PDA

View Full Version : Drill bits for Baron's?

Aaron Buys
02-05-2008, 9:37 PM
I got my first set of Baron's in he mail today. (Yay!) However, I didn't purchase the required drill bits with my mail order as I assumed I could find them at my local Woodcraft. Well I was right but the 15/32" and the 25/64" bits the had were very high end and were going to run me a total of $35. I went over to Home Depot but they didn't have them. Any place you guys can recommend I pick up my these specific sized bits at besides Woodcraft or should I just spend the cash and get the high end bits they sell?

Kevin McPeek
02-05-2008, 10:10 PM
You could just get a drill index, many have bits in 64th's from 1/16 to 1/2 or so.

Curt Fuller
02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
I know this is late advice, but I've found that the best deal is just to buy the kit that includes the drill bits and the bushings whenever you get a new type of pen kit. If the pens you're turning are Barons they probably came from Arizona Sillouette. I'd just order a few more kits and get the package with the bits. Probably cheaper than running all over town looking for bits or paying shipping for catalog or internet purchase.

John Grabowski
02-05-2008, 11:03 PM
You can get a large bit set from harbor freight and never have to worry about buying them again. I think the once set they have comes in 1/64 inch increments all the way up to 1/2 inch.

They are not the best bits but should get you through a few barons and once you sell them you can buy the best bits money can buy to make more.

Good Luck,

John Grabowski

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Ditto Curt. Whenever I buy a different pen kit I always make sure one kit has the bit and bushings needed. I would do like Curt said and order another kit with the bits and bushings if you didn't get them the first order. It will be cheaper than buying Woodcraft bits.

Marvin Hasenak
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
I have the Enco 115 piece drill bit set, covers just about every size I will use. The bits are not the top of the line, but at $30 something the cost is right for that every so often use. If I find I use one size bit more I go ahead an buy a good quality bit for that specific use. At the same time I always have the bit size I need. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=300-0050 I also have a st from Harbor Freight in metric sizes, the 2 sets have saved many miles looking for that one bit for a special project.