PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Wood Sources

Dave Novak
02-05-2008, 11:18 AM
I plan to attend the woodworking show this weekend in St. Louis, and I'd love to hear from any of the "locals" where the best source of hardwood lumber is in the area. I've been to St. Charles Hardwoods on Mid Rivers Mall before, but I've found that if I need a very substantial pile of wood they don't have the quantities or selection necessary. Any ideas? Thanks!

Darren Salyer
02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I've dealt with St. Charles hardwoods quite a bit. $10k+ a year, probably.They have thousands of board feet of hardwoods. only a small amount makes it to the rack, that seems to be picked through by the weekenders. Call and ask for a quote and they will verify quantities on hand before they will price it. They also have a south store off hwy 30 and will deliver there for pickup if its closer. PM me and I can give you a contact name and phone #. Darren

Dave Novak
02-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks Darrin, as dumb as it sounds I've never thought to ask if they have more than is in the rack. Since it seems your already in the warehouse, I never thought they might have more. Even when I've been after something as simple/common as 6/4 oak or 4/4 walnut, the supply in the rack has bordered on useless. Zebra, purpleheart, etc. has been a non-starter. I'll give them a better shot this weekend.

Kirk Poore
02-05-2008, 1:12 PM
The Wood & Shop (2650 Metro Blvd, off Dorsett near I-270, 314-739-0001) was very good, particularly for oak, when I used to go there. I haven't been there since they moved away from the airport a couple years ago, however, since I mostly go to sawmills now.

Kirk

Gary Herrmann
02-05-2008, 1:21 PM
Lumber Logs. Tom Sontag is a member here and will be at the wwing show. You also find his contact info via woodfinder. I rarely go anywhere else.

Tom, do I get a finders fee? ;)

Matt Woessner
02-05-2008, 1:52 PM
I was planning on heading to the WoodCraft store in STL before the show since I have never been to one before. I would assume they have a decent stockpile of hardwood?

Gary Herrmann
02-05-2008, 2:14 PM
I was planning on heading to the WoodCraft store in STL before the show since I have never been to one before. I would assume they have a decent stockpile of hardwood?

Not bad, but pricey.

Matt Woessner
02-05-2008, 2:26 PM
Thanks Gary, I just ordered some of the Behlen Table Top Varnish from them online and was planning on ordering more items but found the same stuff $20 cheaper from another online source. I thought it would be neat to look around any way.

Dave Novak
02-05-2008, 3:53 PM
Lumber Logs. Tom Sontag is a member here and will be at the wwing show. You also find his contact info via woodfinder. I rarely go anywhere else.

Tom, do I get a finders fee? ;)

Sorry, but what town is this in? I tried to find it in St. Louis and didn't come up with anything.

Dave Novak
02-05-2008, 3:56 PM
Sorry, but what town is this in? I tried to find it in St. Louis and didn't come up with anything.

Never mind, I found out what I needed by looking Mr. Sontag up in the member directory. Thanks!

Tim Malyszko
02-05-2008, 4:30 PM
You really cannot beat Tom's prices and the quality of wood is excellent. All the wood at Lumber Logs is in the rough so if you don't have a jointer or planer it may not be the best option for you. They don't really keep normal retail hours but are on the lot many Saturday mornings. If you catch them when they are on the lot (usually between 9 AM and 11 AM), their $150 minimum order doesn't apply. Just as an example, I purchased just over 50 BF of cherry, walnut and curly maple along with a few turning blanks and my bill was around $225. A similar purchase at Woodcraft, Rockler or St. Charles Hardwoods would have easily exceeded $350 if not $400.

Outside of Lumber Logs, the Wood n' Shop is the 2nd best option. They have a large selection of domestics and also a few exotics. The prices are reasonable for "retail" lumber and just about everything they sell has already been planned parallel to 3/4 stock, so you don't need a planer.

If exotics are your preference, Hibdon Hardwoods is the place to shop in St. Louis. They are located a couple of miles north of downtown St. Louis on Broadway and carry all sorts of exotic woods. They are an excellent source for Honduran Mahogany. I don't think they have weekend retail hours so you may be out of luck there.

Michael Short
02-05-2008, 5:36 PM
I have to agree with Tim and Gary. I went to Lumber Logs a few weeks ago for the first time and it was like going to the candy shop of wood. Real nice guys there to deal with as well. I agree with the wood n shop being the next best choice.

Tom Sontag
02-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Late, but never quite out of it, here I am.

For domestics, there is one clear choice. ;) Really. Shop around. (Darren, you are paying too much for domestics.) As noted, we cater to those who can deal with rough sawn boards and very infrequent 'retail' hours. I will be there after the breakfast this Saturday morning (skipping the WW Show). We average a presence every other Saturday morning.

