PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector duct work / lights question

Scott Loven
02-05-2008, 3:53 PM
I just mounted 5 eight foot lights flush to the ceiling in my shop. Now I am thinking about putting a cyclone dust collector in the shop and wondering where to put it and where to run the duct work. Do I run it between the lights, under the lights or what? The lights are 5 feet from each long wall with 2 feet between each light on the ends. Looking at the optimal layouts for duct work it looks like I should cross under some of the lights to avoid a bunch of 90 degree turns.

What are your thoughts?
Scott

Jim Becker
02-05-2008, 6:09 PM
I'd make the duct work a priority and move the lights if they need to be relocated to accomplish your dust collection needs. You are correct in surmising you don't want excess turns and twists in your duct work.

glenn bradley
02-05-2008, 6:23 PM
The path of your ducting is directly impactive to your DC's performance. I would run the ducting as optimal as possible and move the lights to live around it as required. I would be unhappy in a shop with beautifully symmetrical rows of lights and a DC that was working at 60% of it ability due to poor duct paths.

Mike Spanbauer
02-05-2008, 7:11 PM
What I did is hang my 4" tube sets from short chain and where the lights interfered with the ductwork I simply lengthened the chain to have the lights drop just below the ductwork.

Works like a champ and the system kicks BUTT.

mike