PDA

View Full Version : Shark Guard Hose Mounting?

Greg Cole
02-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Finally got my Shark Guard. Had to mill a small relief on the back of the splitters, 'cause the splitter hit the back of the throat plate inset (by about 3/16"). Nothing one pass with an end mill didn't take care of. Not sure how many others have had the same issue. No big deal, but after waiting since October, you'd think the custom made parts would fit.
Other than the minor splitter modification..... I'm ready to get going on the rest of the install now. Those of you with this style guard, how did you go about supporting the DC hose? I'm tinkering with making a swivel style boom arm (plagerising the Excalibur style) to attach to the far right hand reaches of the TS rails. I move my TS around some, so I'm not too keen on anchoring to the ceiling & my ceiling is pretty low, so I am very limited in where I can attach to the ceiling.
How's about showing some pics of Shark style installs?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Alex Berkovsky
02-05-2008, 1:31 PM
Greg,
Lee has some pictures (http://www.leestyron.com/gallery.php) on his web site that should possibly give you some ideas.

Greg Cole
02-05-2008, 1:40 PM
Hi Alex,
I've seen those and get the gist of some of the actual installation, many of those are just pics of the blade guard sitting on a saw.
Kind of hoping for a better look-see in hopes of borrowing someone elses design. There are quite a few who say they've got a Shark on their saw, so with a little patience I'll hopefully see one that strikes me as "the one". Then again, I'm not the patient sort... so we'll see.
I don't want to jury rig something just to use it, as I know that temporary stuff usually winds up being exactly the opposite.:rolleyes:

Thanks.
Greg

Mike Goetzke
02-05-2008, 1:57 PM
Did you get the 2-1/2" or 4" port?

I had the 2-1/2" port on my SharkGuad for my Craftsman 22124. Out of wood & PVC pipe I made an overarm from the right, but, had to remove it when I used my RT in the wing. I sold the CM and bought a Unisaw. I bought a Shark w/ 4" port. I run a 4" flex hose from the top/ceiling. I work out of the gagage and need to move the saw out to use it and had to spend some time getting the length of the hose just right and make sure the saw is positioned relatively close each time. I personally feel the 2-1/2" port design is better: 1) 2-1/2" hose flexs much easier than 4". 2) I can only open the blast gate partially because if I don't the greater suction provided by the 4" hose will pull up small cut-offs (I even had one suck upward, hit the blade, and bounce around inside the Shark).

Mike

Greg Cole
02-05-2008, 2:06 PM
Mike,
I have the latest version with the 4" port. Thanks for the heads up about sucking up small pieces..... never really crossed my mind. I can come up with a fix for that if need be..... But I did give up trying to use a floor sweep attachment for the DC for general shop clean up for that reason.....

Cheers.

Lee Styron
03-18-2008, 8:29 PM
Hi Greg.
I saw this the other day and meant to post then, but lost it again. ;)
If you could let me know the details and specifics of what you had to do to get your splitters to fit, I could then modify my pattern to suit. I can only make these as good and close as the guys I work with initially and then I rely on feedback to modify when something isn't quite right.
Part of the extra time you had to wait was due to me implementing some new cnc machines that I built and getting all the drawings and machine gcode done for all the splitters and brackets that I make. You did have to wait an unusually long time and I do apologize for that, but you should have received an even better product.
Perhaps none of the other guys I have sold this model to used the OEM throat plate or they didn't mention it not fitting. At any rate, It would be worth it to me to correct this so no one else has this issue. I would send you a new set of splitters if you could help.

Many thanks and again my apologies for such a poor fit.

RickT Harding
03-18-2008, 10:37 PM
I had the same thing on the one for my Delta contractor saw. Since I'm using zero clearance inserts I just opened it up a bit vs changing the splitter.

