PDA

View Full Version : Another which Bandsaw to buy questions with $600

Ryan Eldridge
02-05-2008, 2:08 PM
Ok, I have been reading a lot on bandsaws, and I have been looking for a couple of months here in Boise at trying to get a used one and nothing is coming up.

I have set aside $600 for a saw I would like to go lower but we all know how that is.

I am a hobbiest, I want to be able to cut some curves, resaw some harder woods, up to about 6" and get a dependable machine. I would like the saw to come with a fence so that I would not have to spend another $100 afterwards for a fence.

I can get a Shopfox 1706 14" here in town for $495 plus tax, or have been also looking at the craftsman 14" saw it seems like a pretty decent saw. Delta and grizzlys of course are considerations.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-05-2008, 2:11 PM
I was at Lowes this weekend, and saw that they have a 14" Delta for $399. Add the riser and an aftermarket fence, and great saw for a great price.

Roger Morris
02-05-2008, 2:28 PM
Ryan,
I don't think you can go wrong with the SF for the money. I have that model and love it. I have seen the Delta at Lowes and it seems like no comparison to me. The SF comes with a good fence and a decent miter included. If you want the riser you'll still be below $600 I believe.

John Bailey
02-05-2008, 2:33 PM
I think the Shopfox has a 1 hp motor and comes with a fence. If so, it looks like a good deal. It's, basically, the same as the Grizzly. It would be nice to have it bought local so you can easily get service. I think it would work well for your stated purpose. If it has the the 3/4 hp motor or comes without a fence, then I'm not so sure. I have a 3/4 hp, and while I have cut 6" teak and mahogany, I wish I had a bit more oomph! I built my own rip fence. The fence works well and I enjoy the machine very much.

John

John Bailey
02-05-2008, 2:34 PM
The SF comes with a good fence and a decent miter included. If you want the riser you'll still be below $600 I believe.

If the one you are looking at is the same model Roger mentions, your search is over.

John

Roger Morris
02-05-2008, 2:36 PM
Of course, if you want to save a little more cash, Grizzley make virtually the same BS. Spec sheet is identical except that you have aluminum wheels instead of cast iron, and you lose the enclosed base. The moter may be down an amp or two also, but still both are rated at 1 hp. Don't really understand that but it is what it is.

John Bailey
02-05-2008, 2:47 PM
Of course, if you want to save a little more cash, Grizzley make virtually the same BS. Spec sheet is identical except that you have aluminum wheels instead of cast iron, and you lose the enclosed base. The moter may be down an amp or two also, but still both are rated at 1 hp. Don't really understand that but it is what it is.

It's a good point Roger, but at $469(with shipping), opposed to $525(with taxes, just guessing), I think the the Shopfox with the closed base, cast iron wheels and slightly more power puts it over the top for the $600 Ryan has to spend. Of course that's me spending someone else's $56. Always fun that one.

John

john bateman
02-05-2008, 2:54 PM
If you have a Woodcraft store, Feb appears to be "band saw month" with various sales. They have Jet JWBS-14cs for $549 plus a $50 rebate is available. No fence though. A straight board and a couple of clamps makes a decent fence, anyway.
Amazon has it for the same price:http://www.amazon.com/JET-708115K-JWBS-14CS-Horsepower-Woodworking/dp/B00006ANS4

Jason Crees
02-05-2008, 2:54 PM
I have the Craftsman and like it. It is a clone of the Rikon model (a little less resaw height though). I got it on sale when they had a 20% off special. The fence is not the greatest, but it is ok for what I use it for.

jason lambert
02-05-2008, 4:01 PM
I was just in the same boat the jet was the one to get mainly because there is so may things avaiable for it if you ever want to upgrade. Like better guide berrings 12 " resaw kit, etc. Overall it is a great saw for the price.

Peter Quinn
02-05-2008, 6:29 PM
Wont find me saying this much, but have you gone to Home chepo to check out the rigid 14"? Used to work with a guy that loved his (65yr old former professional furniture maker/serious wood carver). Got great write ups first year out in FWW.