PDA

View Full Version : Scrollsaw recommendations?

Rob Kutner
02-05-2008, 5:53 PM
Hello all,
I'm considering trying my hand at federal style paterae inlay and wonder if it's possible to get a decent scroll saw for $100. I'm a hobbyist and would rather not spend a fortune for occasional use.
Thanks,
Rob

glenn bradley
02-05-2008, 6:08 PM
I'll be watching with interest as I have not seen one that I would want until they got to more ($500) than I would spend for my occasional use. I'm hoping, like you, that there is a diamond in the rough out there that someone knows about.

Russ Sears
02-05-2008, 8:08 PM
I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Delta-SS350LS-Shopmaster-16-inch-Benchtop/dp/B0001VNRGC
which is a little more than you want to spend. I think you can get it without the stand for about $170. It's rock solid and works great.

Malcolm Wheeler
02-05-2008, 8:13 PM
..out there is the Eclipse if you can afford it - http://www.eclipsesaw.com/ - the reason is it uses a cable on pulleys, and hence the blade is at all times perfectly vertical, and has a stroke of over an inch. The only disadvantage I see with it is that is a bottom feeder only, no top feeding (for inside cuts). The best in the middle of the price range is the Dewalt - which is the saw I own myself. It has a movable arm, so you can top feed. However this gets tiring after a while, so I *HIGHLY* recommend the Jim Dandy lifting arm - http://www.jimdandy.com/products.html

Anothe hint is to mount your saw with the table tilted towards you - very helpful for long cutting sessions (couldn't do this in my shop unfortunately)...

Whit Whitfield
02-05-2008, 8:15 PM
Not sure what is available for $100 but the first saw I got was a Delta(about 12 years ago) and was pleased with it. I think the cheapest Delta is around $200 now. There are some cheaper but not sure about vibration and quality of cut. Since this forum does not have a "Scrollsaw" section, you can go to Wood magazine and ask on their scrollsaw section. There are several sawyers that can answer your question.
Whit

Dave MacArthur
02-05-2008, 9:27 PM
The 2007 Fine WoodWorking Tool Guide rates the Dewalt DW788 ($430) as the best overall and reader's choice. However, they also rate the Dremel 1800 scroll station ($240) as best value. The individual results make the dremel look very decent, and it has a great advantage of having a built in disc sander, and an LED light. When I've used a scroll saw before for mother-of-pearl and abalone shell inlay work, I was constantly taking the pieces over to a drum sander on the drill press to smoothe edges--I would have loved that disc sander!

The lowest priced they rated was the Grizzly G0537 ($130), and it didn't fare too well.

John Terefenko
02-05-2008, 9:57 PM
Hello all,
I'm considering trying my hand at federal style paterae inlay and wonder if it's possible to get a decent scroll saw for $100. I'm a hobbyist and would rather not spend a fortune for occasional use.
Thanks,
Rob

I am going to be honest with you I do not know what paterae inlay work is. But you will not find a decent saw for $100 unless it is on ebay and there I would be suspect. Any low end saw is very prone to vibration and that is a killer when doing marquetry which I think this is that you have in mind. Now if this is just some inlay work then I suggest a router and inlay kits. To do inlay work with a scrollsaw you need to cut through the entire piece you are inlaying in no two ways around that. If that is what you have in mind then here again you want a decent saw. The lowest priced saw I woulkd recomend with good results is a Delta SS350. Do not get the SS250 if you can even still find them. They run around $250. The dremel that was mentioned is prone to problems because of that Disc sander. Having a sander running next to my hands is not my cup of tea.
People have success with the RYOBI but here again it can be hit or miss. These are saws that get very little use. If you want to get a nice saw the Dewalt 788 saw is the ticket. For $450 you get a top of the line middle of the road saw. Low vibration and many people who do marquetry use them. Good luck in your search.

Jon Lanier
02-05-2008, 10:45 PM
I agree with John... The lowest I would go is for the DeWalt. Now if you can find one you'd be pretty lucky under 100.

Thomas Canfield
02-05-2008, 10:56 PM
Rob,

I have a Dremel that does a fair job and might run across one used for the $100 or even less. It takes pin and straight blades, variable speed, and several other features. It is not the top of line, but a lot better than my coping saw. It had better reviews about 5 years ago when i bought it. than the low end Delta.