PDA

View Full Version : Laguna - yes, another Tablesaw thread...

Andrew Close
02-05-2008, 9:25 PM
i've heard great things about Laguna bandsaws, but i've never heard anything about their tablesaws...

since i'm in the market for a new tablesaw, i figured i'd ask whether or not any Creekers own, or have used, a Laguna tablesaw; specifically, the Platinum Series (http://www.lagunatools.com/platinumtsaw1.htm)

i've been looking in to various saws and manufacturers and think i've come up with a list that fit my needs: riving knife, good fence system, 3HP+, decent DC, and a good reputation as far as product and service.

0) SawStop > $3500
1) PowerMatic PM2000 ~ $2300
3) Jet Deluxe Xacta ~ $1600
4) Steel City 35606 ~ $1100
5) Laguna Platinum ~$1600
6) Grizzly 1023SL ~ $1000
7) Delta 36-831LA ~ $1600

unfortunately the SawStop and PowerMatic are out of my price range and i just can't justify spending that kinda coin as a part-time weekend warrior. the prices above are rough estimates found mainly on the manufacturers sites and do not include tax/shipping/etc.
the Jet is currently the front runner due to their current promotion ending April 1. the Steel City, Laguna and Grizzly are all roughly in the same position as i haven't had a chance to lay my hands on any of them. Delta has a great reputation and product, but they're currently at the bottom of the list due to the better pricing of their competitors. the Grizzly should be up higher in the rankings due to the comments i've seen regarding the 1023 and its price, but i'm still a bit hesitant without having seen it for myself.

so, any experience with the Laguna? any reasons (aside from religious wars) why any of these saws should be moved up or down in the rankings?

thanks for any help/suggestions/comments :)

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 9:51 PM
The Laguna platinum was only recently introduced. It's going to be hard to find many current owners.

Jon Todd
02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I have the jet and it is a fantastic saw. I rip 8/4 hard maple alot and it does good. I would say get the Riving Knife for sure.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/Jet_saw_2-3-08_012.jpg

dan mahler
02-06-2008, 8:57 AM
Andrew,

I currently have the JET Contractor saw JWTS-10 and am very happy with it. But I have done some research over the past months and decided if I ever upgraded to a new saw it would be the JET Deluxe Xacta 708674PK which is in your list.

Kacey Zach
02-06-2008, 8:58 AM
Another vote for the Jet here also. I picked one up from Amazon a few weeks ago, no shipping, no tax, less rebate comes to $1599. Very smooth running saw, passes the coin test no problem. The riving knife is great. The new quick release blade guard assembly is great, I have actually used a blade guard on all my cuts with this saw so far. With my old saw, removing the guard was a PITA so I left it off all the time.

I did notice that Amazon does not have my saw in stock anymore though. Pricing was similiar at Bibb Tool and Osolnik machinery.