For exotics, I have bought at Wood N Shop, Hibdon, and Woodcraft. Wood N Shop has more variety and Hibdon seems to be edging towards luthier stuff. I always look at wood and sometimes you see something that must come home!

If you search for any domestic hardwood at woodfinder.com and put in a zip code near me, we will pop up as one of the ten choices shown. Click and read and learn. Or just click my name here and "visit my homepage". It takes effort to find us since we lack retail hours and barely advertise (did you look in the Yellow Pages?), but that is part of how we sell for less.

Guy Germaine
02-06-2008, 7:48 AM
I'll post another vote for Tom Sontag (Don't tell him I said this)
Here is the link to his woodfinder site:
http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Great prices, and a great guy to deal with, so just ignore the strapless dress! :D

Oh yeah, if you happen to have Newfoundland dogs, bring it along and you get a HUGE discount, right Tom? :rolleyes:

David Elsey
02-06-2008, 8:01 AM
I have tried to go to this place many times and Tom is never open. I called for an appointment and he was too busy. I live out of St Louis and have given up talking to him.

I really would like to do business with him. Any suggestions? I usually purchase 300 to 400 bd ft at a time and pay cash.

Good Luck.

David

Gary Herrmann
02-06-2008, 8:04 AM
Good points about Wood N Shop and Hibdon. I pick up exotic turning stock at Wood N Shop periodically. Hibdon is a candy store. I try to only go there once a year or so.

Tom has some nice domestic candy tho.

Matt Meiser
02-06-2008, 8:10 AM
Several years ago I went with my uncle to a place that was in an old school that I thought was in the Kirkwood area but I'm not sure. No idea what the name of it was or if they are still around, but IIRC the gym was full of lumber. I tried looking them up in the phone book on my last trip to St. Louis since I had some extra time to kill, but didn't see anthing that I thought might be them. Kind of hard to take lumber home on a plane, but its still fun to look.

Gary Herrmann
02-06-2008, 9:17 AM
Several years ago I went with my uncle to a place that was in an old school that I thought was in the Kirkwood area but I'm not sure. No idea what the name of it was or if they are still around, but IIRC the gym was full of lumber. I tried looking them up in the phone book on my last trip to St. Louis since I had some extra time to kill, but didn't see anthing that I thought might be them. Kind of hard to take lumber home on a plane, but its still fun to look.

Think that's St. Louis Hardwoods.

Ron Bontz
02-06-2008, 7:57 PM
I don't know if anyone is already aware but there is a place in Pontoon Beach I stumbled across recently. Gateway Hardwoods. Prices were reasonable last I was there. I believe he has not been in business that long. The last time I talked to him he told me he could get me anything I wanted. I do not usually buy more than a hundred board feet at a time though.

Michael Short
02-07-2008, 7:19 AM
David,

Tom usually advertises on stlouis.craiglists.org when he is going to be open. Just do a search in the for sale items for lumber. I see his add there for saturday's 9-11 quite often. It is not every Saturday but it is usually in there a few days before the saturday that he is going to be open.

Later.

Jim Andrew
02-07-2008, 8:05 AM
There are usually urban sawmill guys around the edges of any big city. If you would put a post on Forestry Forum, I would bet there is a guy with a portable mill sawing lumber around there somewhere. Would just be lumber that is native to the area. Just a thought. Jim

Tom Sontag
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM

I knew that place Matt. It was in Meacham Park. In its day I considered it the best lumber secret in the area. They are long gone though.

St. Louis Hardwoods has a much smaller store nearby; not the other place's equal on many fronts.

Tom Sontag
02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
David,

I am sorry we have not connected. Selling lumber is a second job for both Joe and me which is why we have limited hours. We currently average every other Saturday morning. Best to call or email me or search STL Criaglist Tools for "lumber" ads to learn our next session.

Cash is good. We do not accept plastic.

I am developing a theory about lumber sources: The best values are highly correlated with inconvenience. Finding a sawyer who sells cheap wood (green or dry) is not easy and usually involves mileage. Running to a nearby strip mall store to grab another oak board involves high overhead . There is room for all of us. You choose.

Thanks all for the kind words. No referral fees or newfie discounts. Same price for everybody always. But if you are nice, you get shown the good stuff. :)

Jeff Raymond
02-08-2008, 6:53 AM
We've just had a great experience with Michael Morgan in PA. The shipping cost is minimal and the wood quality is top notch. On top of it, Mike is a great guy. http://www.palumber.com/Monthly_Special.html

He even throws in a few extra pieces to tempt you into something pretty cool.

Good stuff.