PDA

View Full Version : East Indian Rosewood HF

Paul Andrews
02-05-2008, 3:47 PM
8" x 7" side grain hollow form, finished in BLO. This wood was from a young tree that was killed by a beetle infestation. The base was only 10" in diameter and the heart wood was just starting to form. To take advantage of the little heartwood available I turned this side grain. I would love to find more of this wood from a mature tree as the heartwood polishes to a shine without any finish.

Comments or critiques welcome.

Mike A. Smith
02-05-2008, 3:57 PM
Man that is pretty! Very well done Paul.

Bill Embrey
02-05-2008, 4:32 PM
WOW... I really like that form... and the wood.... WOW... looks like a pictures of an explosion :)

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2008, 4:40 PM
Paul - great form - beautiful wood! Love all the worm holes and that color really is striking! Very nice work!

Arlan Ten Kley
02-05-2008, 4:40 PM
Paul, that piece has a lot of character, both from the wood and the form! I really like it. Did you rough turn it green and finish it later, or was the wood pretty dry when you started? Was this tree growing locally?......

Paul Andrews
02-05-2008, 5:05 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Yes, Arlan the wood was sort of green so I roughed it and let it sit a month or so and then finished. The tree was growing in central Florida, where I winter. They are an exotic and can grow to quite a good size, unfortunately they are not that plentiful.

robert hainstock
02-05-2008, 5:07 PM
Excellant piece. E.I. Rosewood is so- neat to work with, and may jusy have the best working oder of any wood, like a dozen roses.:):)
Bob

Ben Gastfriend
02-05-2008, 5:30 PM
Wow! That is beautiful wood, the wormholes and figure and contrast add so much character, as does your form. Great job.

Mike Vickery
02-05-2008, 5:52 PM
Very nice piece Paul. East Indain rosewood has become a very popular landscapeing tree in my area in the past couple years, but I have only got hold of a mature tree once. The one I got had a thick sap wood band on it as well. It is a dream wood to work with, and I look forward to the future when the trees have chance to mature (and get cut down) ;-)
FYI - All the trees in the common areas of my subdivision are East Indian Rosewood

Arlan Ten Kley
02-05-2008, 6:19 PM
Thanks, Paul. As I'm learning, I really appreciate insights into methods, particularly successful ones! I travel on business into central and south Florida constantly (I'm in Tampa now...), so I may try to cultivate relationships with local tree service folks! I really like that wood!