PDA

View Full Version : Weather in Arkansas

Clint Jones
02-05-2008, 2:39 PM
Last week it was snowing. Today 72 and climbing. Is this typical for anywhere else???

Michael McCoy
02-05-2008, 2:40 PM
Yessir - last week it was in the 20's and today it's in the 80's here in SC.

Jack Norfleet
02-05-2008, 3:05 PM
A little warm for my lunchtime run but I ain't complaining.

Joe Pelonio
02-05-2008, 3:07 PM
Not quite, we had lows in the high 20's last week, this week low 30s. Currently 40 and light rain with high winds gusting to 50mph. I better go check the patio chairs!

Enjoy the shorts weather.

Dave Anderson NH
02-05-2008, 3:19 PM
Since you mentioned it Clint..... Even here in tropical NH last Friday was snowing with the occasional dash or freexing rain and ice pellets thrown in for variety. Saturday dawned sunny with temps in the high 40s, Sunday roughly the same and this morning it was snowing and raining again with the occasional thunder boomer thrown in.. The old saying about New England weather is that if you don't like it, wait a few hours. Even January, normally our coldest month can be fickle. We've had days in the high 60s, and when I left for Williamsburg at 6AM 3 years ago it was -28F not counting the wind chill.

Greg Cole
02-05-2008, 3:26 PM
Clint,
Here in KC we get 'bout the same as you do (north wind is cold Canadian air, south wind is warm humid air from the Gulf)... Like last week on Monday, it's 66 degrees outside and I drive home with the windows of the truck down. The next morning by 8 am is was snowing sideways?Yesterday, it was 60 something and today... a balmy 35 & nice n rainy.
Sunday, it was thundering while sleeting, slushing......

Greg

Eddie Watkins
02-05-2008, 5:34 PM
I'm right next door. Yesterday we were 78, today was around 40 for the high. We have one day where the record high and low occurred on the same day, it was 83 in the afternoon and got down to 17 by midnight:eek:.
Will Rogers said about Oklahoma " If you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes and it will change." The changes are more drastic in winter.

Eddie

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2008, 6:29 PM
Same way here and under a tornado watch until 22:30 hours tonight.

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
News update.....

Severe weather has passed this way. We are safe and the tornado's didn't come close to us, but some friends of ours no longer has a home nor any personal belongings. I also heard that one touched down in Atkins, AR which is where my lumber supplier lives. I will have to check on Vic tomorrow to see if they are ok.

At the time of this writing, 7 announced dead and untold damage in various parts of Arkansas. Let's remember the families of those that lost anything at all tonight, but especially those that lost family members.

Greg Stanford
02-06-2008, 8:01 AM
Last week we were in the upper 20's overnight, Monday & Tuesday of this week I was wearing shorts, today it's raining & turning colder again. We don't get snow, just cold rain. Had some of the rough weather to the north but looks like Arkansas caught the worst of it. Hope folks are OK.

g

Clint Jones
02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Ok yesterday 71 high. Last night devestating tornadoes and sideways rain. This morning I saw some light snow falling. I hope everyone in my area stayed safe last night I know there were several tornadoes and a few people lost there life.

Greg Cole
02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Clint-Dennis.
You guys to the south got it bad as well as those in TN. I've been very close to that kind of weather & that was close enough....
We had 4-5" of snow in the KC area and getting a wee bit more still this am....

Best wishes to those affected by the wrath of Mother Nature.

Greg

Stephen Beckham
02-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Well that storm system ran up our way and pushed a F1 through our little quiet town. Destroyed a couple businesses (.5 miles from my store), roughed up a couple churches, serious damage on several houses, loss of power, phones, cable and the list goes on....

The bright side - out of all the damage and destruction, only one 'minor injury' has been reported.:)

Colin Giersberg
02-06-2008, 3:03 PM
One of the affected areas (Moulton, AL.) is about 7 miles from the office I work in, and the storms came just a few miles south of where I live (26 miles from Moulton). We did have some hail, lots of lightning, and wind. Because of the coming storms, I decided to stay up just in case something did come our way. As a result, I didn't fall asleep until around 4:30 this morning, after most of the damage had been done. We did get
1 3/4" of rain, but I can live with that. It only helps the drought situation here.

Regards, Colin

Colin Giersberg
02-06-2008, 6:30 PM
The local evening news is reporting that over 100 homes were damaged and 40 were destroyed near Moulton. One home-owner said that when he looked out his window this morning, he wondered why his propane tank and garage were out in front of his house, when they were originally behind it. Turns out, his house had been picked up and set back down 100' away.

Regards, Colin

Matt Meiser
02-06-2008, 6:37 PM
Wow, Yahoo is reporting that the death toll from those storms is at 54. Unbelievable in these modern times with all the warning systems in place. It shows just how bad those storms were.

Ron Journeau
02-06-2008, 9:05 PM
Have been watching cnn tonite, hard to follow all the towns/counties that they mention, hoping everyone is okay down there. We offer our prayers for your safety.

Dennis Peacock
02-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your prayers. Right now, our family is in the middle of washing, drying, and folding cloths of our friends that were gathered up and found across a 3/4 mile stretch of the now missing house. I had to work today, but the family went to help search through the damage to try and find personal belongings of our friends. Fortunately, we do have a few loads of cloths that were theirs. It's just tedious cleaning out the debris, mud, dirt, and whatever else blew around inside the storm out of the clothing before we can even wash the cloths.

Eddie Watkins
02-10-2008, 2:52 PM
Wow, Yahoo is reporting that the death toll from those storms is at 54. Unbelievable in these modern times with all the warning systems in place. It shows just how bad those storms were.

Actually Matt, Ithink it is complacency. We see so many and, so far have not been impacted that we don't prepare properly. The National Severe Storm Lab is about 15 miles from here so we get excellent warnings. The May 3, 1999 tornado with wind gusts over 300mph passed about 5 miles from my house and a fairly significant tornado in 2003 was within a couple of miles and I still don't have s storm shelter. I priced them and was given a price of $2000. My TV cost more than that. I do have good intentions, just haven't done it. There is just no explaining stupid.:o

Eddie