvise....

robert hainstock
02-06-2008, 9:53 AM
I just downloaded the manual for the HF 38515 which seems to be the same as your lathe. The spindle there is 3/4 12 TPI. I suspect that further reading would tell us what if any adapters are available for thier lathe. Good luck! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-06-2008, 4:30 PM
PSI also sells pen mandrels that screw onto your spindle. Possibly, you could find an adaptor that would fit your spindle and the screw on mandrel. ??? Good luck.

Jim Underwood
02-06-2008, 5:29 PM
I had one of these when I started out. I actually even bought a chuck for it from Harbor Freight. That was just before I sold it to the local Re-Tool and got a Jet mini. You can get stuff for 'em, but it's just a little weird.

When you eventually "move up" you'll appreciate standard spindle sizes, morse tapers, and cast iron a whole lot more....:D

David Gunn
02-06-2008, 9:25 PM
I picked up a 3/4-10 nut today at lowes, they didn't have a 3/4-12. I put the nut on when I got home earlier. It went on, but it was very loose. I am almost sure now that it is 12tpi. I looked in my PSI catalog last night and I found the spindle adapters you guys were talking about. Thank you again. The also have a pen manderel that screws on a 1"x8tpi spindle. If the adapter from PSI works, I should be set.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2008, 11:46 PM
One thing to watch out for is run out when you get all the adaptors, etc. hooked up. You can tell if one side of your pen is thinner than the other.

Paul Engle
02-06-2008, 11:55 PM
I have one got it from Cummins Tools loonnggg time ago , its 3/4-10 chineeseses size.....very loose...... hf has a independent 4 jaw that fits nice 25$. but it is a knuckle buster , motor is 1/2 hp min rpm is around 700 . make a good buffing station tho, manual belt change ~ 4 speed multi pulley.

Clem Wixted
02-07-2008, 8:50 AM
David,

There is a nut and bolt supply company about 300 yards south of you on Krueger Drive. Give them a call and see if they have the size you are looking for.

Clem

I picked up a 3/4-10 nut today at lowes, they didn't have a 3/4-12. I put the nut on when I got home earlier. It went on, but it was very loose. I am almost sure now that it is 12tpi. I looked in my PSI catalog last night and I found the spindle adapters you guys were talking about. Thank you again. The also have a pen manderel that screws on a 1"x8tpi spindle. If the adapter from PSI works, I should be set.

Randy Meijer
02-19-2008, 3:12 AM
I just downloaded the manual for the HF 38515 which seems to be the same as your lathe. The spindle there is 3/4 12 TPI. I suspect that further reading would tell us what if any adapters are available for thier lathe. Good luck! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Bob

I just looked at that same manual and it says the HF thread is 3/4"x 10tpi. I have never seen a lathe that has a 3/4x12 thread. You can buy an adaptet and a screwon mandel from PSI to solve your headstock issue; but you are still going to have a problem with the tailstock. You are probably not going to be able to instal a 60° live center because you probably don't have a Morse taper in the tail stock spindle.

The lathe you have is a very basic unit and designed mainly to turn spindles. Your best bet is to turn this lathe into a buffing station and buy a lathe that is better suited to turning pens and bowls.