As for supporting the hose, well I have the smaller port and I end up draping the hose over the air cleaner which is above the saw. It's not ideal, but it works. :D

John Thompson
03-19-2008, 12:44 AM
Here ya go... not Lee's Shark Guard but a home-made version. The over-head carrier is pipe from old 1/2" pipe clamps from years ago. A couple of connectors.. a couple of L's and some nylon ties. Brackedt on side of right extention table pipe swivels in. Not high tech.. but cheap and works like a charm.

You'll have to open the show-thread as it won't let you do the same picture twice. Just disregard the text and look at the picture on the right. If not enough detail... I will get a better shot tomorrow between coats of shellac. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=721412&postcount=1

Sarge..

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 8:56 AM
Thanks Sarge.... that was along the lines of what I was hoping to put my eyes on. Now..... where can I get one of those dinner placemats? ;)

Thanks,
Greg

John Thompson
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks Sarge.... that was along the lines of what I was hoping to put my eyes on. Now..... where can I get one of those dinner placemats? ;)

Thanks,
Greg

Hee.......... I got mine from my lovelie's linen pantry when she wasn't looking. Hard to find the plastic place mats anymore. I did run across some clear plastic ones after I used that one. I purchased about 8 of them as you would be surprised what you can use them for.

That particular set-up keeps dust from spewing out the front of the angle crank slot. I cut the mat with a "slit" to follow the path of the angle shaft, Then cut a piece of sheet metal to go over the top. Drilled 4 small holes as pilots and sand-wiched the plastic mat in between. It opens when the angle shaft moves and closes behind it. Not 100%.. but about 85%-90%. Works great and I don't end up with saw-dust caked on my front-side.

Where can you get the plastic dinner place mats? Good question anymore as stated. I would suggest Walmart.. Linen & Things.. or other kitchen and bath type shops. Just ask customer service where the High-Tech Dust Control Department is or possibly the Cabinet Saw Dust Seal Department. I'm sure they will direct you too it without any further ado. :D

Hee.........

Sarge..

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
Hee.......... I got mine from my lovelie's linen pantry when she wasn't looking.
Well darn it, when I come upstairs from the shop, LOML's always got at least one eye on me.... something about using tupperware with the promise to bring it back... or using her dish rags and then she can't use them in the kitchen anymore???? :D

Cheers.
Greg

Steve Roxberg
03-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Greg,

I live in Kansas City and would love to see your Shark Guard, any chance you could let me stop by?

John Thompson
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Well Greg.. she's been missing the place mat for almost a year now and cannot account for the missing one. She doesn't come down too often.. but I am sure she has snooped looking for that mat. Just hasn't looked in the right place yet.

She knows me very well and even though has no physical evidence Yet.... I remain the "Prime Suspect" in a case that will never "Go Cold"... :)

Regards...

Sarge..

James Hart
03-19-2008, 1:11 PM
Hi Greg.
I saw this the other day and meant to post then, but lost it again. ;)
If you could let me know the details and specifics of what you had to do to get your splitters to fit, I could then modify my pattern to suit. I can only make these as good and close as the guys I work with initially and then I rely on feedback to modify when something isn't quite right.
Part of the extra time you had to wait was due to me implementing some new cnc machines that I built and getting all the drawings and machine gcode done for all the splitters and brackets that I make. You did have to wait an unusually long time and I do apologize for that, but you should have received an even better product.
Perhaps none of the other guys I have sold this model to used the OEM throat plate or they didn't mention it not fitting. At any rate, It would be worth it to me to correct this so no one else has this issue. I would send you a new set of splitters if you could help.

Many thanks and again my apologies for such a poor fit.

Lee,

My PM 66 guard arrived the other day and it is a perfect fit.

Thanks,

Jim

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 1:50 PM
Greg, I live in Kansas City and would love to see your Shark Guard, any chance you could let me stop by?

Steve,
More than glad to let you see the parts sitting on my TS top, where they've been sitting for a couple weeks now :rolleyes:. I haven't gotten the round-tu-it for installing it just yet... few other road blocks have jumped straight in my way (dog hit by a car, teenager moved out so LOML gave direct orders to completely remodel the bedroom including all trim & floor). I'll get the Shark gaurd round-tu-it soon... as soon as I get it all installed I'll try to remember to letcha know and post pics etc.
I'm 'bout as far up north as ya can get, within about 10 miles or less of MCI, KCI or whatever ya wanna call the airport.
Long answer to a short question, but I'd definately let you come take a look at it.....

Greg

mark page
03-19-2008, 2:53 PM
Greg,
You have to be somewhere's close to where I live if you are close to KCI. I am about 4 miles north of downtown Smithville, smack dab in the middle between Little Platte and W-highway boat ramps to the lake. Are you north, south, east or west of KCI?

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 4:21 PM
Mark,
I live at the northern most end of the N. Oak trafficway.... about 1/2 mile'ish east of 169 & the intersection of Cookingham/291. The water tower you can see off to the east of 169 is close enough I'd hear you scream if you were sitting on it.
Thinking we're all of about 8 miles apart as the crow flies.
Close 'nuff where a Creeker visit isn't much of a road trip huh? :rolleyes:
My wife calls me a hermit quite a bit, but I am thinking I can manage that one...LOL

Greg

mark page
03-19-2008, 4:49 PM
Yep, you are close enough for airmail via slingshot, smoke signals, or carrier pigeon, lol:D Heck, don't even need a pigeon, a local sparrow will do just fine:D
One thing I have been wanting to do for a long time is to get up to St. Joe and see Al's shop. Someday we both have off at the same times, and of course if Al is free, we need to take a road trip!!!

Greg Cole
03-19-2008, 5:16 PM
Rumor in the OTF is you have a boat......???
I have all my gear here but left my "girl" (aka boat) back in Vermont when I moved. :( I threaten LOML that I am going to drive back to VT and bring "her" back here with me, since us moving back seems to be "a couple years from now" every darn year. Said I'd be here 5 years at the most, 9 years ago???
I bring my 6 year old little dude up to Smithville and we fish from shore quite a bit....
Al's shop looks to be worthy of the ride, and all accounts of him are nothing but good.
Regardless of "venue", I'm thinking a Creeker visit is in the works (as long as ya don't mind me bringing along some "refreshments":D).

Cheers- time to go home!

G

Narayan Nayar
03-20-2008, 2:48 AM
Greg, I took some pics of my setup to show you what I've done with my Shark Guard. I know you say you don't want to mount anything to the ceiling but it works really well with the guard.

The 2.5" hose I've connected to the 6" duct running above the saw is a bit long, which I imagine costs it some suction (not enough for me to notice). I've left that hose a bit longer because I move my saw around a lot and the hose has enough slack for me to reach some of the more extreme locations in which my saw has to be located to cut some sheet goods. Also, that hose easily transfers over to the router table in the TS extension. I'm doing less and less of that on my saw now, though, due to back problems, so if the saw remains stationary for a while I'll cut some of that hose.

I've got the slack secured with a bungee cord.

It works well; I like my SG a lot.

Lee Styron
03-20-2008, 9:37 AM
Thanks for posting those pics, Narayan.
Alex posted a link to some that were in the gallery. Those are mostly pics of just Sharks. Here is a link to DC setups on my site.
http://www.leestyron.com/sharkdc.php

A lot of odd links can be found on the main shark guard page. You have to scroll down. These are deep pages. ;)

http://leestyron.com/sharkguard.php
Thanks, guys.

Greg Cole
03-20-2008, 9:50 AM
Narayan,
Thanks for the pics. I'm thinking I can do something similar, as I need to move my saw around depending on the day & task. Unfortunately, with the HVAC supply & returns boxed in the garage-shop ceiling and the 2 overhead doors... I'm pretty limited to where I can hang anything and either walk around or open the doors.

Greg